Recruiting Class 2012 - Where are they now?

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by bravejaf, Oct 15, 2012.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I can't think of a good title for this, but I figured now was a good time to see how players from our first recruiting class were impacting our current teams. Outside of JUCO players most of the players from this class are redshirt-sophomores or true juniors.

Here is the link to the 2012 recruiting page: http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/the-tradition-recruiting-2012.80798/

I can't see the spreadsheet due to work CPU access but here are some players from my squad that are playing roles on this year's team.

ATH J.J. Pruitt - He is a redshirt sophomore that played a role last year as a freshman. Pruitt only played 15% of MSU snaps last year but finished the year with 9 TD runs and 8 TD passes. This year he is the starting QB and is 2-0 (technically 3-0 but he was injured for most of the UNC game).

WR Kyle Randall - The only :5stars: signing in this class and he was not an elite player. He is now 5th on the depth chart at WR and caught a TD pass this season. He only played in mop-up minutes last season.

ATH Marcus McDowell - He was the #3 CB as a freshman, slid back to #4 last year and is back to the #3 role this season. He is a good but not great CB. He would have benefitted from redshirting year 1 but MSU didn't have that luxury.

CB Kennard Horne - He was forced to start at CB in year 1 and his inexperience cost the Bulldogs some games. He was solid last year after sliding back to the #3 spot and this year he leads the Bulldogs with 3 picks.

WR Todd Martin - Martin is another player that got on the field early and he has contributed all 3 seasons for MSU. He is the 2nd highest rated WR on the roster but mostly plays out of the slot. Lacks the speed to be an outside receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Junior MLB - Brad Harper

Beast. I user-control this guy most plays and he just makes things happen on Defense. Forces fumbles, grabs picks, sacks, TFLs... Just a machine. He is a superb tackler that brings heat when making a stop, he sheds blockers with ease... Couple those skills with his size and quickness and you get one of the better MLBs in the country. I hope he stays for a 4th year, but he would make any NFL team very happy.

Junior OLB - Donnie Watkins

6'5 230lb a crazy-looking specimen at linebacker. I dont control him often, so most of his plays come through the CPU or last-second "B-Button" type stuff. Still, if you are going to have the CPU control someone, it might as well be this guy. Extremely athletic and able to cover a lot of ground with basically DE size. Have loved having him back there with Harper. He is the perfect compliment to Brad at LB. Another guy we would love to have back, but expect to leave early.

Junior DT - Roderick Thomas

Highest OVR player I have recruited so far. Freshman All-American. Like Harper and Watkins, Thomas has started since he was a Freshman and it is paying dividends in his Junior year. These three (and CB Joe Huffman) anchor the Defense and provide the framework for future TAMU defenses under Coach Max.

Junior CB - Joe Huffman

A :4stars: ATH, Huffman came in and Coaches knew immediately he'd be playing at Corner. What a weapon to have him out there as a defensive back. At 6'3 200lb, he can matchup with the bigger WRs, but still has the quickness to hang with smaller slot-type receivers as well. Started his Junior year with a bang, nabbing 4INTs in one game against rival Texas Tech.

Junior WRs - David Walker/Jaron Brown

Walker came in as a :5stars: WR and Brown a :4stars: ATH. Both have played WR in every game since they got on campus. Brown, a RB in HS, made the switch the WR with relative ease. His solid frame works perfectly at WR and his speed is a game-changer. Walker has done his thing. He is 6'2, not the fastest guy in the world but he can make less-talented DBs pay dearly. Hopefully neither of these guys go pro and both come back for their Senior year. A redshirt could have made these guys elite, but their complimentary skillsets help make each other better. 7TDs and almost 1,000yd receiving between the two of them. Those numbers look to get bigger and bigger as they climb the depth chart.

Junior DE - Eric Howard

The knock on Howard coming out of HS was that he was just "a guy" and up until this point in his career, he has been just that. Now, though, he is a starter and looks to make an impact. He didnt see the field his freshman year, but did record 3 Sacks in back-up duty last year. So far through the 3 games, he has matched his career total. That is pretty good production from someone who is "just a guy". Coaches are looking forward to seeing what he can do throughout the course of a season.

Junior TE - Michael Robbins

The only TE to not fall prey to attrition from this class, Robbins has turned into a pretty good player for the Ags. He turned in a respectable season last year, catching 21 passes for 355yd and 1TD. Coaches and QBs are still trying to find him more often, but he has only caught 4 passes this year. Dont discount him based on those receiving numbers, though. He has been a huge asset in the running game and often acts as a lead-blocker for TAMU's very successful running attack. A 6'3 260lb frame can help with that.

Junior S - David Craig/Jacob Marshall

If both of these guys were our starting Safeties, that would be great. Unfortunately for Craig, his role as starter has been usurped by a talented player that is one year younger than him. Marshall came in a FS, but had to switch to the other side of the field after the SS position became a dumpster fire last year. He is now starting and has played very well racking up 12 tackles and 2 TFL through 3 games.

Texas A&M has a few other players from this class in prominent back-up roles, but these are the guys from that class that make the team what it is right now. A very solid class has turned into the foundation of a very solid team.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Standford- Doing nothing, he's currently the 4th string RB. He was one of the 1st to sign but has yet to make an impact.
    Huggins- Currently #6 on the WR depth chart. Really don't see him doing much with us to be honest.
    Haumiller- Cut
    Thorne- #5 WR right now, he's a solid guy with good size at 6'4" but he hasn't shown to be a big time contributor yet.
    Cross- Cut
    Carr- Currently slot WR. He has been very valuable to us. Excellent slot WR...definitely not a starting guy because lack of foot speed but he runs excellent routes and makes great catches.
    Warren- #2 QB. Had his moments last year to withstand the injury to Josh Bordner, maybe destined for the backup role unless he can replace true FR Lucas.
    Cohen- #2 RB. Has some quickness to him but I have doubts he can become a starting RB for us...simply doesn't have the carry rating i'd like.
    Don Johnson- #1 KR, dime CB- He'll be a starter soon, has shown promise as a KR.
    Anderson- starting FB- Best move to get him on the field...has solid blocking ratings and can get tough yardage which is why we moved him to FB.
    Richard- Starting DT- We haven't seen much but he has potential to become a solid one for us with his strength.
    Williams- Backup SS- His time will come next year, can become a nice 2 year starter if all goes well.
    Lumpkin- Backup LT- Lumpkin could get some PT here depending on how the RT situation works out, he fits our scheme better.
    Darrell Johnson- #3 on DE depth chart
    Rick Mason- Starting center- 3 year starter he will be. Solid up the middle for now.
    Joey Jackson- Starting ROLB- Has nice speed and acceleration, i'm intrigued by him now.
    Ben Lewis- #3 TE- Not sure of Lewis role right now. Unfortunately he may find himself in a bind considering we love O'Connor as a pass catching TE.
    Brian Pitts- starting RG- Another kid who can be a 3 year starter.
    Adam Glover- Starting punter- He's getting better with his kicks.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

G Gary Larson - Came it at 78 OVR or so and this offseason transferred to Center where he improved to 87 OVR. He will likely start next year at Center.

DT Harrison - Presently the backup DT at either spot. Very capable player just doesn't have the STR of our starters. Has improved roughly 10 OVR points.

CB Isaac Phillips - 78 OVR ----> 86 OVR - Now our best cornerback. Not a shutdown guy at all so far, but has big games where he makes big plays.

MLB Chad Hines - I let him transfer to Maryland, where he is now 81 OVR and the #2 rated MLB on their roster. His lack of agility was always going to be an issue for me and I'd be surprised if he starts at MD in the future.

OLB Robert Rogers - Now 78 OVR, this redshirt Sophomore has played slightly above that level. He isn't very fast but has great size. He's in a continuing battle for playing time but currently is listed as the starter.

DE Greg Carter - A late 3-star acquisition who had decent ratings and needed to start right away due to lack of talent on the returning roster. Her has continued to start and is now an 82 OVR Junior so nothing special. He has gotten out of the gate slow this season according to the web site.

Not a real studly class. We're just glad we got one good starting caliber player in Phillips because without him our secondary woudl have been a disaster this year.

I'd much rather talk about last year's class.... lol

Mike Baker taking down the ball carrier in the backfield!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Hellisan - I will create a similar thread once we get into year 5. I like waiting 3 years before looking back at the recruiting classes. This gives the players more time to progress and find a role on the team. I don't remember many players from my year 2 class but there may be a few contributors. My year 3 class already has a few starters on the defensive side.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I know I was just joshing... Not much to be proud about from our year 1 class... Year 2 was much better, 3 was a step back but still got a couple studs.... Looking forward to the next installment. :)

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    My year 1 will produce likely zero studs...

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Here is my complete 2012 recruiting class:

ATH --> moved to QB J.J. Pruitt (R-SO 80 OVR) - He needs to improve in a lot of areas but he is the starting QB and a solid player.

HB Anthony Smith (R-SO 79 OVR) - He is #4 on the depth chart and behind a younger player, so unlikely to see starter minutes. Should be the #2 next season.

HB Ron Humphrey (R-SO 78 OVR) - He is #6 on the depth chart and unlikely to see significant playing time. He is behind 2 players from class of 2013.

WR Todd Martin (JR 83 OVR) - Played significant time in all 3 seasons and was the starter last season. Playing in #3 role this year.

WR Kyle Randall (JR 80 OVR - Will need to step up next season since we lose 3 of our top 5 receivers. He is the #5 WR this year.

WR Reggie Anderson (R-SO 78 OVR) - Has not played meaningful minutes but will be a key piece next season.

OT Jon Hall (R-SO 85 OVR) - Starting at right tackle and the only underclassmen starting this season for MSU.

OG A.J. Bell (JR 76) - Redshirting this season since the Bulldogs have 2 senior guards at starter. He will be a starter next year.

DE Ray Davis (R-SO 77 OVR) - Not an elite player but he is starting this season at right end.

DT Marcus Lynch (JR 85) - Was a reserve the last 2 seasons but stepped up to starter role this year. He is a solid player and one of the best from this class.

DT Chris Scott (R-SO 81) - Playing a reserve role this year but is a key sub for the defensive line.

DT Rory Campbell (R-SO 79) - Campbell is also a reserve but has 2 juniors ahead of him on the depth chart.

OLB Travis Hill (R-SO 77) - One of the primary reserves at LB for MSU. Freshman superstar Grant Martinez grabbed the only open OLB spot this season.

OLB John King (R-SO 73) - Looks like a career backup and right now he is 6th on the depth chart.

CB Kennard Horne (JR 85) - Was the #2 CB as a true freshman, slid back to nickle corner as a sophomore and is back to #2 this year. Solid player that was forced into early action due to depth chart issues.

ATH --> moved to CB Malcolm McDowell (JR 80) - McDowell also saw the field as a true freshman. A very reliable player at nickle back this season.

ATH --> moved to CB Todd Smith (R-SO 80) - Has not seen much action prior to this season but he is now playing in dime packages.

CB Brian Olson :4stars: - Cut

WR Calvin Newell :4stars: - Cut

DE Justin Greer :4stars: - Cut

CB Pete Stephens :3stars: - Cut

9. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

My players are living in a van down by the river.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    HB Cedric Butler 91 OVR SO (RS) - Currentely #2 HB, 132 carries, 704 yards, 6 TD; 39 rec, 573 yds, 4 TD; 1860 return yds, 3 TD
    2014 1st Team All-American (RET), 2014 Returner of the Year

C Jordan Frank 87 OVR SO (RS) - Moved from guard to center, in his first season as starter.

RG Brandon Owens 85 OVR SO (RS) - First year starting.

RT Brandon Sykes 83 OVR SO (RS) - First year starting

DT Chad Gross 88 OVR SO (RS) - First year as a starter. Saw playing time last season. 4.5 sacks in 2014

OLB Billy Mcrae 85 OVR SR (RS) - Came in as a JUCO JR. Started last year had 72 tackles (43 solo), 16 TFL, 5.5 sacks, INT, FF

OLB Adam Tolbert 88 OVR SR - Signed as a JUCO SO. 2013 Nagurski Award Winner. 148 career tackles (solo), 36 TFL, 20.5 sacks, 3 FF, INT

CB Darren Drew 89 OVR JR - Played in all 3 years so far, 2nd year as starter. 114 tackles (71 solo), 10 INT

CB John Newby 90 OVR JR - Played in all 3 years so far, 1st year as starter. 6 career INT.

FS Dane King 8 OVR JR - 3 year starter. 153 career tackles (97 solo), 6 INT, 3 TD, 3 FF

11. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

We have seven guys from that class that are contributing.

RT Cedric Thomas. He was a :5stars: and rated #1 at the tackle position. He is going into his second year as a starter. Excellent Pass blocker for a young guy.

G Trent Richardson was the #8 guard in the class. He has just recently beat out SR Shaq Mason to take over the LG spot. He is a great in both pass blocking and run blocking.

Ath-->QB Amir Bryant is now in the #2 QB spot due to the injury of starter Quentin Cook. He will remain in the back up role to our FR QB for the remainder of the season. We were planning on using him as a WR but that will be revisited next year.

Ath-->DE Vince Grimes started last season out of necessity but is in a back-up role this year. He is a key guy in the D-line rotation.

WR Cory Woods was the #13 rated WR and has played in some form since day one. He is now the #2 WR

TE Adam Wright has been the #1 TE on the squad since he arrived. His role has been minimized this year.

CB Garrett Crowder was the #8 CB and is our nickel back. He plays a big role on special teams and also rotates in at CB in our base package.