Recruiting Limitations....

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Sep 3, 2009.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Recruiting Limitations....

Im not sure there was a consensus, here but it seemed everyone was in favor of maxing the number of players we can have on the roster at 71, and that you can cut any 1 player you want, except you can't cut a player just recruited.

I would assume you could cut 1 player even if you have 68 players as well.

The only question is can you cut walk ons in addition to the 1 player. Personally I think it should be 1 cut total. The only way you get a walk on is if you don't recruit the position where you have a need. That will make people recruit a 3 star instead of waiting a year and recruiting a 5 star.

This will help CPU in recruiting, and potentially stop USC from signing 13 MLB.

I think if you get more than one walk on a year, you aren't recruiting for needs like you should. Im recruiting a 2 star FB because I have to, not because I want to. I shouldn't just let a walk on fill the spot and let me have another year to recruit a FB.

So are we on board for having a total of 71 players signed. So if you are at the cut screen and you have 72 players on your roster, you are 1 over, and the following year you can only have 68 players on scholarship, and therefore sign 69, and have 1 cut. Every player over 71, you lose 2 scholarships per player.

Just so everyone knows, if you have a need open after position changes, you will have a walk on, so you may want to consider that if you are at 71 players.

So everyone (y) with this?

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I'm ok with that.

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I thought 70 was the max?

4. OMlawdog

70 is the max you can have on your roster when the season starts, but we are talking about the number of players you can have on your roster before cuts.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Ahhhh okay thanks lawdog. I'm down with having 71 players at the "cut players" stage.

6. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

thats work for me...

7. OMlawdog

and just so everyone understands, if you are at 72 players at the cut players screen, you don't have to cut down to 68 players that year. The restriction comes into play the following year.

Meaning you will have 70 players on the roster the following year, and your ceiling is 69 not 71, and the same restrictions are in place, and same sanctions in play based on 69.

8. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

I'm on board with that.

9. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

cool, i'm down with that as well.

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I don't get it...i say stay as is....

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    So what your proposing is to get rid of C? Technically you do still have a scholarship to give out if you have a walk on on your roster. What happens if a team oversigns due to all their players coming back that are qualified for the draft?

- I think that you should be able to sign that spot that is currently held by a walk on. Once you have a scholarshipped player in that spot, the walk on should be able to be dismissed.

- As for cutting goes, if you sign one over per item D, you should be able to cut one player to get back down to 70. That player should be able to be cut from anywhere and should be separate from the walk on. Schools lose players from their recruiting classes all the time (transfers, academic ineligibility, decide to play at JUCO for a year, etc) and we all know the many many factors that play into people getting dismissed from rosters.

So you should be able to sign up to 71 players + the number of walkons you have. When you must cut down to 70, you can cut a 'wild card' and walk ons.

Thoughts?

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I assume everyone saw this and was cool with it? We need to get this finalized so guys know how many guys they can sign this year... Or we can put it into effect next year and keep the two player buffer.

13. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I guess i am fine with it....

14. OMlawdog

my vote is to implement this next year so everyone recruits accordingly.

Changing recruiting rules mid year is tough.

Let's just roll with the new rules next year.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Okay, so we are going with the rules that are listed in the description thread.

16. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

yeah lets start this next year... hard to switch it up midseason...

17. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Just a heads up, I was going over my team last night and I have 2 seniors that are redshirted this season, so that would drop me down from 19 to 17 ships. Also how are we treating transfers? Walk-ons or are they going to be counted as one of the 71?

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You can cut transfers when they transfer in, but after that they are scholarshiped players. Walk-ons are not scholarshipped and can be cut at any time. Consider them just a place holder on your 70-man roster.

19. OMlawdog

As of right now I have 18 scholarships to offer, since I have 9 Seniors and am at 63 scholarships, and with the 2 over.

I think I have 14 players signed up, and will probably land the 15th next week. That leaves me with 3 ships open for the offseason not counting players transferring out.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think last offseason was a fluke in the sense that I don't believe that there will be the same caliber recruits appear as Mathews and McCoy.

Everyone is holding out on scholarships though, so regardless, there will be some tight races.

21. OMlawdog

Matthews was Atkins level good. Actually they are the two best freshman recruits I can remember so far.

McCoy was only an 82 OVR, but he is going to be sick.

Im looking forward to the offseason, hopefully there is a OT out there for me. I haven't been able to sign one all year.

22. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

Matthews is overrated....he had 31 tackles during my last freshman update, he didn't get to 40 to end the season, and picked up one sack during the last weeks of the season.

23. OMlawdog

I wish you could recruit players on other team's rosters. I promise you that Matthews would be appreciated at UCLA.

24. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I agree with Mutt, way overratted, should be cut ASAP!

25. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

JR has basically been recruiting players on my roster since '09.