Receiving Numbers

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

[​IMG]

Remember,

Drop % = drops/catchable balls
    where 'catchable balls' = catches + drops

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    God dammit.... seriously?

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

ScreenHunter_04 Oct. 17 15.14.gif

[​IMG]

S.W.A.G. Status

6. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Damn right, he is a beast he doesn't drop anything as the numbers attest. He doesn't get tackled in the secondary, he runs over DB's. Its pretty sweet.

I was going Air Raid all out this season. I think I have run the ball 50-55 times this year. I don't do anything different in user games, JR, Mustang and BBJ can vouch for that. I was going run and shoot all year.

7. OMlawdog

3 drops is really sick. Anyone that throws the ball a lot knows that. Just sick.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    He still can't have more than twice as many receptions as the rest of the team at this point in the season. Surely you understand why that isn't sim... beast or not.

9. OMlawdog

I've got 4 guys in the top 20 or so. Im not just lining up one guy and abusing him over and over and not throwing the ball to anyone else. Trust me, with this guy I could. He is averaging around 8 catches a game (10 games), and the problem is that he breaks tackles and goes for at least one long TD a game, usually two.

Heck Gonzales is number 2 on the list. Im chunking it all over the place. I agree that he shouldn't be this good, but he is 6'7" 225 with 99 catching, 99 awareness and like 90 speed at TE.

I didn't even realize how big his numbers had gotten. I figured they were huge, but wow.

Im basically the anti Shaun. He throws it about 5 times a game, I run it about 5 times a game.

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yes, you are. I don't care that's he's a beast and you are playing inferior teams. I'm taking that all into account with my reasoning. Let me put it this way: In the last 5 years (the golden age of spread offenses), no TE has broken 90 receptions. Three have come close. All from Missouri. He is probably on par with a Coffman, Egnew and/or Rucker. Your offense is probably similar as well.

Spread the ball around more or I'll bench him. Receptions and yards.

11. OMlawdog

If he wasn't a TE would this be an issue? Knowing the offense Im running I could happily put him at WR and not put him at designated TE spot. I go shotgun 99% of the time, and don't throw to him out of any set that isn't a shotgun set.

Im happy to move him from TE to WR if you want. He is built like Terrell Owens.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I don't care that he is a TE. And yes, it would still be an issue that a guy has almost 2000 yards with 2 games to play. Missouri's offense is a good example of how to utilize a split TE. Rarely do they have their hand on the ground.

There are 4-5 WRs on the field, including him. Distribute.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    This game makes running a sim spread offense really tough. It is virtually impossible to have a short passing game.

14. OMlawdog

Just tallying up some numbers. He represents 31% of the total receptions of my team. He represents 42% of the total receiving yards for my team;

Justin Blackman last year had 111 receptions for 1782 yards; Representing 31% of the total receptions of his team and 39.4% of his team's total yards;

Alshon Jeffrey had 88 receptions for 1517 yards; Representing 34.9% of his team's catches and 45.4% of the total yards;

Now, that is just two I pulled up. SC is not a passing school OSU is.

To me, if we want to talk about un-sim and benching players I think the discussion begins and ends with teams not passing the ball (because it is too damn hard) and just taking advantage of the CPU not adjusting to the running game.

Do you know how many users have RB's averaging over 9 ypc? Now Ive shown how players have put up these type of numbers in real game, if you can show me a RB in college over the last 10 years that has averaged over 9 yards a carry for a season when rushing the ball more than 50 times, Im happy to re-consider.

15. OMlawdog

He only catches 31% of the passes I have thrown this year. Do you know what percentage Oregon State's leading receiver has? 31.9%

The problem isn't distribution.

Edited to add:

Ohio state's leading WR - 31.7% of receptions

Cal's leading WR - 29.6%

Rice leading receiver - 30.4%

Colorado's leading WR - 26.9% (By the way, Shaun has completed 26 passes this year) I mean really, 26 complete passes in a season?

16. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I am with Lawdog on this one.. if a coach didn't use his best weapon he would be fired. his stats are great, but he also has 2 other guys in the top 10 as well. Gates, witten, and gonzalez(KC) have all been their teams best and most used target..don't see goodell being like hay man your TE are putting up great numbefrs than some Wr you need to cool it.. If missouri had a te like mcdowell in real life his numbers would be astronomical.

17. OMlawdog

Shit, BBJ agrees with me. I felt good about my opinion, based on pure stats, but this throws a monkey wrench into it. I may have to reconsider my opinion.

18. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

its complete cheesiness...he should have to forfeit all victories over me since '09...

19. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I'm on the fence.

The only reason is because the CPU AI doesn't make adjustments where as in real life if a coach doesn't make an adjustment they get fired. Teams adjust to playmakers and they still make plays cuz they are just that good. Now in the game you could run the same route over and over and the cpu may never clearly make an adjustment to take away the route.

I trust lawdog isn't doing that but I wish the AI could make plays or gameplan to take away the strengths of opposing teams.

20. OMlawdog

As someone who ran a pro-style attack, I can without question it is much, much harder to try and pass exclusively and beat the CPU. There are less "money plays". The CPU pass rush is immensely better than the CPU run defense, and the number of picks versus fumbles is way weighted in favor of passing running more risks.

This isn't a situation where I have a 1000 yard rusher and one WR who is just getting a majority of my throws. Im throwing the ball 97% of the time, and he is obviously the best TE/WR on my team, but I also have three (that is a lot) who are in the top 20 in the country with yards and receptions. Hell Gonzales is No. 2 and Collins is in the top 10.
    I wish I could run crossing routes or post routes with unlimited success, but that doesn't work in this year's game. The CPU pass defense is the best part of their defense.

I completely agree that McDowell shouldn't have this many yards, but its not due to targeting him too much, its from the fact that he breaks so many tackles. He has a 90 BTK rating, along with 87 trucking, going against MAC DB's that don't have a prayer of tackling him. Now I guess I could just run out of bounds or slide, but looking at the RB numbers users are putting up, I don't see people taking their foot off the gas because they are worried about unsim statistics.

21. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Touché.

That's at 33% completion percentage...I'm trying to figure out how to pass more...I was 10-19 against Washington today.

22. OMlawdog

Passing is just hard in this years game. Add in a poor OL and a CPU pass rush that is unfair at times and it makes passing the ball extremely hard.

23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I know. It's why I went to the option. 3 seasons of 10 touchdowns vs 25 interceptions isn't conducive to success.

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    This wouldn't happen in real life. So there goes your argument.

Missouri does have a TE like McDowell in real life. They have had three consecutive TEs in that offense. All NFL draft picks (Egnew absolutely will be, probably 1st round). Brandon Pettigrew played in a spread at Oklahoma State as well.

You can't pick stats that favor you and ignore the ones that don't. This isn't a debate class. You are also passing the ball 45 times a game, 5 more than OSU. Your TE already has 1800 yards through 10 games, which is more than Blackmon had in 13 games during a bilitnekoff season. Crabtree had 93 receptions ( 20% of total) and yards receiving (21% total) during a bilitnekoff season (Detron Lewis was second on the the team with 76 receptions and 913 yards). When Freddie Barnes broke the receptions in a season record he only had 40% of his teams receptions.

We can go back and forth with stats all day. The point is that this is a video game and can easily be abused. There shouldn't be strings of games where your TE has 350 yards of offense and the rest of your team combines for 100 yards. Games where he has 13 receptions and your next three WRs combine to have 12.

I'm addressing the rushing issue, as I have stated. The live tuner that came out last season jacked with some stuff. You should address your situation as well.

25. OMlawdog

I guess it depends on what is more unrealistic a WR averaging 188 ypg, or a running back averaging 11 ypc? Which one is the bigger unsim moment?

I didn't take debate, you said above that I should distribute the ball. I pointed out that I distributed the ball as evenly as everyone else in the league. I still haven't heard any type of argument from you on this, so Im assuming you are going to have to admit that I distribute the ball or that everyone in the league is cheezing on distributing the ball and therefore their leading WR should be benched.

I don't see how you are addressing the rushing issue, in fact I hate to point it out, but you have a rusher that is almost averaging 11 ypc? That is actually the highest in the league. UCLA has a guy close to 10 ypc, and OSU's are all right around 8 ypc. I don't mind be called out on my game play, but if we are calling out BS numbers, then lets call it all out. The rushing numbers you have put up with one of your rushers are more unsim than anything I have done, yet I don't see the outrage and calling yourself out and threatening to bench one of your own players and if you are going to be telling people that you are going to bench a player because you think the stats are unsim that just falls flat to me.

Well, since you are going to use stats, lets at least use accurate stats:

EM v. CM - 36 completions, 15 to McDowell for 332 yards, rest of team 21 catches for 366 yards
    EM v. Buffalo - 31 completions, 13 to McDowell for 379 yards, rest of team 18 catches for 220 yards
    EM v. Western - 23 completions, 9 to McDowell for 257 yards, rest of team 14 catches for 187 yards
    EM v. Temple - 27 completions, 9 to McDowell for 252 yards, rest of team 18 catches for 377 yards
    EM v. Miami - 32 completions, 9 to McDowell for 222 yards, rest of team 23 for 365 yards

He has only outgained the entire WR corps, twice, and I agree that is excessive, but I don't use just one guy and dominate with that WR, I spread the ball around as well as anyone in the league and my stats back that up. Ive shown that his percentage of catches are consistent with other leading WR's in real life in college, I agree on the yardage, so I'll see what I can do about that.