Record Courier Interview with Coach Profio

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Pro, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Pro

Pro Walk On

Aug 30, 2011
    If you haven't been paying attention as to what is building in the Kent State football program, you should really be ashamed of yourself. Kent has long been a program with a losing tradition. Yeah they have the occasional star pass through, Josh Cribbs and James Harrison come to mind, but the teams have always under achieved on the field.

Flashes head coach Andrew Profio may have fixed those problems, at least it appears. Here is my exclusive interview with him.

Record Courier: Thanks for joining me today.

Profio: Always a pleasure.

RC: You were hired as the 20th head football coach in Kent State history. What did you expect from your first season?

Profio: Well I wasn't sure. We knew we had some talent returning, but also that the talent has been exposed to a culture of losing. I'm not a loser, and it took some time to get the kids believing that they could compete in the MAC.

RC: What did you do schematically last year?

Profio: We always use the run to set up the pass. Last year's offensive coordinator Brian Rock tried to keep it simple. As for our defense, we ran a 4-3 base. Primarily that was our defense last year.

RC: And what has changed this year?

Profio: Offensively, we tried to pass more. Our new offensive coordinator wanted to throw some new winkles into the offense. Some have work, some haven't. I kind of gave him too much of a leash, and towards the mid-point of the season, I wanted us to run the ball more.

RC: And defensively?

Profio: I have been calling the defensive plays the last two seasons. This year we knew we had some good talent coming back, but I think its the schemes that we run that makes us so successful. Its kinda like what the Pittsburgh Steelers run. Their individual defensive players aren't spectacular, but when you add them into the schemes they run, that's what makes them a tough defense. That's what we have here.

RC: So you're a Steelers fan?

Profio: Absolutely not, but you have to respect how they play defense.

RC: There's a lot of talk about the Golden Flashes making a bowl game for the first time since 1972. Your Thoughts?

Profio: If it were to happen this year, it would be very fitting. My alma matter made the OHSAA playoffs for the first time since 1988, and it would be great if the Flashes were in a bowl for the first time in 30 years.

RC: What would a bowl victory mean for this program?

Profio: It would be huge. But we can not be complacent with success. We have to continue to strive for success, and want to accomplish greater things every year.

RC: There are some rumblings you may not return to Kent next season. Your contract is up, and you are becoming a pretty hot defensive coordinator candidate.

Profio: Look, as of now I am the coach at Kent State. I like it here. I was born here, raised here, and will probably die here. All we are concerned about at this point is making to that bowl game and winning it. Because I'm sure you know, Kent is 0-1 all time in bowl games. We aren't just satisfied with being bowl eligible. We want to win the damn thing.

RC: Thanks for your time today coach.

Profio: Thank you.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Jul 12, 2010