Recruiting Strategies

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OsirisMonster, Nov 5, 2010.

1. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I guess this only really applies to those folk about to recruit a steady stream of 4* or above talent.

I'm wondering how people approach recruiting and the use of scholarships. Obviously we can only sign 3 people of 5* status and you'd always want to fill up all those slots if you could. But what about 4* talent. Do people look to fill up remaining roster slots with 4* talent? Since we cannot cut a 4* recruit regardless of how low their rating comes in at are people hesitant to sign 4* talent at times?

For myself I'll target signing 2-3 5* players in during season and then look to get 4* players but making sure I'm not filling all my roster slots with 4* talent. This year I have 20 scholarships to offer with 15 open roster slots. I'll look to sign 3 players of 5* talent (leaving me 17 scholarships and 12 roster slots) then get 7 players of 4* talent (leaving 10 scholarships and 5 roster slots left). With those other 10 scholarships I like to sign maybe 4-5 3* players. These are guys I'm taking a chance on but can cut if they end up lower rated then I'd like. Say I sign 5 of them. Then going into the off season (assuming no one leaves early) I'll have 5 scholarships I can offer and 5 open roster slots. In off season I can see what new 4 star players open up and if I like them go after them. If I don't I can try for some more 3* players.

Ideally I'd end off season with 15 roster slots I'd sign 3 players at 5*, 9 players of 4*, and 6 players of 3* quality. The 5 and 4 * I have to keep. The 3* would compete for the remaining three roster slots.

Anyone else look at this type of setup or do you have entirely different approach?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I look to fill the roster with as many 4* as possible unless a guy has some attribute that I crave for a particular position. IE Speed on defense ect. I figure if I need to cut I will cut an upperclassmen who is waisting a scholarship.

3. TD351

TD351 Walk On

We are allowed to sign 5stars? Kidding- it is not an issue to me because my program does not have the prestige to get interest from them....yet

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I look at a number of things: First, I try to fill my 5 star slots, if I can. I may sign all 3 this year, but I may go into the off-season with one slot open, perhaps two. (I'm pretty sure I'll get a :5stars: DTackle by week 9 or so.) I do my best to sign the guys most likely to play right away. Next, I try to take the best available (and by available, I mean talent, developing pipeline state, position needs - it all factors in) which, in many cases, tends to be 4 star guys. Last, I try to find the quality three star guys. I really search this pool carefully. If I can get half or more of these guys to be 75 and up in the ratings, I've done well. If I don't get any in the sixties, I've done well. These are my target numbers.

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I find it fun to look for 3* players that end up coming in as talented freshman. Finding those rare 73+ OVR 3* are worth saving scholarships for.