1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Recruiting Strategies

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OsirisMonster, Nov 5, 2010.

1. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I guess this only really applies to those folk about to recruit a steady stream of 4* or above talent.

I'm wondering how people approach recruiting and the use of scholarships. Obviously we can only sign 3 people of 5* status and you'd always want to fill up all those slots if you could. But what about 4* talent. Do people look to fill up remaining roster slots with 4* talent? Since we cannot cut a 4* recruit regardless of how low their rating comes in at are people hesitant to sign 4* talent at times?

For myself I'll target signing 2-3 5* players in during season and then look to get 4* players but making sure I'm not filling all my roster slots with 4* talent. This year I have 20 scholarships to offer with 15 open roster slots. I'll look to sign 3 players of 5* talent (leaving me 17 scholarships and 12 roster slots) then get 7 players of 4* talent (leaving 10 scholarships and 5 roster slots left). With those other 10 scholarships I like to sign maybe 4-5 3* players. These are guys I'm taking a chance on but can cut if they end up lower rated then I'd like. Say I sign 5 of them. Then going into the off season (assuming no one leaves early) I'll have 5 scholarships I can offer and 5 open roster slots. In off season I can see what new 4 star players open up and if I like them go after them. If I don't I can try for some more 3* players.

Ideally I'd end off season with 15 roster slots I'd sign 3 players at 5*, 9 players of 4*, and 6 players of 3* quality. The 5 and 4 * I have to keep. The 3* would compete for the remaining three roster slots.

Anyone else look at this type of setup or do you have entirely different approach?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I look to fill the roster with as many 4* as possible unless a guy has some attribute that I crave for a particular position. IE Speed on defense ect. I figure if I need to cut I will cut an upperclassmen who is waisting a scholarship.

3. TD351

TD351 Walk On

We are allowed to sign 5stars? Kidding- it is not an issue to me because my program does not have the prestige to get interest from them....yet

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I look at a number of things: First, I try to fill my 5 star slots, if I can. I may sign all 3 this year, but I may go into the off-season with one slot open, perhaps two. (I'm pretty sure I'll get a :5stars: DTackle by week 9 or so.) I do my best to sign the guys most likely to play right away. Next, I try to take the best available (and by available, I mean talent, developing pipeline state, position needs - it all factors in) which, in many cases, tends to be 4 star guys. Last, I try to find the quality three star guys. I really search this pool carefully. If I can get half or more of these guys to be 75 and up in the ratings, I've done well. If I don't get any in the sixties, I've done well. These are my target numbers.

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I find it fun to look for 3* players that end up coming in as talented freshman. Finding those rare 73+ OVR 3* are worth saving scholarships for.