Recruiting Advice - Contradictions

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by U824942, Jun 7, 2011.

1. U824942

U824942 Walk On

Hi, I apologize in advance for this post because I’m sure this has been discussed and debated. I did search the board for some tips on recruiting and while I found a few that are helpful and generally agreed upon, there are a few where the consensus is split. I was wondering if, in your experience, you would care to comment one or more of the points below:
    “Don't Fill Your Board At The Beginning Of The Year As Some Folks Suggest” – I have seen advice stating that you should fill your board to the 35 maximum recruits, however, you should select 10-14 and spend the majority of you time with them. I have seen advice where you should and should not fill the board; the proponents of doing so say you still earn points even if you do not speak with them. The other opinion seems to be that you hurt your recruiting opportunity with a target by keeping other players of the same position on the board. Thoughts??
    “Don't Offer Scholarships Early” – I have seen both sets of advice. I am in an offline dynasty playing WKU Hilltoppers (recruiting on AA) and it seems to me the only way to get any traction is to offer a scholarship early. When playing a 1*- 3* star team, why what is the benefit to waiting to offer a scholarship? And this advice also: “After You See Your Moving Up On The Board Offer Him A Scholarship, If No One Else Has Offered Him... Keep Talking To Him Without The Scholarship, If Your Number One On His List Wait Until After The Visit” – I would think I would want to get as many points as possible, especially if I am recruiting a 3* w/ WKU and no one else is interested. If a team higher rated shows interest 3-6 weeks later, don’t I want the biggest lead possible (and will the CPU NOT recruit a player if they are 200 or more points behind?)
    If You Have A Better Pitch Than Some One Ahead Of You, Recruit Against Them – While I generally agree with this, wouldn’t it make more sense if the recruit interest is “Low” or “Least” to try and sway first, then compare if you can get the interest level up?

2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Well.

I prefer to just fill my board with people who I want to sign/pump time into. I don't think that you get a bonus for someone sitting on your board without talking to him.

I like to send scholarships early. When you offer someone and you're #1, they might instant commit. They might also commit when you talk to them if you're #1 and have already offered them. Most importantly though, the extra points means you're going to be able to get them on campus sooner. Sometimes it's better to wait, but it's tough to tell because you don't know what the CPU/other players are going to do.

Recruiting against depends on what you're trying to do. If you have a big lead, you're not doing much by recruiting against them. If the pitches are close, then it probably won't be a big help points wise.

Swaying is really hit or miss. If you have 1 good pitch and the recruit's not all that interested, swaying can be worth it at the beginning of the season, but if it's a mediocre pitch it's not worth the risk.

The biggest thing is to focus on players who are interested in your school to start. It's tough to come back from more than like a 200 pt deficit if the schools above you are putting time into a recruit. I usually only go after them if I start in the top 3... unless it's the offseason recruiting.

3. U824942

U824942 Walk On

My biggest issue is that I need players (WKU) and there is literally no one with WKU on the board - I am always looking for pipeline recruits who everyone else is ignoring, and I still lose 2/3's of those to other schools. There might be 5 recruits (all 1*) in yr 2 that had me on thier board. Maybe my focus is a bit off - I have focused on 3* players (more toward the bottom of the 3* pile) in my pipeline - what is your opionion about going after 2* or even 1* players? I figured I wouldn't recruit 1* players since those are the walkon's if i don't get the player(s) I was after. Any thoughts on recruiting 2* or higher and letting the 1*'s walk on??

4. Wick36

1 stars are better than walk ons. Walk ons are 0 stars.

5. U824942

U824942 Walk On

Oh.....Well that changes things. Looks like I need to target 1*/2*'s Thanks for the info, hopefully its not too late NOT to run WKU into the ground.......

6. U824942

U824942 Walk On

Hmmmm....I figured I would add 35 recruits - everyone I thought I had a shot at to my board and BINGO! I got green arrows and all the sudden, WKU was #9/#10 on their list of schools. I reorganized the board a bit and added 3-4 new recuits (I dropped a few off) but didn't get any additonal interest from those recruits I hadn't spoken to. This makes me think that if you add recruits to your board who are, say 11-15 (off the board) and you add them, maybe you go to he top of the list in your "pool" (the pool beging schools that are 300-400 point behind, 400-500, etc.). At this point last year, I have one committment and was struggling to get anyone interested. Now, I have 9 interested recruits (who I spend 1 hr with) w/ about half of them with WKU as #1 on thier list of schools.

I think you are right - you do not get points per se, but maybe you get "reprioritized" within the list of schools. [Caveat: I only went after recurits with "10 Schools remaining" - if they drop to 8 Schools remaining", I noticed the #1 or #2 school on the list was getting some interest from the recurit, so I dumped them off my board. ]

7. Bill K

Bill K Walk On

Actually I watched a video with one of the creators of ncaa and they talked about recruiting. In the video brinkman breaks down the recruiting board and priority. He said for every individual you have on your board you get "hidden points" that help you even if you aren't talkin to them. Have you ever noticed that you go up on a recruits list even when you dont talk to them?

Also if you prioritize correctly you wont get hurt if you have 15 cb's on your board as long as you put the guy you really want on first. There is also a bonus for where they are prioritized.

8. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

You a PS3 guy?

9. Wick36

link?

10. Bill K

Bill K Walk On

I'm looking for it, but i see the Ncaa 11 site is pretty much empty. Either way it doesnt hurt you to fill your board. Just make sure you have your top ten and hit them hard. That is a consensus strategy everywhere.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

You absolutely do gain points by just having a guy on your board. Add a guy that no one else will recruit and don't talk to him. You can watch yourself either move up his board to #1 or watch your lead build if you're already #1.

As far as the OP goes, here's my tips:

I rarely fill the board to 35, and I try to keep as few guys on there as possible. Here are the main pros/cons of the 2 methods:
    Filling the board
    PRO: You gain points on recruits without spending time on them
    CON: You can waste bonus recruit bonuses (see "don't fill the board" below)

Don't fill the board
    Every week you can get 1 of 4 bonuses:
    1. (pink diamond)Someone not on your list with no interest will put you in his top ten
    2. (padlock)You will have 3 unknown pitches uncovered
    3. (X2)You get twice as many points for pitching, uncovering, recruiting against, and visits.
    4. Someone that has you #1 on his list and has an offer from you will sign instantly if you talk to him
    #2 and 3 will happen to 3 guys on your list while #4 happens to 1 guy on your list. #1 happens to someone not on your list. #3 and #4 are freaking awesome and can really sway a recruit towards your school. If you have 35 guys on your board, but you only speak to 12 of them, then on average, you'd only get 1/3 of the bonus that you could (IE. you'll only get 1 X2 player instead of 3 X2 players if you spoke to everyone).

What I do is I keep lots on my board for the bonus and accept the fact that I'll lose out on some X2s. I never put anyone on my board that I have no intention of signing (as I'd be pissed if I wasted a X2 on him) and when I fall too far behind on players I'll remove them (usually without replacing them) so they don't waste my X2s.

For schollies, you can instantly sign any player that has you #1 on his list to whom you offer a scholly so I try not to offer unless I'm #1. If I'm falling too far behind and need to make up ground quickly, I'll offer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wick36

Is that only if you bought the perk? Curious because I've never gone up without talking to someone (at least that I've noticed)

13. jello1717

I haven't bought any perks.

14. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Correct, you don't need recruit advisor to get these. They happen to everyone. What recruit advisor does is tells you what players have what bonus before you commit time to speak to players. That way you know who you need to talk to. [i.e. Joe Blow is eager, if you call him and offer a scholarship he will sign. Or Adam, Ben and Carl are looking forward to hearing from you (they have a x2)] Not sure what the exact wording is, I didn't get it this year, but you get the idea.

15. jello1717

Correct. You don't need the perks to get the X2 and instant commits and what not, but KillerNuts was asking me if I had bought a perk that causes recruits on my board with whom I don't speak to increase in interest. I was saying that even without any perks, guys on your board will increase in interest simply by being on your board.

16. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Oh, sorry. I agree with that btw. There was a recruiting chat witht the developers last year that indicated this was the case [pts for being on your board], don't imagine thay would have changed that - and it appears that way from interest gaining.

You can only really tell by comparing the interest in your school to the interest in a school that doesnt have the recruit on their board, because you may still be losing ground or not gaining on the schools that do have him on their board.

17. Wick36

I've never seen a pink diamond or padlock, which is why I asked.

18. U824942

U824942 Walk On

I see the dilemma......I did fill my board (just strting my 3rd yr w/ WKU) for my 2nd year and I noticed recruits who I hadn't spoken to all the sudden were adding WKU to thier list of schools. I have been filling my boards ever since, but I will reconsider that knowing I may be missing out on additional perks (below) for my targeted recruits. I currently have 12 targets and I am spending 50 minutes with each one and all (in my 3rd week) are #1 on my board. In order to to get th bonuses (I need as many players as possible!), I'll drop everyone off of my board and advance a week and see if I get any of the bonuses for the remianing recruits. The secret, as I see it for a low rated school, is to only go hard after players who have some interest in you. I was lucky in yr 2 becuase I won the Sun Belt conf (10-2 - and I added 4 FCS teams to my schedule. Not proud but I barely won my divisional games so I needed the wins) and went to a bowl where I was promptly smoked by Tulsa. After the season, I was offered a contract extension and my other rating went up a little (D to D+) or a whole letter grade (i.e. prgram stability D to B) so I have a bit of leverage now in recruiting. My only problem, in yr3 is that I only have 8 OL left and I think 4 of them are SR.'s - I'm up shits creek for next year.

I did want to mention that I have seen the Pink Diamond 1 time. During week 1 of my 2nd yr before I did any recruiting, I went into the recruits, hit Y for more info, and just scrolled through every recruit down to the 2*'s. Sure enough, there was 1 OL (3*) from texas w/ a pink diamond next t his head. I added him to the board and i jumped up from off the board to I think 5th with a little more than maybe 150 point in the 1st week. I didn't land him but I alway look during week 1 for the pink diamond. Not sure if it appears on different recruits throughout the year.....?

1. (pink diamond)Someone not on your list with no interest will put you in his top ten
    2. (padlock)You will have 3 unknown pitches uncovered
    3. (X2)You get twice as many points for pitching, uncovering, recruiting against, and visits.
    4. Someone that has you #1 on his list and has an offer from you will sign instantly if you talk to him

19. jello1717

Every week you will get 1 of the 4 options, so you can get the diamond in any week. I'm not sure if the chances of the options are 25%, 25%, 25%, 25% or some other chance, however.

20. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Cliff notes?

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Eeww... ADD strikes again.

22. U824942

U824942 Walk On

Interesting.....I'll have to look at the entire recruiting board when I have an open slot to add a recurit into my 12 person rotation. Damn you NCAA, as if recruiting doesn't suck up enough of my time!!! I guess I could always purchase the recruting "helpers".........so enticing, I can hear thier siren song now.........

23. U824942

U824942 Walk On

Really?.....It's only 18 posts

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

With paragraphs and paragraphs of useless information......

25. jello1717

Sucks to be you I guess.