Recruiting rule amendment

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by lilmaggie, Sep 1, 2009.

1. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Recruiting rule amendment

I changed the penalty for signing to many players a little. Instead of losing 1 5-star guy, you will now loose 2. No real punishment if you sign an extra 5-star guy and then lose 1 the following season. You still come out even. Also, next season we will also have a limit on 4-star recruits, it will be a generous amount but not limitless. Here is the way it reads in the rules: Recruiting Violations-For each infraction of these rules, you will lose (2) 5 star recruits for the following season. Then after that, you will start to lose your 4-star recruits.

I also want to install some kind of punishment for not getting your game in, not so much to punish those guys, but to reward all the guys who get their games played. Maybe take away a 4 star recruit for every game that has to be simmed.(Just a thought)

I also thought about this........if you miss a CPU game, then you are automatically placed on auto for the next week(which could be big-depending on who you are playing). I think things like this would make it interesting. I just don't won't everyone pissed off all the time, if we can all be mature and remember that it is a game, then rules similar to these could be a good thing.

2. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

instead of punishing people who dont get it in just allow another 4 or 5 star player, more than likely 4 since your limiting 5 star players

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I don't think people that don't play their CPU game should be punished by recruiting infractions. Without advance notice, not playing your game against the CPU should result in probation and a second one per season should be removal. Just my 2 cents.

For recruiting restrictions next year I really have no idea what to say. It's very disheartening to hear what jello was saying the recruiting board was looking like for a CPU controlled North Carolina.

I think we should only allow a certain number of red shirts per season and they should only be allowed to freshman.

I think it would be tough to limit the 4 star recruits we can have per season. Just because we are all big programs and in real life we aren't likely to recruit 10 three stars. Maybe we could do something like the OFFL has done. They only allow 1 five star recruit and 7 four star recruits. Then they have created bonus recruits which are the top 1,2,3 players overall, not by position, and then each 10th overall ranked recruit for 5 and 4 stars are bonuses if you can land them over your opponents. Just a thought.

4. GoGators

As another alternative to someone recruiting too many 5 stars would be to make them cut one of the recruits in the current year as well as lose one the next year.

Or, even make them cut 2 five stars in the year of the violation.

5. tin cup

tin cup Walk On

The Rebels don't have to worry about losing a 5* because they are none interested, i have like only 3 4* interested & the rest are 2 & 3 * guys, No way can the marylands, ole miss recruit with florida or LSU or FSU, maybe after a few seasons of winning 10 or 11 games but highly unlikely...

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I just have two quick points.

I agree with gogators on the cpu game issue (imagine that haha) Things happen that make it impossible to play your game in time. I get it, electrical issues, internet issues, family emergencies (knock on wood), whatever. But if you miss more than one game a year un announced vs. the cpu then I think you really need to look at whether you have the time or inclination to be in a league like this.

2nd, It's easy for me to say because I'm Miami and even after a slightly disappointing season I'm not having too much of a problem getting 4 star recruits but I don't think the 4's should be limited too much. Maybe the 5's. I thought we were all on pretty even ground program wise. I know that UF has an advantage right out of the gate because of their recent track record, but I didn't think the gap was that bad. I have Tennessee very much in contention for a handful of guys on my board and their having kind of a down year. I'm not so much worried about the recruits though. I would just hate to see us all be very limited to who we can recruit and not be able to maintain our current program prestige because of recruiting restrictions. The missing games things kind of urks me a little. Oh, and NC has been controlled by three users now. I wonder how much of their class was the cpu and how much was the first two users bad recruiting? Butch Davis in real life doesn't recruit 1's and 2's which is why NC has emerged over the last few years.

Tin Cup,

You really don't have any 4-5 guys interested? Aren't you like #2 or #3? I find that really odd. In TF4 I've been in the running for a handful of 4's with East Carolina. Maybe it's just a down recruiting year for Ole Miss or in the state of Mississippi ? I know there wasn't much in NC in that dynasty and I had to go to SC, VA, and FL for most of mine which made it much harder.

ok that's all I had. Good luck all in your conf. championship games!

7. BDSDIGITAL

I just have two quick points.

I agree with gogators on the cpu game issue (imagine that haha) Things happen that make it impossible to play your game in time. I get it, electrical issues, internet issues, family emergencies (knock on wood), whatever. But if you miss more than one game a year un announced vs. the cpu then I think you really need to look at whether you have the time or inclination to be in a league like this.

2nd, It's easy for me to say because I'm Miami and even after a slightly disappointing season I'm not having too much of a problem getting 4 star recruits but I don't think the 4's should be limited too much. Maybe the 5's. I thought we were all on pretty even ground program wise. I know that UF has an advantage right out of the gate because of their recent track record, but I didn't think the gap was that bad. I have Tennessee very much in contention for a handful of guys on my board and their having kind of a down year. I'm not so much worried about the recruits though. I would just hate to see us all be very limited to who we can recruit and not be able to maintain our current program prestige because of recruiting restrictions. The missing games things kind of urks me a little. Oh, and NC has been controlled by three users now. I wonder how much of their class was the cpu and how much was the first two users bad recruiting? Butch Davis in real life doesn't recruit 1's and 2's which is why NC has emerged over the last few years.

Tin Cup,

You really don't have any 4-5 guys interested? Aren't you like #2 or #3? I find that really odd. In TF4 I've been in the running for a handful of 4's with East Carolina. Maybe it's just a down recruiting year for Ole Miss or in the state of Mississippi ? I know there wasn't much in NC in that dynasty and I had to go to SC, VA, and FL for most of mine which made it much harder.

ok that's all I had. Good luck all in your conf. championship games!

8. GoGators

Tincup/Ole Miss, you may not have any 4 or 5 star guys now but you have to remember that there will be a couple new recruits introduced in the offseason. Since you performed well this season, I would think you should have a couple interested in you. Also, you'll probably gain a star for prestige next season and that should help as well. I think.

Also, I had an interesting idea about recruiting next season to keep things in line with the CPU. I don't know if anyone would go for it, but here goes. Maybe instead of recruiting restrictions, what if we were only allowed to manage our recruiting board but had to allow the CPU to make all our phone calls and offer scholarships?

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I wouldn't like that idea since recruiting is by far the most fun part of the game for me (which is why I was so disheartened to see what my board looked like when I took over).

10. jello1717

I also think that 4 :5stars: guys each is too many. Right now we can't all recruit :5stars: guys (Ole Miss, UNC, Maryland and possibly Tennessee) but in a couple years we should all be able to. That's 48 :5stars: going to user teams and I'm pretty certain that there will never be that many :5stars: in a give season. Because of this, every single :5stars: guy will go to user teams with none left for the CPU teams so they'll all start to suck. This should lead eventually lead to us never ever losing to a CPU team again, which I can't imagine any of us would want.

I think that we should limit the :5stars: guys so that we actually save some for the other teams. I would suggest that 2 :5stars: each would be enough with maybe some bonus guys like the OFFL does. Even with 2 :5stars: guys, however, we're still going to be grabbing over half of them leaving hardly any for the aOSUs, USCs, Texases, Oklahomas, etc out there.

11. BDSDIGITAL

Maybe we could make the first and last 5 star guy at each position available to us and the rest of limits...that way there is a limit on how many we can recruit and we can compete with each other for the blue chips guys that meet that criteria.?? just throwing something out there.

12. GoGators

I hear what you're saying Jello. If you look at the classes though, the big CPU programs are still pulling in some 5 stars. I think you only have UF and Alabama on top of the recruiting classes. Everyone else is kind of struggling. Plus, since we are all located in the southeast, it's unlikely that we will take all the 5 stars from the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10. However, I think a limit of 1 or 2 five stars would be a good idea.

The thing with the competitive recruiting between teams is that we should already have a lot of that due to our locations. For instance, UF, FSU, and UM should all be battling for the same guys. With that said though, I think we can implement some form of it to make things more interesting.

Also, I think that there will only be about 35-40 five star recruits per year. Let's wait and see what the classes look like at the end of the season and then we can go from there to decide on what left overs to leave for the CPU.

13. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

this is why its a battle! i mean a limit is bad enough, but cutting that down makes it worst! recruiting isnt jus some right. it wouldnt even be realistic if usc or florida had a good year and only got 2 5 stars. when does that happen? if its only 10 5 stars between 12 teams, thats a fight! get em while you can. just because they are certain teams dont mean they are garunteed a player!

14. jello1717

It was hard for me to follow what you were saying so I'll first lay out what I think you're saying. We shouldn't have limits on how many :5stars: we're allowed to sign because it isn't realistic for a team like Florida to have only 2 :5stars: guys. Is it realistic for teams like North Carolina and Maryland to sign 4 :5stars: guys (keeping in mind that our roster size is smaller than the real teams so you'll need a scaling factor when comparing to real teams)? Is it realistic for 80-90% of the :5stars: guys to go to only 2 conferences?

I'm absolutely thrilled that you used
    as your example. I agree that it isn't realistic for a team like USC to only get 2 :5stars: players. Same for Oklahoma, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. I guarantee you that in 2 or 3 years, those teams will be getting hardly any :5stars: guys. Users will always be much, much, much better recruiters than the CPU. I would guess that we'll take probably 90% of the :5stars: kids while USC, aOSU, Texas, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma might get a 1 or 2. This will lead to the Michigans, Oregons, Cals, etc teams of the world never signing a :5stars: kid except for the rare 1 every now and then. What we'll end up with is some good stiff competition in the user games (which is obviously a great thing) and absolutely zero competition from any CPU team, which I would hope we could agree is a really bad thing. I see that we've had some user teams lose to CPU teams this year which is a great thing. I'm just hoping to preserve that as well.

15. GoGators

Hey guys, couple things:

1) I love how it's basically 4 or 5 people debating this in a 12 team league. Where is everyone else???

2) Let's not get too carried away in debating these rules just yet. Like I said before, let's see how the first season recruiting classes turn out. As it sits right now, us users only have a handful of 5 star guys.

3) The 4 five star rule came from researching the past top recruiting classes from rivals.com. The typical #1 class in america has around 4-5 five star guys. Obviously these are programs are typically the big ones, USC, UF, Texas, LSU, etc.

4) I think the only absurd recruiting class so far this year is mine (UF). There's two reasons for that, A) I've been ranked #1 all season long, and B) Well, let's not kid ourselves, I'm just one hell of a recruiter!!! :)

5) I somewhat agree with LB Fitted. If you limit everyone to 1 or 2 five stars then a top tier team will likely have the same recruiting class as a lower tier user team. What's fair about that?

6) Right now, USC, Texas, and OU have decent classes I think. And with us all located in the Southeast, it's unlikely that we'll all be pulling the 5 star recruits out of California and Texas and depriving other programs of their stars with any regularity. If our teams were located across the country I think it would be a bigger problem.

7) Like I said, let's see how this class ends up and we'll go from there based on next season.

8) Maybe this could be an interesting suggestion to solve Jello's concerns. What if we kept the recruit limits the way they are currently but we weren't allowed to recruit 5 star players from NON PIPELINE states? That would make things interesting I think. It wouldn't be too difficult to track either. Plus it would make developing a pipeline state more rewarding.

Come to think of it, I really like this last idea. With our tight geographic location it would really develop some competition and would leave the talent out there for everyone else. What do you guys think?

16. jello1717

Just a couple of comments:

In my offline Michigan dynasties I've never, ever had trouble recruiting :5stars: kids from Florida, Texas, and California. With 12 user teams, I don't see why any of us would have a problem doing that.

I like your idea about only getting :5stars: kids from pipeline states, but I disagree about it being easy to track. Unless we all kept an avid page (I have started one for UNC) and had some way of keeping everyone honest with their states, I don't know how to track that. I don't know of any way in game to see any pipeline states. In game you can't even see what states your own players are from unless you put that into avid (or just write it down somewhere). I think it'd be an absolute nightmare to keep track of 12 teams' pipeline states (especially since they'll change every year depending on who graduates).

17. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I really like the OFFL way of doing it. Allowing us only to recruit #'s 1,2, and 3 plus 10, 20, and so on allows us to go after 5 stars and ave lots of competition while giving the CPU plenty of opportunities at great recruits.

18. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Yeah I kinda like that also.....

19. GoGators

To track the pipeline states, you'd just have to post what states your pipelines are in the playbooks thread. Then, at the end of the season we can just check your recruiting class and make sure that all 5 star recruits are from your state. Shouldn't be too difficult.

The only issue with the OFFL way is they haven't decided on what to do with the added recruits in the offseason since that will distort who was ranked 1,2,3 and 10, 20, etc.

20. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Im a 3-star program that hasnt come close to a 5 star recruit this year. As such, 5 star recruit limits are not in my zone of interest.

21. BDSDIGITAL

Ok I have to chime in again. Sorry guys! :p

1. It does suck that we have a 12 team league and only 6 guys have an opinion. (n)

2. I like the pipeline idea alot. Can't you go to the map page in recruiting to see your pipeline states? It's in there somewhere, I know it is. I like this for two reasons.

a) it's creates competition for the guys in big states FSU, FLA, and MIA come to mind with great recruiting bases and doesn't give much competition to the Marylands, Ole Miss's of the world in much lesser recruiting states so it kind of evens that issue out some as far as the top flight talent goes.

b) it gives the guys that can develop new pipeline states a great advantage in recruiting, adding another element of strategy to your recruiting. Instead of just cherry picking the best kids out of Florida, we might want to pay attention to the kids in Georgia, SC, etc and you might be able to have access to their best talent down the road and for the guys in smaller states like Clemson or Maryland they can try to come down into Florida for 4's to get a piece of the action there later on the blue chips...the more I type this the more I like that idea, well done gators.(y) I'm 99% sure you can still develop new pipeline states in online dynasty right?

Then make it mandatory to for everyone to post their 5 star recruits in a new thread or something. If someone grabs one their not supposed to, have the NCAA drop the hammer on them.

As far as the OFFL way of doing it goes I like that too. We could always do that and for the new recruits in offseason recruiting make them all fair game. The only problem with that is how hard will it be for the smaller programs to grab the #1,#2, or #3 guys when UGA, UF, FSU, Bama, etc are ALL going after them.

22. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

The only OFFL league I'm in, is a creation league and my team is 1 a star, so... I haven't experienced how recruiting is going with their rules. The pipeline state rule is also intriguing.

23. GoGators

I know it's my idea, but I'm with Castro. I really like the pipeline idea.

You can find who your pipeline kids are by using the search feature and for state, selecting pipeline states. If everyone posts what states their pipelines are than we should be able to monitor it easily. If at the end of the season you click on the teams recruiting class via the top classes page, it will give you a break down of all recruits, their rating, and what state they are from. Any 5 stars that don't jive with the pipeline states, as Castro said, "has the NCAA 'or LILMAGGIE' bring the hammer down on them".

Yes, you can add pipeline states in online dynasties. Another thing I like about this idea is that with the exclusion of say USC, most schools only tend to recruit a few states because it takes too much time and resources to try and land a kid from across the country, especially when the odds of landing him are low. The game does a bad job of implementing this since you can recruit a kid from CA just as easily as FL. That shouldn't be the case. It would cost much more to a program to have the CA kid come to FL for his visit and for coaches to go see him. Implementing the pipeline states rule would really bring this aspect of the recruiting process to life and make the process much more sim style in my opinion.

24. jello1717

Did we ever decide on Gators' "can only recruit :5stars: from pipeline states" idea (probably in conjunction with the old limit of 4)?

25. GoGators

I vote for the pipeline states recruiting amendment.