Recruiting/Cutting Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Dec 13, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Recruiting/Cutting Rules Discussion

This was brought up in the recruiting thread so I figured we might as well discuss it now so we'll be prepared when the time comes in the offseason. There's not a written rule yet so it's kind of open for discussion.

I believe that during season 2 we had an informal discussion that we would like to toughen up the recruiting phase of the game. One of the ideas in doing this was to minimize the cutting players aspect since cutting guys takes players out of the game.

So, the question that has come up, is what roster size should we be allowed to cut down to?

Personally, I say either 70 or 69 at the least. With the scholarship limit at 71, that will allow us to cut 1 or 2 guys.

I guess since we skipped cuts last season and a lot of us got shafted for that we could maybe do 68 or something this year for a temporary limit, but I think 69 or 70 should be the rule in the future.

What do you guys think?

2. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

I like the limit of 69 and maybe instead of making it 68 for this year we could keep it at 69 but allow each person to recruit an additional player to make up for the walkons we got last year so it doesnt open an additional scholarship next year

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I have seven SS's on my roster, and most of them are garbage that I would have never recruited. Can I cut maybe 1 or 2 or 5 of them, please.

4. GoGators

Everybody's teams are rated a "B to B+" or better. So I really see no point in trying to make up for walk ons from last year.

You have to remember that the CPU recruits like a moron. That's why these rules are in place, to try and give the CPU a chance at staying competitive over the years when their teams are built through recruiting and not original rosters.

So yes, we have some walk ons and yes we have too much depth at some places we don't need. I hear Cole's argument, but at the same time I have 13 WRs on my roster so he's not alone.

Allowing us to cut these guys will hurt the CPU, IMO. Here's why:

1) If we cut these guys, we open up scholarships for us to fill next year. This will allow us to take more top talent out of the talent pool.

2) These players we cut are probably players that the CPU could have used or needed. It's a domino effect because it will trickle down and effect all the schools.

I understand it may not seem like a lot, but the CPU needs a huge boost in recruiting and that's what we are trying to accomplish

5. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

Why don't we just recruit to 70? Zero cutting. Fill your needed spot or you get a walk on.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I have seven strong safetys of which only one can play at a time, thats the equivelant of having 21 wr's on your roster. Problem for me is none of these guys will see the field so I will have to recruit another SS to actually play for me while these guys sit on the bench for the next three to four years. Whatever happens happens though.

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

This gets my vote.

8. GoGators

I like this too. I think it makes it more challenging and requires more strategy. You actually have to consider who you recruit and your needs instead of just going after the best players.

But I'd still like to hear from more people on this.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I say recruit to 70 qnd they only way you get to cut is if you accept a transfer or if you inherent 7 strong safetys. :)

10. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Ya no cuts works for me too than
    and Cole guy hopefully one of those 7 SS will transfer and one or two can prob play corner

11. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I agree here

12. GoGators

I would definitely look into moving these guys to LB. Or like Harvey said, stack up on SS and hope some of them transfer.

Alright, since we already have the 71 scholarship rule in place, we will have to keep the cuts for this season. Especially since we're already half way though and because everyone already has their recruiting boards set up.

I'll allow everyone to cut 2 guys this season so we can get down to 69. This will allow the new guys to shed some fat and it'll allow all of us from last season that didn't get to cut guys a chance to right our rosters. But not by much.

Next year however, it sounds like there will be no more cuts.