Recruiting Philosophy

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by vBIG SLICKv, Jul 18, 2010.

1. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Mar 21, 2010
    Recruiting Philosophy

Do you guys factor in the recruits tendency or just pick the best available?

Do you pick the best available guys that are interested in your school or do you pick guys that are interested in your school but have a tendency to your style of play?

Example: You like to run the ball and you have the need for an offensive guard. Would you pick the #3 guard that has a tendency towards pass block or the #7 guard that has tendency to run block?
  2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Jun 21, 2009
    I look at tendencies as well as actual attributes (IE. that power back with C- TRK and c- BTK isn't any good to me).

As far as tendencies go, I would never in a million years even consider a pocket passer, even if he was Dan Marino incarnate.
  3. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Mar 4, 2010
    Good question. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say with this as well.

For myself (at least w/ regards to '10), I'd rather have a 3 star guy that fits my system than a 4 star guy that doesn't. I love to run to set up the pass, so I tend to go after guys that are balanced but lean a little towards run blocking. I used to do quite a bit of stargazing, but now I'd rather look at (for a guard) a combo of his accel and run block and compare it with his bench and squat. Sometimes you can find physical outliers at the 2 and 3 star range that are able to run block better than some of the 5 star pass blockers.

I have a bit more trouble deciding who fits my system on D, but I generally go for Cover guys over hitters at corner, run stoppers at DT, coverage guys at the OLB spots, and hitters at Safety. It's worked for me so far, but with the way that the player progression is now, I'm not sure that it'll work out the same way.
  4. MaizeGrenade

MaizeGrenade Go Blue

Jul 6, 2010
    I usually recruit what I need. As Michigan I picked up two :3stars: MLB's, a :4stars: Athlete who I hope will turn out to be a beast at 6'4, 215 with A in speed, B/B+ in acceleration and agility and B's in catching and route running and finally I picked up the #1 FB in the class who is a five star and currently going after another :3stars: OLB because I don't really need to pick anyone else up.
  5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Oct 26, 2009
    I actually look at their tendencies. What they are good at is a huge factor to me. Only a couple guys from Chaos actually had a chance to see my 5th year squad but both would agree they were nasty (didn't allow a TD in either game).

How I recruit:

Say I'm trying to build my defense, let's start with my defensive line. In NCAA '10 (probably '11 too) I don't care who's interested in me if they fit my system I'm gunnin' for them. For my DT's I'm looking for run stoppers. Strength and gettin' off blocks is key for me. Cloggin' the middle is a great way to stop the run. Now my DE's have to be pass rushers. I'm comfortable with them being just pass rushers because my defensive tackles can hold their own in the middle. What I look for in the DE's are strength and pursuit. If they have enough strength getting off the blocker they can stop an inside run or at least provide help. If the run is to the outside they have enough pursuit ability to chase down the ball carrier. And of course they can harass the opposing QB.

Now my linebacking corps. My MLB needs to be a balanced individual. I need him to be my everything. I need him to be able to step up to play the run or drop back and cover the middle. My OLBs are normally either are either good at defending the pass or stopping the run. I normally use a mixture and it always one good at coverage and one good at stopping the run. It's up to the offense to figure out which one is which:D. If the opponent figures out one of their weakness I will normally just flip them.

For my secondary its pretty cut and dry. My corners have to have speed. If they slack in speed I normally place them in the slot or at the end of the year move them to safety or bury them in the depth chart to use them as a dime CB. I normally grab balanced corners with a couple more attributes that I'm unwilling to spill with ODs not kicking off yet. My safeties are normally hard hitters that can cover that fat ass TE trying to sneak into the seams. I choose hard hitters mainly because if the pass is in the air to long I'm laying the lumber to seperate the ball. After a couple people are layed out across the middle users normally don't try to throw across there anymore:HoosierHoo:

I don't go for the "green dot" recruits nor do I go after the best talent. If these guys are a C+ or better their getting looked at by me. I grab alot of 3star talent. I believe in team ball, if everybody does that one thing that they are good at well we won't have any issues.

6. Nashvillain15

Nashvillain15 Walk On

Jul 14, 2010
    In my 1* dynasty I pretty much recruit the best guys that will play for me. Just so I can get guys that will be over a 70 overall. When I get up to 3*s I start looking at tendency's as well as attributes.