Recent Opportunities

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Guys,

I know things have been a little hectic around here lately, and the turnover has been a bit silly. We've run into some real douchebaggery lately, some of it coming from pretty unexpected places, and it looks like we're at ten members for the moment. Here's how I plan to address the issue:
    1. I'm going to take more time in recruiting. Seems like, even if I snag a premiere member, I'm just as likely to add a douche, so I'm going to slow it down and not worry so much about being at 12.
    2. I'm going to inform you guys of impending changes earlier, so some of this stuff doesn't look so sudden. Some guys tell me in advance, so I'll be passing that info on to you. I'm also going to open up spots to internal team changes. The guys who stick should get first shot at everything. Right now, we have openings on both sides of the SEC. If anyone wants a team, say the word.
    3. Slider changes - we're going to open up other styles of play, like the spread run game. That should give us more styles to choose from, and give guys the chance to expand their playbooks a bit.
    4. Recommendations - I want you guys to chat with good guys you know, and tell me when a good member is out there. I've whiffed big time on the last few.
    ANyway, that's what I've been thinking. I may add a play-in game before an invite goesd out as well, if I can find the time.

Thoughts?

2. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Cool- I like all 4 points to your plan. Hopefully can find some more good users, but at least we have a good/stable core group.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I would be willing to take part in the play in game...I also think we don't necessarily need 12 people...10 is functional and should be fine...I also think I would like to take over at LSU. Not sure just yet though.

4. Goose

Goose Walk On

I love the idea of a play-in game. I say you start a thread titled "play-in game" whenever you have a new prospect, you post his name and any member that has the free time challenge them to a game, take notes on what you like/dislike about the applicant and send a conversation to all current members. I don't think we should have just 1 or 2 guys playing the games unless somebody has an awful lot of free time. I'm free almost all day on Saturday but that's really the only day I'd be able to do that.

5. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

We have done a play in game in Chaos. It has worked out well, I think. I will play my game against Auburn tonight and get up to speed on the summaries. It has been a busy week for me. From what I have seen so far, there are a solid, core group of guys here. That is a formula for a great, long-standing league IMO.

I know I have only been for two weeks. Gameplay wise my only two suggestions are the game speed (not a huge fan of slow) and the quarter length (8 minutes makes for a REALLY long game). Anyway, just my thoughts.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think there is a change coming in game speed, not sure but I think based on the slider notes that it could come along.

IMO 8 mins is nice because you can get a good sim style game in during that time.

7. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

'Bits, I realize the CPU games can be a bit long, but I've learned to slow down my pace a bit to ensure realistic stats. I now put more thought into my play selections and let a few seconds tick off the clock before I snap the ball. Give it a shot. IMO, it's worth it because the longer user games make for "fairer" contest. Have you ever been in a league with 7 minute/normal speed quarters, whereby your opponent puts together a 6 minute scoring drive? Then, after you go 3 and out, your opponent puts together a 4 minute scoring drive? Suddenly, there's 1 minute left in the half and you're just then getting your second possession.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

There is definitely a change in speed coming, but I'm all for keeping the game length the same. I run about the right number of plays, but I never snap the ball quick. I look over the defense, make adjustments, and so on, so maybe I like it because I burn more clock than most.

If we get the CPU offense right, we should be fine. When they can move the ball, the time moves. It only drags in a blowout when we're trying to kill clock. That's just my opinion, though.

9. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

All of it sounds good to me!

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is a good idea. Play-in games should be open to everyone who has been a round a bit. That way. no single person's opinion will be the last, or only one. I think an open invite to anyone with time to play is the way to go. That person can then tell me what's up, and we go from there.

Edit: I meant to quote the part where he said these games should be open to several of us to play in.

11. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

Hey just wanted to let you know my game never resurfaced it got lost in the christmas decorating. I miss this league. I miss the recruiting, miss the games, miss checking this forum as much as possible.

I will go get the game again if I could re-enter. Just throwing it out there.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I agree it seems like a great way of vetting out the douche bags.

13. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Loving the ideas. I'd love to take over Carolina but ... I established myself as the FSU coach and until they fire me, Ill be with FSU :)

14. bdub

bdub Walk On

Is Auburn open as a team to move to?

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

If Easy doesn't end up as LSU. He kinda asked first.

Well, to be honest, I don't really care. I'm pretty much about what makes you guys happy at this point. Having three one one side of the SEC isn't exactly a problem. It might make scheduling a tad tougher, but since I can schedule anyone, we have some room to maneuver.

We have a core group of guys who have been around a while. I'm willing to give those guys pretty much whatever they want, if it keeps things fun and doesn't turn the league upside down. We can reshape, remake, or transition however we like, and the off-season is coming, so the timing is good. I'll set up a post where we can talk about it and discuss how some movement would affect things.

I'll be moving to Texas to coach their 600 or so five-star recruits :thumbsup:

Look for the post, and we'll talk about any number of things, from recruiting to sliders to team choices. I'll pretty much move mountains for the guys who have been here for a long time, and the newer guys are representing pretty well, also, and shouldn't be bashful about asking for something.

16. egofailure

I'd just prefer not to have anyone step into the Auburn program until after this season. Handing someone the #2 team in the Nation would be silly at this juncture.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That makes sense. We could always wait until the bowls are over, or make the change if Auburn loses the Iron Bowl this week.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I tried to play the same team in two leagues back in '09. It's kind of a pain.

19. egofailure

He just doesn't want any part of Clemson. ; )

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And the rivalry begins.

21. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

What can I say? I hate Clemson ... playing them using SCar ... hmmmmmm almost tempting,m but im loyal to FSU ;)

22. egofailure

Love those Gamecock unis!

23. bdub

bdub Walk On

Archie if your taking Texas maybe I will move to Oklahoma or Nebraska so your not in that conference by yourself.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I wasn't serious about taking Texas. Just a bit or recruiting humor.

But if we wanted to open up the Big 12, I'd be open to that.

25. bdub

bdub Walk On

oh lol well I don't want to jump into another conference with nobody else in there with me. If Easy is going to take Auburn then I will probably stick with Miami.