Recruiting Spotlight

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by bravejaf, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

User Battle of the Week

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Daniel is a smart player for an incoming freshman, grading a C in terms of his awareness. That C grade matches his lowest score, so he is a very well balanced player. He isn't going to wow people with his 4.48 speed but his solid zone (B) and man (B-) coverage show that he he will be an asset in pass coverage.

Who Will Win: Coach Perry has home field advantage on his side as the Compton-born Smith doesn't seem likely to rush out to the corn fields. The battle is neck and neck but I think the Nebraska coach needs a bit of luck on his side in order to win this battle.

Locked and Loaded Recruit of the Week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Jim is one of the fastest players in this class, running a 4.32 in the 40-yard dash. Smith also graded high in terms of his acceleration and hands (B). He also scored well in jumping, agility and ball carrier vision. Right now he is more of an athlete than a complete football player. He will need to work on the mental part of the game, he graded a D- in awareness and play recognition.

Role Next Season: Matthews could contribute as a freshman next season. Penn State has a lot of young players at wide receiver but if junior Joel Fernandez leaves early the team might have an opening as a starter.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Very nice. We just need to get you doing this earlier in the season for season 7.;)

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Very good and interesting, I am going to root against Perry in getting the recruit

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

LOL, yeah I should have started sooner but I have been lazy :)

Wasn't a lot of user battles to pick from this far out but I do think the featured SS is going to come in highly rated.

5. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm going to be upset if I lose out to UCLA on that guy. I was #1 on his board until this week when Perry jumped me :(

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Update from last week, Daniel Smith is soft committed to UCLA but has not signed on the dotted line. Nebraska isn't out of the race yet, but they need a miracle to sway Smith away from the coast.

User Battle of the Week

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Smith is a pure pocket passer but he possesses a great arm with an A grade on most scouting reports. He also possesses good accuracy with a B+ grade on the reports. Many compare him to current Ohio State quarterback Larry Walters, so Minnesota is quite familiar with this type of player.

Who Will Win: Oklahoma has the soft commit on the Texas prospect and could finalize the deal in the coming weeks. Minnesota will need to put in extra work to try and change his mind. Would a Texas kid really want to travel north to Minnesota and play in -25 Fahrenheit temperatures at TCF Bank Stadium?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Cronin ran the fastest time among the kids in the ESPN 150 with a 4.28 in the 40-yard dash. This is even more impressive when taking into consideration his size at 6'2 216 LB. He is also solid in terms of coverage, with B- grades in man and zone coverage. Physically he is one of the most talented players in this class but he needs to improve his mental approach to the game. Scouts graded his field awareness as a D-, which could prevent him from starting next season.

Role Next Season: I spoke with Coach Dru and Cronin will get a crack at the starting job next season if Cronin performs in spring practices. His main competition will be sophomore Jamie McKinney. Current Florida State starter Robert Bowser will finish his college eligibility after this current season wraps up.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Updates:

Daniel Smith signed his letter of intent and will play for [​IMG]

@Papa Perry - Reaction to Daniel Smith's signing and his expected role next season
    Dante Smith signed his letter of intent and will play for [​IMG]

@Twister18 - Reaction to Dante Smith's signing and his expected role next season

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

User Battle of the Week

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Johnson is one of the best cover corners in this recruiting class. He received a B+ grade in man coverage, zone coverage and press. He also has good athleticism with a B+ grade in speed, acceleration and stamina, along with a B in jumping. He does need to improve his tackling ability (D), until then he will not be much help in the run game. He also needs to improve his field awareness (D-) but he is quick at reading the play (B).

Who Will Win: LSU has the lead, despite Minnesota and Texas hosting Johnson a few weeks back. The Gophers and the Longhorns will need to convince the prospect to join their school. Minnesota may have the best shot of changing his mind, considering the prospect is from the midwest. Still Minnesota does not have the long standing tradition of LSU, so it may be a tough sell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scouting Notes: He is a small guard at 286 LB but he makes up for his small size with good athleticism for his position. McGill is a balanced guard with solid pass and run blocking skills, grading a B- according to scouting reports. He also has good strength with a B grade and even a C grade in awareness. In all scouts loved McGill and he did not grade below a C in any area.

Role Next Season: McGill is a promising recruit but he likely won't have a large impact on Ohio State next season. The team is expected to have some talented players return. Starter Paul Cooke has one more year of eligibility and a pair of redshirt freshmen are expected to battle for the other opening.

9. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Daniel Smith signed his letter of intent and will play for [​IMG]

We are now with Coach Papa Perry at a local LA strip club: Hollywood Cabaret. CAUTION: HE IS DRUNK "Coach, what is your reaction to Daniel Smith signing with your UCLA team?"

Well I'm just glad there are still recruits who knows what is best for them. We showed Daniel we cared and he was on our small list of guys rather than going for 50 guys at once like some ignorant people who thinks someone should sign with them because of their schools name. Most importantly, we're glad this kid is intelligent enough to know that the campus lifestyle in LA is better than being on acres of flat land where there is nothing to do but shove corn cobs up your ass and fuck chickens. Fucking weirdos.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Dante Smith is coming to OU!! I am looking forward to seeing him in Sooner Red!!

[​IMG]

11. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

FUCK YOU

• Like Like x 1
  12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Looks like Perry unearthed an unwanted child hood memory from Beazus. "Why don't come on in that there barn Leon. I got corn for ya, you like corn don't ya?

[​IMG]

13. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Its Crimson. Crimson and Cream. Those bastards...

14. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I actually knew that because of the hype back when Alabama went to Oklahoma, the university asked the traveling Bama fans to wear white to show support so we'd stand out.

Funny story about that game too: One of my friends went to the game and totally missed the surprise onside kick Bama attempted succesfully on the opening kick-off. He said he was looking for the ball in the air while the whole deal was going on. We still crack jokes on him about that. Sadly we lost the game but gave Oklahoma more of a fight than we were supposed to during those dark times.

15. Beazus Christ

To those unfortunate souls from Wisconsin I say this ...

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Update: Johnathon Johnson decided to go with Michigan alumni Les Miles and LSU. Coach Slick and coach Beazus were not able to out work the slick talking Les Miles. The LSU coach may not be able to manage a 2 minute drill but he is one hell of a recruiter.

User Battle of the Week

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scouting Notes: Speed is Brady's best attribute and the reason so many schools are seeking his services. He is one of the fastest players in this class and he gets up to speed at a decent rate (B acceleration). In other areas he appears to be lacking at this point, especially ball security which was graded a D-. He also isn't good on third downs as he can't catch (D-) or block (D-).

Who will win: Right now the real battle appears to be between Washington State and Texas. Brady will visit Austin later this week as Texas takes on highly ranked Nebraska. If Brady does not commit from his visit to Austin, he will travel north to Pullman for a visit with the Cougars. My prediction, if Brady makes the trip to Washington State he will be a Cougar next season. WSU coach is on record that he is going all in for Brady, maybe he will throw in the Cam Newton package.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scouting Notes: At 6'6 255 Henry should be a popular target for his quarterback in the redzone. The tight end has enough speed (B-) to get away from defenders and he has solid hands (B-) when the quarterback throws the ball his way. Henry can also be an asset as a blocker, especially in terms of run blocking (C+). He will need to work on his football knowledge, he graded a D- in awareness according to the reports.

Role Next Season: The #5 recruit in this class will likely be the #2 TE for the Sooners next season. Current starter Chaz Stephens will be back next season but Henry should be able to unseat Greg Garcia for the second spot on the depth chart. Oklahoma may use more two tight end sets next season to get Henry on the field.

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Twist is killing it in recruiting this season. I just wonder what team they will transfer to.

18. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

All I am going to say about the recruitment of Brady, is that if the school signs the kid a certain coach in Florida is going to be the new offensive coordinator

19. Beazus Christ

That was fucking awesome

20. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Update on Mr. Brady after his visit to Austin/UT

[​IMG]

I stand by my point last week, Washington State will get Brady. He did not commit to Texas after the visit and WSU is still #1 on his list. I think his recruitment will wrap up this week when he visits Pullman.

21. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Brady was spotted below partying at Lake Travis all weekend with some of University of Texas "finest" recruiters. He seemed to be really enjoying himself. Especially, after watching a huge win against rival Nebraska. Word on the street is he is visiting Washington out of courtesy.

Brady was overheard saying "Why would I choose wheat fields over all of this....LOOK AT THE ASS ON THAT GIRL!"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]