Recruiting Fix - What to do? ALL READ

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Aug 6, 2010.

?

Do we restart the OD?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2010.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Recruiting Fix - What to do? ALL READ

Guys, so we all know that the tuning package was released yesterday to correct various things, the biggest of which for OD's is recruiting and progression. From what I'm hearing, this 'patch' will increase the value of incoming recruits and improve progression. However, I'm also reading that this WILL NOT affect recruits that have been created for existing OD's. Meaning that this years recruits (especially the 3 star and below guys) will be pretty much shitty, as in the default game out of the box.

So, my question (and our discussion point) is this: Do we move forward accepting that recruiting this year for the 'Davids' of the group is largely hosed, or do we reboot since we are only in week 8 or so of season 1.

Here is my view:

Pros - A reboot would allow for new recruits to be more meaningful and give the lower tier teams a better chance to compete down the road. One bad year of incoming recruits could kill the chances of average teams with lots of seniors. Also, we could start with adjusted sliders, based on what we've seen so far, and stick with them for the entire season to have a full year of data for analysis in offseason 1.

Cons - We'd be starting over and would be a bit behind the curve.

Please respond to the poll and let's try and get a decision by tomorrow night one way or the other. Also, please post your thoughts on why you picked what you did. I want this to be a team effort that everyone is ok with.

We aren't advancing until Sunday night or Monday due to some people travelling, so this should not hold us up.

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm of course going to vote keep going. I have a legit shot at a championship and I have the top recruit in the country. Plus I don't really want to beat up on 7 CPU teams again before playing my first conference user match.

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I voted to restart purely based on the fact that if all the 3 star guys are going to suck, the majority of us are hosed with this first recruit class. I was under the impression that the tuning was going to fix all this. Looks like I need to have this same discussion in my OD.

4. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Restart

The tuner set will effect the recruits next season just not this season. And probression will be updated for this season also.

But I still say restart. Most of us are having to replace 18+ guys and don't necessarily have the backups that can step in (I'm mostly referring to the MWC guys). I'm fine either way but I think a restart would be ok considering we're just in season 1 and that just means will lose 1 season at the end that some of us may not even care about.

Also, I'm not trying to run anyone off but this would be the opportunity for people that want out or need to drop this OD to do so and we'll be able to bring in someone new with them getting a fresh user schedule.

5. Dru50

I'm on the fence, but leaning toward the restart. My recruiting is going pretty well, but I think that for some of the middle tier teams, one bad recruiting class of 3 stars coming in at 65 and below (which is what most will come in at based on my testing when the game dropped) will make those teams non-competitive by year 3 or 4 when those guys have to play.

I want to see what the bulk of the group wants to do, and be the tie-breaker if need be.

6. Dru50

Brave, the goal one way or another is to adjust the sliders in an attempt to make the computer slightly more competitive. I think you and Hokie are the only ones who haven't had at least one close CPU game thus far.

7. Dru50

Recchem, if your league is mainly top teams, this issue may not affect you as bad. From what I've read the biggest issue that this fixes is how low the bottom end 4 star and the 2-3 star recruits were coming in at rating-wise. If you are playing with the OSU/Texas/USC's of the world, those guys aren't anything but training camp fodder anyway.

It impacts this OD because half the league is relegated to recruiting nothing except 3 star guys.

8. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I vote No No No......

1) For me personally I have put a lot of time planning and effort into this recruiting class and would hate to see it go to waste.

2) I do not believe that one year will hurt because the CPU teams are getting the same kind of players... It only sets us back if we are getting recruits coming in at a lower value, but since it is across the board the impact will not be that huge. The only difference would be future classes maybe more important, but that's fine. We're all ready halfway thru the season... there is no point in turning back. Like I said if user teams were the only ones at a disadvantage then fine, we could restart.... but since it is across the board I see no reason to restart the whole OD.

At the end of the day it is not my decision, but I will be very disappointed if we do.

9. Dru50

By 'competitive' I wasn't referring to the CPU, I meant that the gap between the 'Davids' and 'Goliaths' in this league will spread even further than before if the OSU's of the world have a recruiting class of guys in the high 70's and 80's, while a team like UNLV or Nevada has 18-20 guys come in rated low to mid 60's. This year there aren't the diamond in the rough 3 star guys that were there in last years game to give the lower rated teams a shot. Plus, imagine when the CPU mid-tier teams are rolling those recruits out in a few years.

In regards to your recruiting class, one could argue that your class and brave's at OSU could be replicated, since both your teams have good pipelines and recruiting bases (his more than yours obviously).

Like I said, I haven't decided myself, but just wanted to play a bit of devil's advocate.

10. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I vote yes. But will go with either.

As a lower tier team I have to bank on the 3*'s and when they all come in at the 60-64 range that doesn't help my cause. I have no problem with some of them being busts and coming in low like that, but, I expect like real life there to be the diamonds in the rough.

For the David's a 70-73 rated recruit could make your programs future.

Just my opinion, I love a challenge though so its whatever.

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Agree 110%

Yes I am Ohio State but that doesn't mean I was slacking on my recruiting. I spent a great deal of time on this class and I'm not anxious to start over.

12. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

MY rebuttal to this would be

1) Right before the season started you gave all the david's a chance to switch their team or abandon the idea of being a david. At that time the progression and rating of the recruits were well documented, researched, and discussed on this website and others.... So everyone was aware of this difference. Now the disadvantage you guys were okay with then, will no longer be a problem in season 2. I don't think it's fair to punish our recruiting because you decided to take a david before the season knowing the situation.

2) Also Clemson is not a 5 or 6 prestige school.... and our recruiting pitches are not nearly as good as those top teams across the board. I am 100% confident that I have my excel spreadsheets and have done more recruit planning than anyone on T3. And it's not my pipeline because some of my top recruits are from the state of Louisiana which is not a pipeline state for Clemson, and should be for the Texas schools.

If it was all about Prestige when recruiting then Florida St. Penn St. Oklahoma, Texas would all have classes so far that would put Clemson to shame. Also 3 if not all 4 of those schools has better pipelines than Clemson.

13. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Just to add to what I was saying about pipelines.... Out the 5 4 star recruits committed to Clemson (well 4 hard, 1 soft) 3 of them are from Louisiana which is not a pipeline for Clemson meaning I get no pipeline bonus.

Also if you look at the current rank of recruiting class you can notice some Goliaths behind the davids (this could change)

# 5 Ohio St
    #20 Clemson
    #32 Florida St
    #44 Oklahoma
    #46 Fresno St
    #55 Houston
    #65 Penn St
    #75 UNLV
    #76 Minnesota
    #88 Iowa
    #115 Texas
    #117 Nevada

So to say the top User Programs are going to pull in top recruits that would make the gap between David and Goliath greater is not true. Because most of the Goliaths do not have many 4, or 5 star recruits thus far if any.

14. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Interesting.

I voted no to the restart.

I agree with Shino's point that if everyone is getting shitty recruits then what's the difference. I don't like the idea of a restart when we're half way done with the season.

However, I liked some other points people made for the restart, so...I could be swayed.

I say tentatively no, but I'd like to reserve my right to change.

15. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

As a "goliath" that has battled through 3 users games with only 1 possibly 2 users games left(2 if i play twist again in the big12 champ game) voted not to restart. As with BDS Texas is undefeated and has a shot at a National Championship game. I don't believe 1 yr of recruiting is going to make or break the "david's". You guys are going to need more then 1yr of recruiting to build your teams up anyway. I understand the "david's" plight and will understand if we restart.

16. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I voted no as well, for same reasons as stated by the other "goliaths". How about lifting recruiting restrictions for next season for the "david's"? This would allow them to "catch-up" and cut any dead weight recruits from this class. That would be a reasonable compromise.

17. Jman

That is not a bad idea Hokie.

But I wouldn't open it up completely, I'd say something like your about plus 7 or in that range, that's a good notion though.

I voted yes but like I said, its really whatever, I'm just enjoying being UNLV.

18. Dru50

OK, well it sounds like so far the group wants to keep going, which is cool with me.

I'll talk to Perry about whether we want to institute additional options for cutting players for the bad teams starting in season 2.

19. BDSDIGITAL

I think Hokies idea is a fine one indeed. Let us cut some of our dead wood and go after some good recruits next season. It makes alot of sense.

20. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Restart please. But Hokies is a good idea, just dont think the Davids will fare well at already a skimpy class.

21. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Not from around these parts...So i wouldnt say weather or not to restart or not. As Virginia, I dont feel like it would be much of a problem. I feel like 1 year with these crap players used to fill roster spots anyway. I only have 11 seniors leaving, so that would be another reason why I wouldnt sweat it. If progression is fixed, as a young team, these shit 3* players wont do nothin anyways.

Just wanted to pop in and see what was goin on around here. Do what yall need to do, either way, Castor is still gonna be carryin my pads to wherever I tell him to.

22. BDSDIGITAL

anytime.....

go get my shinebox :D

23. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

^^^ One time offer, You wanna run one, ill put the chew clock on in the 3rd, just for you.....ok im done (dont wanna derail this thread)

24. Jman

HAHAHAHAH! Good times! Good times indeed!

Now get the fuck out 1ke!

25. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

I voted yes. I dunno, MN is having a good season but I know my recruiting class will be mainly 2-3 star prospects and I need a good amount of these guys to step in and play bc of all the seniors leaving. Do what you will but a restart this early in the OD isnt the end of the world.