Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Recruiting Discussion

Of all the innovative things my guys put together when I ran the OFFL, competitive recruiting was by far my favorite. We managed to develop a system that: 1) curtailed the utter domination of user teams over CPU teams, 2) encouraged member teams to recruit against one another, and 3) kept user teams from all being 99's, while all other teams dropped into the mid 80's.

In this league, we need a relevant CPU presence. We're not all in the same conferences, so we need to have CPU rivals who can beat us on our bad days. One way to do that is to ensure that some of the studs go to non-user teams.

Here's how we did it.

Each year, a team was allowed one five star recruit, and seven fours, and no one was allowed to recruit over 70 total players. We called it the 1-7-70 rule. You can only recruit as many players as you lose. Going over was heavily penalized, just like the NCAA would do if you broke one of their rules.

So, if my Bucks were losing 18 seniors, I could recruit 1 five, seven fours, and ten three star & below players.

But that's not all. Each year, a certain number of highly rated recruits would be designated as "bonus" recruits. These recruits would not count against your 1-7-70 rule numbers. So, for example, if my Bucks managed to convince 2 five star bonus guys and 3 four star bonus guys to sign, I would then be able to sign a class of 3 fives, ten fours, and 5 three star and below recruits. That's a nice class, but not an unrealistically nice class.

Typically, bonus recruits would start at the top, with recruits number 1, 2, and 3. Then, every tenth recruit would be a bonus guy. 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, ... and so on into the 200's, when the caliber drops to three star.

1-7-70 allows everyone to get some real talent, but allows no one to run away with all the goodies. With at least a half-dozen members duking it out for most of the bonus guys, it makes it much harder to simply load up on new studs, and it also gives guys who are out of the title race something else to get competitive about.

It's been tested, and it works. It adds a whole new dynamic to the dynasty, and I think you guys might dig it.

But I'm a big boy. If you hate it, say so,

AG

2. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

How are bonus recruits designated?

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Simply by where the fall on the list. The top three recruits, and then each guy with a ranking that ends in zero. In some years, certain teams get lucky in how the list shakes out, but overall, it stays pretty even.

If you start an offline dynasty, you can see how it might work. Just look at the recruits and who they're interested in, and you'll see that while top schools are preferred most often, almost everyone has a shot at somebody in the bonus category.

4. ChaoticUT

Okay I think I get it now. So recruits ranked 1,2, or 3 overall and 10,20,30,40 and so on.. would not count against your 1-5* or 7-4* player count

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Right. You still have to stay at or under 70 total players, but how many of those recruits are studs can shift based on how you do recruiting against other league members. It's an incentive to compete for players.

6. Goose

Goose Walk On

I like it. Should we also stick to home state plus pipeline other than the bonus guys?

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We never have in the past. I've found that most of us will do this simply because pipeline guys tend to be the guys interested in us. If we're restricting based on number, I think that's enough. I think we'll be OK.

Besides, I want to encourage competition, so I want us crossing borders to bang heads with each other.

8. Goose

Goose Walk On

cool.

9. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

if it's been tried and it's worked in the past, i'm all for it.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The only friction I ever saw came from guys who seemed to think every recruit needs to be a starter in year one. EA sets up that expectation by making almost every recruit attainable. The system forces decisions in a way that makes sense - where you recruit what caliber of player will probably have to do with where your team is loaded and who you're losing. It's not perfect, but it does create a need-based system rather than a greed-based system, in my opinion. Plus, there's a group of recruits that we all follow publicly in the forums, which is fun. I usually create a table and track who signs with who.

11. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

that sounds like a BLAST....awesome!

12. DoomsDayD1978

DoomsDayD1978 Walk On

This recruiting formula sounds very intriguing A. Griffin. I like it!

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

One of the OFFL guys designed it back in the day. I can't take credit for it, but I sure can steal it.:cool:

14. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I say lets go with it.

15. ChaoticUT

I'm down for it

16. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Just need to make sure that the CPU recruiting in 11 is much better.

17. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Sounds like a great plan. Just to clarify, do you mean overall ranked or rankings by position. Like are the top 3 qb's bonus or the top 3 overal players? I am assuming the top 3 overall but wanted to make sure.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's done based on overall ranking. And keep in mind that your numbers can be affected by guys transferring, jumping to the league, and so on. You'll want to recruit guys you may or may not end up offering, just in case you lose someone who isn't a senior. And you'll want to turn off the CPU assistance so you don't end up offering too many players by mistake.

19. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

so im a little confused still (thinking i was bright before). are we talking about 1-7-70 with regard to who you can "target" or who you can actually get? Isnt it, at times, somewhat hard to know who you are gonna get at the end of the season when you get more than 1? if you get 2 5s the same week, you drop one? don't like that. or you just only go after 1 and hope for the best? dont necessarily like that either.

but DO like the idea of it all and some sort of regulation...very much.

20. ChaoticUT

its not about who you target its about who you sign. so in your scenario if your going after 2-5* you would ideally recruit them, set up visit, yada yada till both were ready to sign and then at that point you would have to choose who you would offer a scholarship to.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is correct. The easiest way to do it is not to offer more guys than you're losing in the senior class. With fives, things can get tricky. Personally, I go after "my guy" with everything I've got, target as many bonuses as I think I can realistically compete for, and then I add a few "backups." I may offer guys just to stay in the chase, but I make sure to drop the scholarships before they sign. Otherwise, I'm stuck with them.

Sign enough guys in the same week to go over a limit - and you pay the price. Oh, you get a douchebag card, too.

In the past, guys have lost access to bonus and five star recruits for a year, and been forced to bench the illegal recruit for two seasons, one of which can be a redshirt year. So, one extra guy will likely cost you several guys in the next class. So, be careful out there.

22. vatechhokie01

this does sound awesome.

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I noticed that it brought an element of planning back into recruiting. With limits, we're forced to kind of define our programs by the top talent we go after, and developing guys over time becomes almost as important as snagging the top guy in a class. Plus, it allows us to miss the mark. There will be times when you think you signed a stud, and got a little less than you thought. In the past, we'd just cut that guy and keep one of the other 3 guys we got at his position. Now we can't do that, so you may get the occasional bust, and that killer recruiting class you think you got might not pan out. Just like the real thing.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been asking around, and it looks like recruiting this year (at least, if set on AA, which is what I was planning) is quite a bit harder. I welcome a more difficult system, but it looks like some of us might not be able to hit even the base numbers laid out by the 1-7-70 system. I'm not worried about it, but then again, I'm playing with a recruiting juggernaut.

Anyone know anything about the new system, or am I gonna have to go and lab a few seasons offline to get a feel?

Also, anyone know if player progression is faster/slower/same as least year?

Thanks,

AG

25. vatechhokie01

decently tough. learnable, but if you havent done it once through, good luck...haha. LOVE the difficulty though.