Recruiting Update

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Recruiting Update

I thought I'd ask,

How are we doing so far this year? Did the restart become a much needed do-over for you guys? Before the collapse, it looked like my team and probably one other were really doing well, and the rest were struggling big time. We having more luck this time around?

I won't touch the class I lost, but I should be in the top ten or so once we're done, which is about where the Bucks typically land. How are the rest of you doing?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think I am doing fine. I have a bunch of 4* with me in the top 2. I shouldn't need to sign many people outside of the ESPN150. I am having some real battles over 5*s though. OSU and PSU seem to be my biggest competitor out of the users. Michigan seems to be my biggest cpu opponent. Hopefully a successful season will result in a couple of 5* post season players being interested. But we gotta get there first.

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Recruiting is rough but when you have 25 scholorships you can offer because of a large senior class not much you can really do about it. Hoping to land a solid class of 3 and 4 star prospects. Not sure if I'll get any 5 star though.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have the same issue. 18 seniors, 69 guys on the roster - means I can give out 24 scholarships. That's great, but it's hard to get that many quality guys interested. There just isn't enough time. You simply have to win every battle to choose to engage in, or you'll come up short in a big way.

I do it in waves. I focus on who I think I can sign fast, then those I think will sign mid-year, and the those I think will sign late. It's worked well so far, though I don't really know much until after this week. Got some killer prospects coming in, including the top FS who has A+ speed and A- acc. He's gonna be a wrecking machine in a couple of years, and since I play the FS, I can't wait.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Some hints that Arch passed along. Look at the ratings of the guys, see who fits your mold and avoid getting caught up in the "Star" system. You can sign alot of 4* with Oregon, 3* should come with ease.

6. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Not having control over recruiting board the first few weeks of the season hurt. In this year's game the those first few weeks can mean the difference between winning or loosing a recruit. I'm confident I'll recruit a decent team with the Ducks though, inline with the type of class they pull in each year.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Precisely. If you look closely, you can get a good idea which 3 star guys are going to be in the seventies, and which are likely to be lower.

Take any position, for example, and put four or five three star guys at that position on your board. Flip to that position, and open up the ratings for the first guy. Then, push the right stick down, and bring up the next guy's ratings, then the next, and so on. You'll see very quickly that these guys can vary by pretty noticeable amounts. Your interest in them should vary accordingly.

Now, if you find a few good threes, and they're not getting any attention, you can simply make the offer, and let it sit. The bar will fill without you having to touch them, and you can sign them late. Just check for new competition each week, but spend your time elsewhere. Once you sign the guys you want the most, fill in the gaps with the guys you've been ignoring. They'll still be there, and unless you picked up some competition along the way, you'll be so far ahead no one can catch you.

Another thing you can do with these guys - if they're not getting attention, spend 20 minutes or so a week, but don't offer. Once you become #1, then offer. Quite a few will flash sign. That's what happened with the four star DT I just got. When I saw he didn't get any attention in week one, I just held the scholarship until I was #1 on his list, and then I offered, and he signed. It works.

8. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Yeah that's pretty close to how I go about recruiting. I'm constantly re-arranging my recruiting board each week and jumping into the pool of recruits to see if there are any gems I can jump over. In my other OD I'm playing with Florida and I think that just spoils me. Week 11 and I have the #2 recruiting class in the nation with 17 guys already signed :) Oregon just isn't the recruiting powerhouse Florida is. I've got one guy signed already and he looks to be a good Steve Young type QB. Just need a few more to commit. I should have some people visiting next game in my Pac 10 home opener so hopefully they will be impressed by a win over Stanford and sign.

9. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I started writing a recruiting update last night, but decided to hold off until the next advancement.

The advantages of having the TTU program:

- A 3-star program in Texas is good enough to attract decent interest. Sure, I can't hang with the big boys, but I have a clear advantage over similar programs in weaker conferences and recuiting regions.

- Texas, Texas, Texas. If I get TTU where I want them to be, I won't ever have to leave the state. Surely I will, but it'll be gravy at that point.

- Talent/depth. I wasn't left with the kitchen bare. With the players on this team, I have of a couple of years to get my feet under me.

The disadvantages:

- Competition. Texas is deep in talent, but a lot of other programs are working hard to win the hearts of recruits. Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, etc. The smaller conference teams will battle you hard for the 3-stars and the major programs suffocate the 4 and 5-stars.

- As a 3-star program, TTU is an enticing option for some recruits, but we're not yet a clear-cut alternative to the smaller programs, and we have to work out butts off to nail down the ocassional 4-star.

- The Big 12 Conference. To do well with recruiting, you have to win. The problem? There are very few "easy" wins.

Right now, I have a good group of 15 players I'm targeting. I've gone hard after a few four stars, but most are 3-star players that I have targeted due to a specific skill-set and because I think they're under the radar.

At this point, I would have liked to see more early commits, but I'm okay with that, because I have a pretty substantial lead on most of them. Week 7 will be a huge game for me (KSU), as I'll have many recruits on campus. I hope to have a lot of good news shortly.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Ego,

You better watch out for Arch, he is trying to open up that Texas Pipeline, and if he does...OUCH!

I am lucky ND has a pretty widespread pipeline situation. I am getting PLine stats from New Jersey which helps with a certain guard I am after.

11. egofailure

Once I reach 5-star status, I wish Arch the best of luck in Texas, 'cuz he's going to need it. When I want a player from my state, he'll be mine ;)

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Though I havent signed anyone yet, I am really suprised in the intrest level diffrenece between 5 star oregon and 6 star Penn State. This has been alot more fun for me this go around. Cant wait for the advance to see if the strong armed QB pulls a Terelle Pryor on me and commits to Ohio State

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Looks like I have that pipeline locked up. I'm going to get a Texas kid, and I only need one.

This is what I like to call bulletin board material. :)

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm glad that EA quit the Big Ten disrespect and finally made Penn State a six star school. last year, I think the might have been a five (maybe a four) and Wisconsin was a four. Hell, Iowa was a three. That's a bit off, if you ask me.

15. egofailure

Haha, it's always good to have a little drama in a league! ;)

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

PSU was a five..have been for about three releases...ever since 05 happened.