Recruiting thoughts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by HackGolfer, Sep 9, 2010.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Recruiting thoughts

With two user teams raking in over half the :5stars: combined last year:

A) Should we switch from AA to Heisman?

B) Should we limit # of 5 stars per team?

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

A YES
    B HELL YES.. DAMN TEXAS!!! (jp bruce)

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

yes
    yes

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Did anyone other than Texas and Ohio State find it that easy to recruit? Would you guys still have fun if you couldn't sign any :5stars: and had smaller classes of :3stars: and :2stars: recruits? I think bumping recruiting to Heisman is a big jump instead of tweaking and seeing if we have the same results. I personally know that I lost several recruits to the CPU and I'm wary of making big adjustments before trying smaller ones. Maybe we just limit the amount of :5stars: you can bring in per position. It's not very realistic signing 3 or 4 :5stars: at the same position.
    My vote would be stay on All-American and put a cap on the amount of :5stars: you can bring in per position, but we'd have to agree on caps for each position. For example, more times than not, more than one :5stars: quarterback would not commit to the same school in the same class, but running backs, receivers, or other positions would because they would still get playing time.

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I say yes to both questions as well.

My thoughts are we are always going to be better than the CPU. I want the CPU to be competitive and realistic, so making it more difficult to get the upper tier recruits seems like a reasonable fix. I think the only two programs that will be at a significant disadvantage is Kentucky and Baylor, but I know with time they will build their prestige and round up better players.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I say no to both but maybe yes to the second one.

I took Texas in this league so I had a big time school and could recruit big time players.

If we mess with that it sorta screws up the fun for me...just being honest.

If we do decide to change it, its too late for this season imo and we can start with season 3.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Yeah nobody would or can bring in 3 or four :5stars: at one position in real life. I agree that maybe we should stay on AA and mess with the limits, I change my vote, jca was convincing.

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Yesssss!!!! One convert...who else...Whose comin' with me?
    I feel like Jerry Maguire. If we did a per position limit, the big schools would still have their big school advantage, but would have to decide between recruits a little bit like in real life. Coaches can rescind offers in real life which we can't do, but I think it would be better to have to choose which guy you think fits best as opposed to bringing them all in and then not playing some of them. The whole point of the limits is to keep us from hoarding players and keeping the CPU relevant, I think we can acheive that by saying you can only take x number of y position :5stars:. If you can sign an entire class of :5stars:, more power to you, my only problem is if you're recruiting :5stars: only to have them never see the field.

9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Try and make adjustments before going the Heisman route

A) No

B) Yes

10. BG

BG On The Rize!

A) No
    B) Yes

11. Emmdotfrisk

I'm actually 100% against limiting recruits according to position only because we will have a wide range of requirements for every school. For example, I am sure if hack could get 10 5 star WR's in a year, he would and I would accept that because he is Missouri that runs 4 and 5 wide sets nearly every play. There are times when I try and get 4 deep in all O line positions, and 6 or 7 deep in the RB range. By putting a restriction on this we are limiting everyone's coaching style and recruiting strategies.

I know I gave Ry a ton of shit about getting 3 five star Qb's but that was his decision. He will be incredibly deep at one of the most important positions in football, which is HUGE. Why should we limit that? because he went heavily after QB's some of his other key positions may lack.

And lastly, recruiting at Heisman difficulty is not about making it more difficult for us, it is about making the CPU better at it. Let's be frank, the CPU is brutal at recruiting and gameplay at times. Me and Hack tested a season on Heisman recruiting and you will find there isn't a huge difference. Texas and Ohio St still get baller recruits, it just makes the CPU make u work harder for it...........so your 500 point lead on a guy will dwindle quicker on Heisman than AA......forcing you to put more thought, time, and strategy into the guys you really want.

12. BRUCE80

I like a few of the ideas.

Limiting the number at any position is fine like two per or something.

It sucked losing out on the QBs last year, to me he put the time in and earned them, it had to cost him at other spots though.

If we want get rid of any extra bump and recruit to your senior class and thats it, I am for that.

13. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

I looked over the historical IRL records on recruiting over the last few seasons. Rivals.com usually grades about the same number of :5stars: players as the video game generates so its almost an apple to apple comparison..

In 2010: 26 :5stars: (4 went to Florida - 15%)
    In 2009: 33 :5stars: (4 went to LSU/Bama - 12%)
    In 2008: 30 :5stars: (5 went to OSU - 17%)
    In 2007: 29 :5stars: (6 went to USC - 20%)

My proposal is that we limit the total number of :5stars: that a team can commit based on the total number generated for that season.. Using the above data, the most ever was 20%, so I say we use that as our starting point.

This season there are 34 :5stars: players to choose from.. So for this year, 20% of the total would be 6 players..

You wouldn't have a limit on the position because I think its a strategy risk/reward if you want to burn your limit on only 2 positions to create depth. Remember that some of the 5 stars generated are also Juco players, so mixed in with True Freshman and Redshirting, you could have 3 :5stars: players recruited in the same season all see the same starting position in their career.

In summary:
    - Keep recruiting on AA
    - Limit :5stars: to 20% of total per team (starting this season)
    - Recruiting Limit = # Seniors + (70 - # on roster) + 3

Thoughts?

14. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I'm good with that.

15. Emmdotfrisk

Sounds like my example wasn't a good one. I was over exaggerating about stockpiling 5 stars, it should have been about stockpiling at Position regardless of recruit rating......my entire arguments was in regards to positional limitations. In fact I agree about restricting in coming 5 stars but at the same time want the CPU to be competitive.

16. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I don't think we really disagree, but it's all good. I appreciate the back and forth, I hope I didn't offend you, just trying to find a solution, but Hack seems to have come up with a good one.

17. BRUCE80

I like the idea HG but dont think its fair to start it this season. I have done my recruiting and set up my board.

If we were to start it now I just wasted a week of recruiting. I think we can all agree thats a huge deal.

I am for it starting after this year.

18. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I agree with Frisk on making the CPU more competitive. Im split on yes or no for both questions and Hacks proposal. If you run the same formula for the real life recruiting class and got 20%, what was OUR % in game last season? Idk how many 5stars OSU and Texas brought in, but I'd say its probably around there OR a little above. Which, face it, those programs always bring in a little more. Id like to see the settings at Heisman to see what it does for the CPU. Programs like Baylor and Kentucky are supposed to have a hard time nailing big time recruits, and some of us with teams that aren't consistently on the top of the board (PSU, Iowa, Mizzou...) are going to have a couple 5's, some 4s, and some 3s...that is how it is. You want to win big time 5star recruits, win football games. Build your prestige.

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

If we implemented this now it would do the same to everybody's recruiting board. Not that it is wasting a week, you wouldn't nail 8 5stars in one week. It's capping it at 6. So you gotta do more work at actually looking at guys in your pipeline and their skills, not fill up your board with 35 guys from the 150 list.

20. BRUCE80

I can appreciate that and I am well aware of what I need to do when it comes to recruiting.

21. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I am all for Heisman recruiting if we switch. I have no problem with that setting. I also like the limit on :5stars: based on what we have seen happen in the past. I know what I need to do to make Baylor work. I can do that wherever the recruiting setting is. I also like the limit at 70 with no extras, and no cuts. Makes you value EVERY roster spot.

22. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I'm ok with moving recruiting to Heisman and think Hack's plan is much better than a hard cap on 5*s.

In my opinion, one other thing to consider is Pipeline states. For example, what if the state of Texas had 8 five star recruits available and they all wanted to go to Texas. Shouldn't Texas be able to recruit as many of them as possible? It would be unrealistic for Texas not to go after them. Maybe you can recruit as many 5 stars as you want within your pipeline and only 1 or 2 outside of it. It would also add to the strategy of trying to build up pipelines in other states in order to have a better opportunity in the future. Just a thought.....

23. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I say no to both only because we already started the season. I put more :5stars: on my board and I already recruited for week 1. Normally, I would be in favor of limiting the :5stars:. I would say let's do it next year.

24. BG

BG On The Rize!

What do you mean by no cuts?

25. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

i know im not in this league but this year the recruiting pool is smaller and with the way recruiting is set up and the way the cpu recruitng AA and up it would be impossible to even get 25 recruits if you even tried. On Hiesman the cpu is basically set to cheat mode, #1 they will get more instant commits/try for them, the recruits are set that way for the cpu. #2 the cpu no matter what team or prestege will get max recruitng points aka 450-550 a week so they will murder the users getting those 5 stars. Now im not saying you guys should limit 5 stars but 3 5star qbs would never commit to one school ever. So as far as positions that could work if realistic numbers are set. my 2 cents.