Recruiting Issues

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 30, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

carolinaeasy
    bdub
    mikedredd
    Loaf31
    BigSmooth33
    tbishop82
    biggcoug65
    UcanHateMeNow
    Goose

Guys,

Looks like we have a couple issues recruiting on the website. Easy lost some time in the off-season, and Goose lost his entire first week, leaving him way behind. He also lost three instant commits, all of which were relevant recruits, and one that I spent an hour on in both weeks one and two. I'm not so worried about my time lost (because I'm backing off that recruit now - he shouldn't be there for me to recruit) but we do need some kind of fix, so here's what I've been thinking:

We have taken on a new slider set that is likely to present a bit tougher challenge. This seems to be evident in our first week numbers. Maybe the bump in recruiting is a bit too much to add on in the same year. We know the old system works and keeps the CPU relevant, just as it is designed to do. The new system will work just fine also, but we're in a bit of a pickle with it. I'd like to suggest rolling it back, but giving the guys an incentive to do so. If this were OK with you guys, my plan would be to:
    1. Roll back to AA recruiting for this year, starting at the beginning of next week.
    2. Go with the 1-7-72, but allow a bonus.
    3. That bonus would be to allow each user to hand pick a single bonus recruit of their own choosing. Just one, but any one you want.
    4. 4 stars and below may use all 25 scholarships, if they choose.
    5. We move to Heisman in week one of the off season, at which time all restrictions go away, except for the cap on five stars, which we will set at 3 going forward.
    That's it. The rollback to AA lets Goose catch up. Guys who are leading on some big recruits do not need to abandon those efforts, but we don't unbalance the system by pillaging the top guys ... much. With so many new coaches in their first full season, this provides a way to reshape teams and rearrange rosters.
    If we did this, the bonus recruit would need to be declared before we advance. Declaring a bonus would not mean a recruit would be off limits - steal another guy's bonus if you like. But no declaration before the advance would forfeit the right to a shot at a bonus recruit. I don't want anyone declaring, losing the guy, and then declaring another. One bite at the apple.
    How's this sound?

2. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I am fine with that. I am a little confused by #4 in your post. I get that we are allowed 1 5 star guy, plus a bonus of our choosing.....are we still capping 4 star guys at 7?

3. The Dude

What I mean is, the teams of 4 star prestige or lower may give out all 25 scholarships. They will be restricted to 1 and 7 plus a bonus, but they can stack up three star and below guys, giving them more cut options at the end of the year, and a bit more flexibility to make their rosters look like they want them to look. It's unlikely that a four star prestige squad could get an 8th four or a 2nd five, so I decided to allow them a different incentive, that's all.

4. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

so everyone else (5-6 star prestige) is limited to 1 5 star and 7 4 stars? with the rest of their class 3 stars and below (plus your proposed bonus)? or are we restricted to the number of scholarships we have avail? sorry if the question sounds stupid just tryin to get an understanding before i do somethin wrong...

5. The Dude

First, nothing is decided - this is just a thought I had since Goose got royally hosed by the "beta" site (which has now been in beta for years). You guys can shoot it down if you like.

Basically, we revert back to last year, with a couple changes. We go 1-7-72, but instead of drawing from a pool of pre-determined bonus guys (like last year), we each pick a recruit to be our own individual bonus (and by bonus, I mean either our 2nd five star, or our eighth four star - whichever we choose). Those of us who are four star prestige or below, since they are unlikely to get a second five or an eighth four to be interested, can INSTEAD hand out all of their scholarships. As we all know, three star guys can be hit or miss, so being able to hand out more scholarships allows them to miss more, and keep more of the hits, while cutting the rest. However, if a four star prestige team would rather declare a bonus recruit instead, and stay within 72, that's fine also.

That help?

6. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

yeah, will just have to adjust my board as I have more than 8 4 stars... I am for whatever is in the best interest of the OD

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

My only problem here is what it will do to my lower level guys that I need to snag for this huge class that I need to bring in...

Whatever is best for the whole is fine, but I'm afraid this is potentially significantly disadvantaging me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goose

Goose Walk On

What do you mean, Smooth? Lower level guys as in more competition for 3* guys? I'm not sure what your saying. Not trying to be a dick, just asking for clarification.

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

So to clarify, my goal was to land as many 4*'s as possible and go hard at them... Lock up the lower guys (3 *'s) and minimize their impact to the overall class size. Only have two 5*'s that I really want...

I have like 26 open spots for this year. How I hoped to distribute it:

2 5*'s
    15 4*'s
    9 3 *'s

With this change, I'll need to completely flip my strategy. It's nowhere near the problem you've got, but it's going to fuck me up. That's all.

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

I understand. I've only got 17 spots open but I was leading or close second on 13-15 4* guys and now I'm anywhere from 4-2 but very far away. I'm going to have to completely change my strategy no matter what we do. If guys want to leave things how they are, I'll have a shitty recruiting year and hope to rebound next season. No problem.

11. The Dude

I have an idea, but I don't have the time to express it. More after class - I gotta go make the world a smarter place for a couple hours :)

12. I guess I wanna see Dudes latest proposal before I say anything.

13. The Dude

What I was thinking was we could make some allowances for larger classes, but really, a large group leaving is kinda on the coach. Who we redshirt and who we don't, how many jucos we take and when, who we cut and who we don't - these are controls a coach has, and we see big classes coming years ahead of time.

That said, I'm not sure is a big group leaving should change things much, especially since the needs created typically bring in top recruits who want to play right away, giving the coach more access to better players. That said, 26 guys leaving is a big chunk, and would likely bring in a different kind of class due to the interest in playing right away. I won't put a number on it, but I could see some small allowance given that would add slightly to the number of 4 stars a coach can take. Maybe a +1 for teams with upside down rosters (meaning they have rosters they can't fill no matter how many players they recruit)?

Thing is, my primary concern is for a guy who got hosed by EA and their crappy product. On Heisman, Goose won't catch up, and he lost three insta-commits, which is huge. We kinda have to address that. But I am not unsympathetic to others who would be put out by the change. I know it can work because it has done well for the five years we have been playing - so even if everyone isn't a fan, we know the league is secure.

Anyway, I'll listen to ideas if you guys have any. I'll even bend a bit on this requirement or that, as long as we only do so temporarily. We have a stable and deep CPU pool of talent. As long as we don't disrupt that, I think we will be fine.

14. Goose

Goose Walk On

So have we come to a verdict yet? We advance tonight and I haven't fixed my board yet. I'll do this tonight after work.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I have refrained from this conversation on purpose because I could be perceived as having a "bias" due to my current situation. However, I do want to pitch in my 2 cents just so I can say I did. I am a major fan of 1-7-72/give each guy 1 bonus to declare. I think it has proven to effectively build good cpu teams, while also making sure the user teams don't turn into 99s across the board. As I have said before I built a pretty impressive team at USC by following those guidelines. Now I am at Bama and I plan to do the same. When we go to wide open recruiting I fear we may make the CPU irrelevant regardless of Heisman recruiting. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to be accused of pushing an agenda. What we had worked, and it worked well. Why change that?

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Good job Easy with SoCar.

Again, I don't really care one way or another... Just make a decision and I'll adjust accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Dude

How about we go with the 1-7-72 (+1 bonus per person) and toss Smooth an extra +1 for being upside down with his numbers. It's a small concession, but Smooth stands to lose a bit in the change, since his huge class leaving is probably drawing a lot of interest from recruits. Besides, he'll likely want some jucos in there to spread that 26 a bit so he doesn't have it again in a few seasons.

I'll start a thread for declaring bonus guys.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Why don't we give him +2

That seems a bit more flexible to me.

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

Would a 2-12-72 kill the CPU competition? I was just looking at OSU's recruiting class so far and according to scout.com they have 4 5*'s and and 10 4*'s.

more 4's would allow guys that have more spots to fill to fill them quicker. I know evertime I get a 3* they're always 65 or lower. My talent evaluation sucks. carolinaeasy if you could give me pointers on what to look at in 3's I'd appretiate it.

20. The Dude

If the guys are good with it, I can be.

But with 26 spots, seems like 3 star jucos who can play right away (or within a year or so) are going to be a big part of this class. But +2 is ok with me if it's ok with the rest.

21. The Dude

With three stars, it's more about the rank. 3's in the 3 and 4 hundreds tend to be rated higher. 3's in the 700's and up tend to be in the 60s. This is just a rough estimate, but a three star in the low to mid 300 is almost as good as a four, much of the time, at least.

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Dude

After a minute of thought - how about a +1 if it's a five, and a +2 if it's two fours?

That fair?

BigSmooth33

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

The Dude sounds good to me on the last post

Goose What I always look for in my 3 stars are players who fit my "system". I know how I am going to play this game, I have a play calling style and for the most part I stick to that style. This is why I might not always have a 99 rated team, but I will play well with them. I like big, lanky DBs and WR who can stretch the field. So I go out in the three stars and search for guys who fit my mold. I do that for every position. I have an attribute or pair of attributes I am looking for and when a guy looks good there I go after him hard.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  24. The Dude

This is good advice also. IN three stars, I try for guys who might be good as redshirt juniors and up - and especially, I go for the physical traits I like and seek out guys who do one thing really well. Maybe a guy is in the 60s, but he's 330 lbs and can eat space in the middle. Maybe he's a receiver with average speed and skills, but he's 6-6. Maybe he's a power back with slow feet, but B+ trucking coming in. These are examples of the kinds of things I find interesting in lower ranked recruits.

But the guys at the top end of the three star range - these are typically solid recruits. You can miss for sure, but most will show a skill range noticeably better than the guys you see down the line. And a three star juco is likely rated pretty high, and can play right away, or in a year or so.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

The Dude

I think you should make mention that the only posts allowed in the bonus thread are those that declare a recruit...Just so we cut down on clutter.