Recruiting Issues

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Recruiting Issues

While I'm glad to see us spread out a bit, and not 1-10 in the best class race, it looks like some of us are having real trouble out there. Anyone feel like posting questions about recruiting? Maybe the guys can help those of us having real trouble salvage something out of the last few weeks.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have a question. Are we neglecting three star guys? A three star guy, especially one in the top 400-500, is typically a quality recruit. He's not going to beat out a returning starter, but he's usually on the kick team after a year as a redshirt, and by year three, he's either a goof backup, or a starter at a weak position. I've had many an All-American start as a three star pipeline guy. Well, maybe not many, but I've had a couple, and a number of All-conference guys.

Even a high two star is a decent player as a senior, at least half of the time. I suggest we start signing some guys we can get, because even though there will be more recruits available in the off season, there won't be enough to fill in all the holes we seem to have.

One last tip: If there's a guy getting no attention at all (and there are several) even if that guy doesn't have you on his list, you can sometimes get him. This is more effective on lower rated recruits, but three and four star guys can be swayed also. Try offering scholarships to neglected players. Don't spend much time, though. Maybe just offer and do nothing else. If you jump up their list in a big way the next week, they're in play. If not, let the scholly sit. If you don't become a player in a couple weeks, move on. It works. I'll sign a TE in a couple weeks because of this little move.

3. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Thanks for the advice AG. I know I'm one of the ones having a tough time. One reason is my lack of time I put into recruiting. A lot of times, I'm at work trying to get it done, so I really speed through it without being as strategic as I should be.

I'm going to take some time and read some threads to get some ideas. Any suggestions on any you've seen out there either on TF or OS?

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Do you guys think it is better to get your visits in early or wait till the end?

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Most of the best tips can be found right here. But if I find a good one, I'll post a link.

6. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

i like setting up my visits in the week 8-10 range. Hate when guys sign elsewhere before I can get them to campus.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It all depends on the recruit. Some guys want to sign early, and some want to sign late. Plan your visits accordingly. I posted some tips in another thread. I can't remember where it is.

8. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

My biggest problem is closing the deal w/ recruits. any tips on that?

9. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i send virtual hookers to all of their virtual rooms. takes real penicillin to though...weird

10. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Anyone looked at Tennessee's recruiting class? wow pretty good for a 3-5 team

11. Goose

Goose Walk On

I've either lost or tied up all of my 4 stars so I'm moving to 3 *'s

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Also, remember that winning counts. If you accomplish your goals, your school will gain prestige, and more recruits will want to play for you. Conference title games can hold the key to big recruiting years, and losses can take those classes away if you drop from, say, a five star school to a four star school.

I wasn't sure if we knew that.

13. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

what i love is thinking about how miami, fsu, and i have all promised guys we'll win conf championships...hilarious. but im SURE realistic.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Then you better win them, since your credibility will drop if you don't, and you'll have a harder time swaying recruits to sign.

I try not to offer more than a redshirt free first year (if I think I can use the guy right away) and a winning record against rivals (I think I can take 2 of 3 most years). I try to leave the rest alone.

15. vatechhokie01

see i never touch no redshirts seeing as VT is basically redshirt Univ. (as are most universities) and i hilariously hate, even in fantasy world, telling a kid he doesnt have to earn playing time or learn a year.

conf champion is a diff story. if i was really a coach, id be promising this every turn out of confidence. especially if all you have in front of you is a couple of lil bitches like mbmonk and justasample.

bring it.

16. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

You are damn right i promised that! and will do it every single season! Bitches!

17. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I didn't promise that. I haven't made one promise yet. Maybe that is why you bitches (VT, FSU) are taking all my damn players.....

:p

18. vatechhokie01

^^^...awesome to both of these comments!

19. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

IMO, it can be pretty hard as a middle-of-the-road program to nail down a good-sized recruiting class (of quality). In my off-line dynasties, this has sometimes been a struggle for me, particularly when I have a lot of scholarships to give. As a 3-star program, you may be good enough to garner decent interest, but you almost have to commit 60 minutes per week to your top 10 targets to have a shot at them.

I know how ranking your players of interest helps a bit ... and you may opt to put less time into those who have you ranked first (or top 3), but for non-elite programs, doing so can quickly get you behind. For that reason, I think it's crucial (if you're in my position) to really think about your top ten and go after it.

In the past, I've even identified hard-to-get prospects (4 and even 5 stars) and been successful - but it's a huge risk. You're almost always better off recruiting those who have a certain interest in your program, unless you're roster is relatively set and you can afford the gambles.

Anyway, any advice in "widening the net" would be appreciated.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Here's what I do to get "extra" guys. Each week, I look through the recruits, especially in my pipeline states, that no one is targeting. You'll find several guys in the top 1000 that no one is looking at. Even if these guys don't have you on their boards at all, take ten minutes and offer them.

Then wait.

If you pop up on their screens the next week, maybe you have a shot. If you shoot up their list pretty far, you definitely have a shot. With small schools, I may do this a half dozen times a week. I've bagged four stars doing this, when they initially had no interest. It's not common, but it happens. The key is to get them before the bigger schools, who will crush you, decide to spend the time to sign lower ranked players. Remember, the big boys are courting the big recruits. They'll ignore you for quite a while.

Hope that helps.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Signing big classes as a middle-tier team is about avoiding conflicts. Stay away from guys who are getting a lot of attention. If you're going to invest a lot of time, you simply have to win. Not as much room for error with the small schools.

22. egofailure

Couldn't agree more.

By the way, I like my goals this year.

- Beat Houston.
    - Beat Auburn.
    - Finish top 3 in conference.

If I can upset the Cougars, 2 out of 3 seem possible.

Got to continue the prestige climb! ;)

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Will that take you from a two to a three, or a three to a four?

If you get to a four, you'll get more recruits than you need to win the conference. You might be a couple years away from a nice little setup.

24. egofailure

That'd take me to a 4 prestige level, so then I'd be in a position to make some real moves. These next two recruiting seasons are huge for me.

SMU's stacked for a C-USA team this year, so I expect Carol to take the conference. But as a two-star program with a senior-laden squad, I also expect him to try and jump ship after this year. Otherwise, he'll have a lot of work ahead of him.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I plan on staying in conference and becoming the bane of your existence.