Recruiting - "What do you look for?"

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Recruiting - "What do you look for?"

I'm just curious here. It looks like we all have very different styles. What makes a certain recruit worth the time for you guys?

I for one seem to recruit much differently than many of you guys. I don't pay much attention to caliber (though I do try to hit my limits) but rather to certain things I like my players to have. Are we all this way, or do some of us just try to bag the best ranked guys we can find?

Also, for those who are reeling in tons of top guys, how do you plan to keep them? Seems to me that some of us are going to have transfer problems going forward. Do you guys have a plan to deal with this? Do you recruit for retention?

Just curious. It looks like we'll pick up the pace a bit, and maybe get more seasons in, so it could be a factor going forward. That, and I'm a bit bored, so I thought I'd spark up a conversation.

AG

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I look for alot of things and the number of stars can be one of them if the player is worth it.

I have found that you can get some studs and future stars that may be a two star player if you really look at what they bring to the table.

I like size in my S's and cb's, awr never hurts.

Oline I look for speed and size, str and decent blocking ability dont hurt.... :D

QB I think awr plays a huge role, I also like some ability to move, it seems the arms are for the most part all pretty lame for incoming freshman, there are a few B+ power arms but not many.

Rbs I like some speed and str, ability to catch is huge and agility is big.

Dline I like speed and size, block shedding is important as well.

I recruited a two star DE who had off the charts measurables, when he came in he was rated higher then two four star DEs I recruited also. 78 overall I think with 86 speed and 84 str, he will be crazy good going forward.

The only difference in him and the other DEs??? The number of stars next to his name.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

All non-lineman positions have a minimum speed requirement for me. IE. you will probably never ever see a slow pocket passer on my team regardless of how strong his arm is and how high his awareness is. I'll take that 78 OVR 85 speed QB over that 88 over, 60 speed QB every time.

I recruit for need/depth first and foremost. I must have:
    POS minimum required
    QB 3
    HB 4
    FB 2 (even though I don't really use them)
    WR 6
    TE 3
    T 5
    G 5
    C 3
    DE 5
    DT 5
    OLB 5
    MLB 3
    CB 5
    SS 3
    FS 3

That leaves me with 8 extra guys to spread around. As long as I'm that deep, losing guys early isn't a big deal as I always have other guys to replace him. While I don't bother trying to figure out who'll transfer away, I always try to guess who'll enter the draft early and recruit to replace him.

Caliber is one of the most important things that I look for, but not as important as their individual skills. I have certain skills that I go by for each position and that's the most important thing on a position by position basis, but I won't even look at :2stars: guys unless they have crazy speed, size, or strength. Even then, it's highly unlikely I'd choose him over a :4stars: kid.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Of course I try and find guys to fit my scheme...I'm sure I go for the same guys most of you do. I mean, who doesn't want the fast TE with blocking skills that are above average?

I'll initially look at caliber but also look at who really wants to come to my school...Sometimes one attribute will be good enough to try and get the kid. I also like tall CB's but I won't ignore a shorter one if he's an all-world kind of guy.

I don't have any real specific methods...And really, with the limits we have, I'm still feeling out what the heck I'm doing. It's totally changed my mindset, and I like it.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I have a template at about every position...of course it has changed now that I am Army.

QB: Fast, durable and decent accuracy.
    RB: One quick and one power, I like to have Thunder and Lighting
    FB: See Jonathon Dwyer
    WR: Tall, can make the catch when needed and can block on the perimeter
    TE: Third Tackle
    OL: Quick with decent size
    DL: I want tackle size at every position. Ideally people who can push the line of scrimmage and occupy linemen.
    OLB: Speedy with tackling ability
    MLB: Good size and can get off blocks
    CB: Speed and good coverage skills, so I can depend on them when I blitz
    FS: Another CB, little bigger
    SS: Another LB, little faster.

:)

6. jello1717

Uhhhh. Good luck with that one!

And that's one of the things I don't understand about this game. My 3rd best SR HB (yes, I have 3 seniors at halfback) is about 230 with 87 speed. That sounds like a FB to me! He even switched to FB in real life. In the game, I think he'd be rated about a 45 if I moved him to FB. For whatever reason, I haven't seen hardly any big HBs that make even mediocre FBs.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Rating is meaningless when you switch positions because of awareness. If I am running the ball with him, it is MY awareness that matters.:)

8. jello1717

I'd imagine for a FB, you'd want some pretty high awareness so he can pick up blocks for your other runners though.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

QB: I look for the best arm. Everything else is a bonus.

HB: Like shaun, I like a speed and a power guy. However, a five star balanced back can be both. I like to spread carries, though, so I prefer two guys.

WR: Hands, Release, and Route Running. These guys are open more often, and they beat the press coverage users so enjoy playing. A little breakaway speed is nice, but not the real goal.

TE: I prefer receivers. Blockers have their advantages, but I throw to my TE's a fair amount.

OL: Haven't seen big differences between pass blockers and run blockers. I look for good feet, though, since I like to pull guys, and I don't want my tackles getting beat by the DE's.

D-Line: Whoever's best, though I like speed on the ends, especially in this year's game.

LB: Fast on the outside, beefy in the middle.

CB: Best overall skills with a minimum of 90 or so speed. Good agility is a must.

FS/SS: Good coverage at the FS (I play the FS, and I need speed to recover from my mistakes), hitters at the SS (I like to play them up a bit).

That's pretty much what I look for.

AG

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

QB- Arm. I'd take a freak like Oklahoma got this year who has speed too, but I really need a good passer. If I had that guy Oklahoma got and I could mix in a few option plays a game from shotgun, I would be in heaven. Probably not going to happen.

RB- Last year was all about speed, this year I don't really care about it. I'd rather have a good balanced guy than a speed guy, and I'm going to try to always keep a big back on my roster for short yardage.

TE - Needs to be able to run and catch. This year's crop was terrible. If that's what we're going to get every year, my game could really suffer 3 seasons from now. This position is my biggest priority, along with QB.

WR- Not sure yet. Last year it was speed. This year, I think I'm leaning more toward catch rating and size. And release for sure given press cov is pretty effective this year.

OL/DE/LB - I really just try to get the best available. No real sense for what the important attributes are here. Speed at LB was nice last year. Not sure if it's matters as much this year.

CB/S - I like size. I hate these 5'9" 160 lb corners and safeties they put on the board. I also look for AWR & play rec.

11. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'm still a bit curious as to how these ratings translate to on the field performance...Like Dat said, I'm really excited by my new QB who has B+ THP and THA. Does that mean both will start off in the high 80's? I'd guess so but I'm not sure. If that's the case, the guy prob. will redshirt and might not play for a couple of seasons while Landry Jones plays b/c Landry has low to mid 90 THP and this THA is mid to upper 80's.

12. BRUCE80

Your new qb....pffftt

We recruited him, here is hoping he transfers back to our staff.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

He committed to the school, not the coach...

14. BRUCE80

Dont be so sure.

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

"Will the gentleman from Alabama please shut the f**k up"