Recruiting...Season One

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ThePaw, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ThePaw

ThePaw I'm so seasonal it hurts, baby!

Recruiting...Season One

I noticed the forums haven't been very active recently so I decided to make this topic, hope you don't mind Cimmy.

So what recruits are you chasing after? Have committed?

What The 'Pack have so Far
    Position Name Caliber Ht Wt Speed Rating State Notes
    CB Will Morris :3stars: 5'11"" 175 B Virginia Probably just going to be a warm body for us in the secondary. He may become a starter later down the road.
    DE Frank Williams :3stars: 6'7" 235 D- North Carolina WOW, 6'7" 235. He has the size to be a force but his skill set is REALLY lacking. I hope we can work with him to make him the dominate force he should be.

Who else am I going for right now? Well i'm pumping time into a Kicker, a nice MLB, another DE, a OLB, a SS, two WRs, and a DT...Basically this year i'm just adding depth for my defense. Next year will be when I go for the offensive guys.

2. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

The 'Ville is lagging behind where I feel we should be recruiting wise...So far we have 3 commitments, all of which are 3*

#18 OLB Julius Talley | 6'1" | 237 lbs | Run Stopper - Decent speed but horrible coverage skills. I doubt he is a big time contributor for us.

# 19 DE Wesley Howell | 6'1" | 237 lbs | Balanced - Decent tackle and finesse moves but lacks the speed/acceleration to be a true pass rusher and the strength to be a true run stopper.

#20 TE Tom Perry | 6'5" | 278 lbs | Blocking - Pretty good run blocker. Should help out with our running game. He is projects to be a decent target in the red zone with his size.

To be honest, the rest of our [potential] class isn't too special. It is a bunch of 3* guys who will be mostly depth with the occasional Soph/Jr starter in the mix. The big time guy we are trying to land is the #1 C in the country, Michael Deloach. He is a 4* run blocker, which is good because I hope to transition us from a 70-30 pass-run team to something more 50-50.

3. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Virginia was able to lock down a few early commits right away, but haven't gotten a signature in the last few weeks.

:3stars: WR Art Smith (#61) from Roanoke, VA committed early to play for this UVA offense. He brings great size, 6' 2" and 217 LBs, and is a possession WR. He doesn't have tremendous top end speed, but he can get there quickly.

:3stars: WR Joel Montgomery (#131) from Woodbridge, VA also gave us his intent to play for the Cavs early in the season. At 6' 1" he has great height, but is vulnerable at 183 LBs. He is also a possession WR, which is what UVA is looking for, guys who will catch the ball as our offense is lacking production this year. He has good speed, but doesn't have the best hands. Could possibly be a return artist or could get moved to DB.

:3stars: QB Ryan Hawkins (#57) from Lake Ridge, VA is ready to come to Charlottesville. A balanced QB that has good size at 6' 5" 192 LBs, Hawkins could be a starter down the road. Likely will get the red vest his first season. With good power and accuracy he will be a pocket passer as he does not have the legs to scramble on designed QB run plays. He has the ability to shed potential tackles, but don't expect him to outrun them.

4. ThePaw

Yeah Cimmy. You stole Art Smith from me. :(

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

It's payback for Morris!

6. quietstrm

quietstrm Walk On

Heck I only have one commit. You guys aren't doing too bad.

7. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

Slow movement is the best way to describe our first season of recruiting at Cal. To me it feels like recruiting visits are devalued in this years game.

:4stars: OLB Chris Smith 6'3 240 lbs (#9) Norwalk, CA Smith was our first commit out of the season. He has good speed and acceleration. He should be a very good tackler with the ability to force fumbles and strong in zone coverages. He will RS and we will work him in moving forward at MLB or OLB.

:4stars: T Brady Hale 6'4 283 lbs (#18) Glendale, CA Hale will be a work in progress hopefully gaining a starting spot as a junior or senior if needed. He is best assets are pass blocking footwork and strength. He will need to work on all other areas of his game.

8. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

:3stars: CB John Browning 5'11 182 lbs (#12) West Palm Beach, FL Browning is a nice catch for us. We were able to beat out Texas and Virginia Tech for his services. He is a good man coverage guy and even better in zone. He is able to press WR's has good speed and agility.

Unfortunately it looks like we are going to miss out on our prized recruits this year. Blake Robinson QB who played High School ball with Browning looks to be a LSU lean. Maybe Browning can sway his teammate to follow him to Cal. HB James Smith from Clearwater, SC looks to be a lean to Wisconsin at this point.

9. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

:4stars: DE Marcus Greer 6'3 254 lbs (#25) Wekiva Springs, FL Marcus Greer is my consolation prize for missing out on my #1 DE target Ashton Sullivan from Dade City, FL. Marcus will be able to come in and RS next season. He has good ratings but they will need to get boosted if he expects to make a consistent impact each week.

I made one last ditch effort to secure the commitment of QB Blake Robinson. He is now a soft commit to LSU with Cal -1 behind. We hit advisory with Blake and racked up +704 recruiting points. Will this be enough to overcome a soft commit to a southern school? Only time will tell....

10. ThePaw

Hella nice recruits X. Looks like you're restocking. I have a lot of 3 stars which I will update with later tonight. Looks like you're setting yourself up well for the future.

11. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

Thanks Paw! It's been a slow process this year a little draining watching us be so close on our main targets to just miss out. If I can pull out a miracle and snag Blake Robinson I will be ecstatic with my first season recruiting. Either way this first season has been a major success on the field so that should only help next year.

12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Guess I should update UVA....

Name(Hometown) Prestige Position Notes
    1 Jason Hall (West Springfield, VA) :3stars: DE Hall has decent speed, shredding, tackling skills. Needs to build strength. May get moved to LB.
    2 Kelvin Moss (Portsmouth, VA) :3stars: HB Real excited about Moss. Good speed and break tackle skills, can make you wish you taped your ankles twice.
    3 Stevie Burke (South Gate, MD) :3stars: G Good speed to get to the outside, but will need to improve greatly on his blocking skills, if he wants to see time on the first team offense. Could be a special teams artist.
    4 Josh Brown (Covington, VA) :3stars: CB Not very fast, but has arms to make plays and secure tackles.
    5 John Newby (Blacksburg, VA) :3stars: FB Straight from the land of the hated Hokies. Newby may see immediate action in the UVA offense. He has the skills to make an impact early at the FB position.

13. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

The 'Ville: Project Reload 2010

Louisville now has 9 commits. Here are the 4 most recent:
    4* C Michael Deloach | 6'3" | 294 lbs
    Deloach is Coach distrktFIVE's first 4* recruit and will be the anchor of the Louisville O-Line for years to come. Look for the O-Line to be an area Coach distrktFIVE targets in recruiting in the future.

3* FS Jason Smith | 6'1" | 186 lbs
    Smith played the Rover position in HS, so he will pack a little thunder in his shoulder pads when he moves to the FS position in college. While he lacks elite DB speed, he is a powerful tackler and will cause his share of dropped passes and fumbles.

3* G Erik Weiss | 6'4" | 309 lbs
    Weiss is another piece of the future O-Line from this recruiting class. Weiss is a big kid who is solid across the board but needs to add some strength to make up for his lack of speed and agility. Weiss may see a Redshirt to give him a year to get stronger and work on his skills.

3* QB Marcus Brown | 6'2" | 209 lbs
    Brown is the type of QB you will start seeing Coach distrktFIVE bringing to Louisville. He is a decent athlete with some speed and the ability to break a tackle. He lacks elite throwing skills, so this is the area he will need to focus on his first few years on campus. Brown's skill set will allow Coach distrktFIVE to move towards the true spread/balanced offense he wants to run.

14. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

Wow what a letdown..... Blake Robinson spurns California on after a 704 point week -1 to LSU who had a soft verbal. Blake didn't even visit LSU either :(.

15. slim

slim Walk On

baylor has the 46th class - all but 2 were signed by the computer. i'm looking through these guys trying to get acquainted with them. it's a decent class - lots of OL, LBs, and CBs but nothing spectacular. one wr with b speed, no qbs, no rbs.