1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Recruiting question.

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Recruiting question.

From Wisconsin's recruiting thread:

Here are 'Sconsin's recruits:
    0 :5stars:
    9 :4stars: (2 bonus).

When Raz mentioned his 2 offseason guys would be 1 :3stars: and 1 :5stars: or :4stars:, Dat responded with this:
    This brings up an interesting point. Shouldn't our 1-7-70 rule, which currently reads:
    1 :5stars:
    7 :4stars:
    70 total schollies

read like this instead?
    1 :5stars: or below
    7 :4stars: or below
    70 total

Obviously, most of us would want/be able to sign a :5stars: kid. But if we're unable to sign a :5stars: kid or we see a :4stars: we prefer, are we really forced to choose a :5stars: or a :3stars: and below? Shouldn't we be able to take a :4stars: kid instead of the 5? It seems pretty logical and obvious to me, but Dat's the one that made up the rule.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I would think so too, Jello. This could also come into play with Army next (or even this) year.

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Good point...It does seem to make sense that that's how it would work.

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It won't be this year for Army.

I may sign a boat load of 3 stars.

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I'd prefer it the way I said it, but I don't reallly care that much.

Logically, I know it makes sense for you to be able to use the 5* guy on a 4* (so 1-7-70 can also mean 0-8-70), but by not allowing it, it's another way we can create some differentiation in recruiting classes. So if you whiff on signing any 5*'s, it doesn't mean you can just go down the list 20 guys and take a 4.

I'm in favor of a literal / "strict" 1-7-70, but like I said, I don't really care that much and it's whatever the majority wants to do.

And if Raz has been counting on that 10th 4* guy, then I don't mind if he takes him this year regardless of what we decide since it wasn't clear.

6. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

By that logic, it can't be a 3-star guy either. So if you can't land a 5-star recruit, you don't get to have a full recruiting class.

Taken further, you wouldn't be allowed to recruit 3-star guys in the 4-star slots. So a really bad team (sorry Army) would lose out on 8 scholarships.

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That's not true Raz -- there are unlimited 3* and under recruits.

8. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Alrighty. Well, for us middle-of-the-pack teams, I'd advocate for it being a "5-star or less" slot. It seems overkill for the 6-star prestige teams to not only get better classes but also get LARGER classes.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I agree.

10. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

If we're voting, I agree with Raz. If a smaller school can't sign a :5stars: I think they should be able to sign a :4stars: instead.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I agree that your 5 star can be used on a 4 star.

12. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Raz, to be clear, I'm saying if you can't sign a 5*, you would instead fill that slot with a 3* or below. So it has no impact on size of class.

Unless we get others on here who want to go with the "strict" 1-7, let's just assume the consensus is that the "1" 5* slot can be filled with either a 5 or a 4.