Recruiting Restrictions - NCAA 12

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by bravejaf, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

This will be reviewed in more detail once the new game is out, but my understanding is that recruiting difficulty will be very similar to NCAA 11. We will have caps on :5stars: players but I'm trying to figure out an appropriate number. We used 4 in Legacy for NCAA 11, but I think stricter scholarship limits are needed. Dru's league is using a cap of 6 :5stars: every 2 seasons, which might be something we could look at. The sim logic behind this cap is that real college football teams rarely sign more than 2-3 top ranked players in the same season.

Another item Perry and I have talked about in the past, a requirement to start any :5stars: recruits as a true freshman. The logic behind this idea is that most top recruits don't sign with a program and sit for 1-3 seasons. This rule would prevent teams from over signing at certain positions and hopefully create more balance among the dynasty.

Anyway, feel free to discuss this topic.

2. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I personally like the 6:2 rule. I still think maybe in exception to QBs, 5 star recruits should be in the 2 deep at their position their first year on campus or start. One other thing I would look at is staying with a 3:1 cap and maybe give the BCS Champion a bonus 1 he can use just the following season.

3. Cutch 22

Cutch 22 Let's gooooooo

Have you guys ever thought of using restrictions on each side of the ball?

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I haven't really considered that. It is something we could discuss.

I personally find the idea difficult to justify, since I can't apply these restrictions to real life. I'd be more inclined to position specific restrictions. For example 1 :5stars: QB every 2-3 years. Of course that would be a nightmare to track so it may not be the most plausible idea.

5. Cutch 22

Cutch 22 Let's gooooooo

No problem, just throwing some stuff out there.

I agree with the concept, as over recruiting kills the competitive spirit. It's just a hard to thing to manage.

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I think we need to pick a number of 5 stars that can be recruited in a season (4,5 or 6) and just leave it at that. That is easy to track and leaves plenty of talent to go around. Some of the other ideas like 6 over 2 yrs start to become a burden to track. I don't like the idea of a 5 star having to start or not being able to be red-shirted and I don't like the idea of only being able to recruit 1 5star at a position. If I want to 5 star qbs I should be able to recruit them.

My $0.02

7. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I like the 6:2 rule but more importantly I like ANY recruiting restrictions we go with. In my honest opinion they really are needed.

I will say though that I do NOT like the automatic start clause for any 5*, maybe if they are top 15 or so but there are top players IRL that do sit. I'm also with Slick on the position limitations, I should be able to offer my 5* scholly's to anyone.

I love that we are discussing this, its a huge plus to me for the competitiveness of our dynasty.

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yup and that is why we are discussing this. I want everyone's input on this matter. My overall opinion is the restriction needs to be 3 or less for 1 season. Even with 4 in Legacy in '11, there is still a huge gap between users and CPU teams. Plus you have to assume that most classes have between 20-35 :5stars: recruits. In that case if every user signs an average of 2 :5stars: players, that leaves a maximum of 11 :5stars: players for the other 100+ schools.

I do think the geographic setup for this dynasty will keep some CPU teams competitive in recruiting. Teams may have or setup pipelines in some of the states, but I think Nebraska is the furthest team west among user teams. This means USC/Texas/Oregon should continue to dominate on recruiting trail.

Lastly, and not in regard to recruiting, I'm thinking of some ideas in regard to the schedule. Depending on number of user games we decide, my plan is for everyone to play at least 1 high ranked CPU team from 3 remaining BCS conferences and 1 CPU game against BCS busters. What I will probably do is rotate conferences. For example in year 1 Big 10 faces off with Pac 10, ACC and Big East, and SEC and Big 12. This would then rotate every 1-2 seasons. Thanks to flex scheduling this should be a possibility.

9. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Like how the wheels are starting to turn and they all sound like great ideas. I like the recruiting restrictions, but I think we should be able to earn bonuses for winning conf titles, bcs bowls, bcs titles, ect.

10. Cutch 22

Cutch 22 Let's gooooooo

I like this, re: earning more ships.

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I also agree with that idea. Could do something with 2 :5stars: for all, then 1 for conference championship and 1 for national championship. In that case the National Champion would have 4 available the next season, assuming they won their conference*.

* Unlike when Hokie won a National Title despite losing to me in Big 10 and finishing with the same f'ing record :mad:

12. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I definitely agree with the :5stars: restrictions. I think either making it 2 or 3 per year and leaving it at that would be good, or making it 1 or 2 and adding 'ships for achievements (conf title, bcs title, heisman, etc.) would also be good. I don't think anyone should be signing more than 3 in a season personally. Whatever we have to do to keep the cpu competitive without playing the wacky slider card.

I've never been a big fan of making specific restrictions like 1 RB every 3 years or whatever. Mostly because that just becomes a hassle for someone to have to take care of, and I don't believe a league should ever be a hassle for anyone (unless they want it to be). I'm not a big fan of making guys start that are :5star: or mandating them be on your 2 deep.

a. It's my lineup, I'll start who I wish to start (within reason)

b. mandating that a 5 star is in your 2 deep is redundant. With a 5 star cap, those 5 star recruits should be in your 2 deep regardless. They should be the stars on your team just on rating alone.

So imo having a cap is a must, the lower the better, and adding numbers for achievements is a good idea.

13. Papa Perry

I agree with this. No one should be able to sign more than 4 :5stars: and that should be a National Champion. But I think we should just stick with 2 bonuses (one for conf title, one for BCS title) if we want to do more bonuses we need to restrict :4stars: to maybe half of your available scholarships and give some bonuses for UvU wins, bowl wins, and players leaving early.

14. Jman

We had a pretty damn good scholly setup in the 4th two years ago pertaining to 4*'s as bonuses as well...

@BDSDIGITAL @1ke Do you remember how the numbers on that?

15. Papa Perry

murk may still have them somewhere. The 4th Horseman thread has already been moved/deleted or I'd go look for it

16. Jman

Yep. I wanna say it was half of your scholly's available could be 4* then whatever 5* you are allowed and the rest had to be 3* or below. I could be WAY off though lol

17. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Sorry I don't remember.

18. Papa Perry

I actually found a way to access those old posts and I'm looking for them now

19. Papa Perry

Found them. Here they are:

We recognize that players have a significant recruiting advantage over the CPU, and we have established a few rules in an attempt to preserve some kind of balance.

1. Players must limit each year's class to the number of players leaving in that same year. Going over 70 players is penalized by a loss of ten hours of recruiting time per player over. Penalty is enforced from the first week until the time expires. Player may not spread out their penalty hours.

2. Players can take a number of four-star recruits equal to half the total number of players leaving that year. This number is rounded in our favor when necessary (ex. A class of 17 would have nine fours rather than eight).

3. Each player's potential recruiting class is based on their performance the previous year. In order to recruit five-star players, a team must meet the criteria listed below. If none of the conditions are met, the team may not recruit five-star players in the following season, but must still act according to rules 1 & 2 when they recruit.

• Show up for all member vs. member games = recruit an additional 5 star player
    • Win a Conference Championship = recruit an additional 5 star player
    • Win the BCS National Championship = recruit an additional 5 star player
    • Win 10 games = recruit an additional 4 star player
    • Win a bowl game = recruit an additional 4 star player
    • No rule violations (recruiting or otherwise) = recruit an additional 4 star player

Example:

Say I have 20 seniors on my team, I showed up for the my user vs user game(5 star recruit), and I didn't break and recruiting rules(4 star recruit).

At first, my recruiting board would look like this: 10 4-stars, 10 3-star and under = 20
    Based off my achievements the year before, it'd look like this: 1 5-star, 11 4-star, 8 3-star and under = 20

• Like Like x 1
  20. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

@Jman

I think it was 2 5*. But it there was a bonus for Conference. Another bonus for the National Championship. There was a bonus of 1 extra 4* for the user showing up to all the user v user games.

Here is what I think.

3 :5star: Plus a bonus for winning things. 1 each for Conference and BCS titles.

I have a love hate relationship with restrictions. I hate, but i realize they are necessary sometimes. I think we could limit it to 3 5*. Then have a bonus of 1 for Conference title, and 1 more for the BCS title. Maybe an extra 4* for winning your division or somethin. Plus this way, i think everyone will be pleases even if you dont win anything, you'll still have a chance to sign 3 top notch kids.

Also, i think that the 6 every 2 years might be a bit dangerous. Say i have a heavy senior class leaving. I use sign 5 5* players. The next season recruiting I dont really need anyone and gladly use my last 1. That class of 5 5* combined with the rest of the class is going to be a beast of a class. I mean, sounds crazy, but it could happen. Would anyone have a problem with that scenario? I can say right now, i might go easy in year one, and try to go nuts and sign 5 in year two. Gotta throw that out there.

The idea of a mandatory starting spot for some 5* kids is one Im not too fond of. I just feel like it could get sticky and it sometimes wont make very much sense at all.

21. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Ahhhh the memories. I cant remember if it worked. My Southern Miss team was so fuckin stacked it was ridiculous. Well, on second thought, it did work and you could get a beast of a team. Honestly though, it was a pain in the ass. Lol

22. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

The problem I have with limiting 4 stars, especially 1/2 of available scholarships, is keeping track. Someone else would need to track recruiting restrictions, as there is no way I could possibly manage that along with some other things in the dynasty.

If we just do :5stars: restrictions with bonus, that would be more managable.

23. Papa Perry

I agree it was a good system. Murk used the same one in Victory Road. I also agree that it's hard to keep up with. I think the simplest we could do that is 2 auto 5 star recruits and a max of 2 bonuses. Looking back in history the past 10 years it has been rare to see teams get 4 5 star recruits.

24. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Except @Twister18 who kept getting 6 or 7 each year :p

I think Hokie, Twist and I all got 6 or 7 last season, but there was like 45 :5stars: in that class.

25. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I say we do 2 or 3 to start. Then with the bonuses have a max out at 5. If we have starting point of 2, then we can use 3 bonuses. If we start out a 3 then only 2 bonuses.

• Show up for all member vs. member games = recruit an additional 5 star player (Least appealing bonus IMO)
    • Win your division = recruit an additional 5 star player
    • Win a Conference Championship = recruit an additional 5 star player
    • Win the BCS National Championship = recruit an additional 5 star player