Recruiting Tables

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jun 17, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

To remind, our recruiting content will be basically contained within 2 stickied threads: 1 recruiting table thread in which each team will have one continually updated table/list of commitments and 1 recruiting summary thread which will contain all other articles, updates, summaries, signings, etc.

Notes:
    -the recruiting table thread has been started. please begin working on your templates for your table/commitment list. these tables/lists will be the ONLY thing that goes in the official recruiting table thread. anything else posted in that thread will be deleted.

2. vatechhokie01

as a note, the tables can be tricky. you are not required to do something real fancy but just fair-warning, copy and pasting table code (the best idea) doesn't work seamlessly. the best way i have found is to copy the entire code into a Word document. situate EVERYTHING code-wise exactly how you want it in the Word document and then paste into a thread while continually using the "Preview" function to make sure it looks right before submitting (Bonner!).

i can help with little stuff if you need questions answered. i am also fine with a simple list as long as you organize it well and that it is obviously continually updated and readable.

3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

hahahhahahahhaha

4. vatechhokie01

mullen... way to be the co-commish and yet still be the first to have a post deleted in the recruiting table thread because you didn't read.

5. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers so this will be tricky to say the least. (delete after reading)

6. vatechhokie01

you are also a complete idiot when it comes to actually reading...lmao. im only deleting those posts in the Official Stickied Table Thread.

you guys literally are not smart.

7. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

No i understood... i thought it would be a funny reference like "burn after reading" or "this message will self distruct after reading" a little go-go gadget?

8. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

no I read it....dont care. I do what I want

9. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

posting the tables will be a task for me. I suck at this posting code stuff almost more then Heath sucks on Mullen

• Like Like x 1
  10. vatechhokie01

again, couple things on tables:

1) Sample, a list is fine. We love the effort but this code crap is not for everyone... and thats cool. Just make the list readable, for example...

***Joe Smith, DE, 6'2", 160lbs, Washington DC, #11 DE
    **Jimmy Harris, QB, 6'0", 180lbs, Seattle WA, #50 QB

... and so on. But keep it updated as is required.

2) The table code is tricky. Bonner, way to already screw yours up after it looked pretty (I have done this a bazillion times). But seriously, you have the right idea clearly. Again, in my experience, and that of which is quite annoying, its very difficult to make table changes/formatting without doing it completely in another document (Word, etc) and then pasting it in to the old place that you have now deleted. For whatever reason, copy/pasting other's codes and even editing your own within the forum creates issues with formatting. I just keep a document with my templates/codes/info and then when i want to make a change, i manipulate that... then insert it in afresh. Not sure why it is like this. Maybe others can weigh in but I've tried and haven't got much response. I use Google and Safari. Maybe Explorer works better. No idea. But it does take some time and definite trial/error unfortunately.

3) Gramps has a pretty nice idea but that takes time too. And obviously has its own viewing issues a tad. But worth exploring.

4) inserting pictures and editing fonts, text and other outside of tables works just fine from my experience. So pretty it up a bit!

11. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

I can simply my post if needed for easier reading.....what I like about Google spreadsheet is once I post to the forum, I do not have to do again...just update in Google docs and within 5 minutes the post at the forum is updated, without having to go to the forum.

If you want everyone to use the code approach, will do so....just need to see how to do so, never have done a table via code in the forum

12. vatechhokie01

bro, you can use whatever. i think your idea is pretty freakin brilliant and once again proves that the old guy knows more about comps than we do. keep it. its not that easy on the eyes and it took me a sec to figure out that it wasnt all highlighted but that you used purple fill on purpose... but thats a pretty darn good idea.

P.S. Just messing around a bit more I am definitely having a bit more success in Safari than Chrome. Explorer might even be better. Not sure what you guys use.

13. vatechhokie01

btw... Bonner, your code looks perfect. You are having the same issue I was. You using Chrome? Explorer? What?

I'm telling ya, take whoever's code you want to use and put it in a word processing doc. fully manipulate it there and then insert it into your post.

14. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

I use Firefox the majority of the time, once anwhile Chrome....would like to learn to use code as well...

So can you post your code? Also when you post into the forum do you use the BB code editor? Which option do you select, general, PHP or HTML? I found some PHP code, posted it...but no table...

Haven't tried the Word first approach...

15. vatechhokie01

i don't use the editor thingy, just type code in with my post (maybe this is a problem? dont think so). as for my code, just go to my recruiting table and hit reply. all my code should show up then. there is also some BBCodes on the "Help" tab at the top of the site but not too much awfully useful for tables (although it def helps "get the idea" of the code).

16. vatechhokie01

continuing...

fonts don't seem to work on the tables and seem to be the biggest pain with regard to the tables (at least in safari/chrome). i literally type text into every single "cell" of the table. painful. and then doubly painful, that code doesn't show up when you try and view or copy it... it is there but embedded i suppose. no idea. freakin hate the font, alignment and bolding/italics/etc within the indiv cells of the table cuz there seems to be no easy workaround

17. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

So I copied your post via reply...pasted into new post, did preview, worked fine....I used the BB code editor by clicking on the A in the right hand top corner new post, worked fine, table looked fine. Then I pasted the code into a word document and adding in a new row/text info....for me this is where it bogs down as you have to copy and paste the vertical dividers to mantain your columns......still the new table worked.

I streamlined my Google Spreadsheet post so that only those rows that I input data are showing, second changed the background to black, white text......so table shows up without any scrolling....

As I said with Google Spreadsheet you only have to post the link one time.....you do all your changes at Google Docs....just type and tab to next cell....Google docs saves automatically, so thats not a worry, original post updated within 5 minutes.........what I envision once we get into recuriting is have two browser windows open, my google docs spreadsheet recuirting table and my recuriting page at the dynasty web site....then type in and/copy paste info.....Its easier to do different fonts, colors...add in special features, as I did the Map showing where recurits are from.....

Everyone finds what works for them.....Thanks

18. vatechhokie01

Holy. Crap. You just saved my life! I want to kiss you on the mouth!

summary: I had no idea that the code editor was there. I am an idiot. Makes things crazy easier. I knew there had to be a fix.

You are right. I am wrong. You are smart. I am dumb. You are good-looking. I am.... not attractive.

19. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i dont plan on reading on that crap, can someone write a 100 word or less summary...thanks

20. vatechhokie01

100-word summary: Don't be an idiot, copy someone else's code, and figure out how it works.

21. vatechhokie01

bonner and goose (and everyone)... i noticed really all you need to do with your tables and what messses up the formatting (for whatever reason) is all the fonts, sizes, alignments crap. so edit your post, go into the BB Code editor (upper right corner letter "A"), kind of isolate the code for your table only and then just delete all the font, sizing, alignment stuff and preview that. should work.

22. Goose

Goose Walk On

It'd probly work if I gave a shit, but I don't and it don't. ;)

23. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Be glad to work with anyone who wants to do recuriting tables via Google docs...just set up a google account, if you don't have one....then I send you my recuriting table blank and you can customize how ever you want....no more code, uploading each time...just update at Google docs and you are done

24. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yes i will do this

25. vatechhokie01

hey, wtf... just no one do anything. lets just start running TE post routes everyplay (goose, u should feel at home with this) and not talk.