Recruiting Costs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Recruiting Costs

Here's what the situation is as I understand it:

Teams are going to drop in ratings as the years progress. Apparently, progression does not keep up in a way that allows teams to remain really good over time. Most of us are going to drop off a bit. In years three and four, it's likely that an A- teams is going to be a powerhouse, and a B+ team is going to have a real shot at winning it all.

Seeing this, and seeing the relatively minimal success we're having in the recruiting part of the game, makes me worry a bit. Many of our teams are going to decline faster than the norm, I think, and we're going to suffer more losses as a result. I'm really hoping that the good results from last year turn into good classes this year, because if they don't, some of us are going to be hurting.

I'd suggest putting in the time this season. That quick call, done-in-ten-minutes stuff might have worked before, but it's going to cause us some trouble going forward.

Just getting in my "I told you so's" ahead of time.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

When evaluating recruits, look at them by position. If I have three CBs on my board, all three star guys, and I look at their ratings next to each other, I can see which one is most likely to be more highly rated. It's not an exact science, but you hit more often than you miss. This year, I have three star guys I really want, and four star guys I'm staying away from because the look like potential duds. If all we're looking at is rank and star rating, we're rolling the dice. I prefer to bet on a sure thing.