Recruiting...

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by IXI DECAY IXI, Dec 12, 2011.

1. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Okay, so I'm pulling in some high star recruits but their overalls are just not panning out for me. What are some tips on what to start looking for when recruiting guys. My biggest problem seems to be the offensive and defensive linemen. I can't seem to find any decent linemen and I can't find any dominant linemen on defense as well.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Strength should be C+ or better

All the blocking attributes should be C or C+ or better. If they have things in the B's and most things at C+, they should be pretty good.

For tackles some speed and accel are nice

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Lol, I'm watching you keller

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Why are speed and accel nice for tackles?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keller

lol what?

6. Keller

I guess its a figment of my imagination. I always felt like OT's should be fast/quick enough to deal with speed rushers off the edge. Sounds like I'm wrong though.

7. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

I heard about guards being fast for pulling reasons but your theory makes sense as well. If they can't have decent speed then at least a good acceleration would be nice.

8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    In real life: Guards should have speed for pulling. Tackles having speed is a luxary, but it's generally not needed.

In the game: Typically doesn't matter. Guards seem to whip around based on run blocking sliders, imo. Although fast OL tend to be able to get the hell out of the way faster if you do hit a hole and they are trying to get to the next level.

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Keller is right though, you gotta look at players and see how they fit in your system. For example, once I get my team up to about 4 star, I only recruit CB's with B or above man coverage- I like to be bale to play man-to-man the majority of the game. I recruit safeties that can cover deep halves over top well and etc. where people fit. A lot of the times I'll find a 3star who will fit way better than a 4 star.

Not much insight I know, I just wanted to chime in.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think it's important to understand the ratings have come down ths year. If your expectations are in line with the reality of this year's game, then I stand corrected... Anything above 75 is pretty damn good this year for an offensive lineman.

I almost always sort for strength for any offensive lineman or defensive tackle, and then look for a combination of speed and strength for defensive ends. I haven't noticed a fantastic benefit from having athletic linemen in this year's game as far as offense goes, so I'm really looking for players that are strong then have as many of the technical ratings as possible. My understanding is that "Pass block" and "run block" are virtually meaningless when playing a game, but matter in a sim. I am looking for C+ and above at all of the technical ratings such as PBF, PBS, RBF, RBS, etc... Awareness/athleticism are a nice bonus but strength and technique are my only requirements.

For defensive linemen PURSUIT is a very close second behind strength for DT's and the speed/strength combination for defensive ends. Of course the moves they have matter too, but it's hard to find players that have everything. I advise above all, looking at the ratings instead of the position rankings. Those can be very misleading... as you've found.

11. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Thanks for the insight so far guys! Lot of tips and improvements for me to start looking for because I was looking at pass block and run block and not looking at the techniques and I never sim any game.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Just to sort of follow up on that last point (I had to step away from the computer) I have a spreadsheet that estimates players value just based on their ratings. it's not uncommon for the #1 or #2 guy to really be the best one... And then the 3rd guy is really the 15th best player or something... And it just gets really jumbled up, can't rely on that at all. Sometimes the 12th rated guy at a position is the one I think is the most talented.

13. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

Link it! That would be awesome.

14. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

on the DL i look for BSH and spd. My dl has always been solid. STR is important also, but i'll take less STR for more BSH any day. OL, just try to get guys that have good ACC and are consistent across the board. The important part is building depth and not having them play till RS Soph/Jr years. At that point, they'll be ready. I don't think people carry enough lineman. I run a LOT, 80% of the time, and a lot of triple option out of the gun. Having a C with very good speed is huge. He gets to that second level very quick and allows me to break off big runs. C is critical.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lawl

16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

:doodie:

17. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I found a lot of good info with this on the NCAA 11 release when I was using Iowa. It really all depends on the offense. In a run heavy offense, look at ACC and AWR for the guards along with good blocking skills. On pulling plays, they will be devastating. The OT's tend to not need as much ACC, but need better PBF to keep those fast edge rushers at bay. AWR is still a #1 in my book, because if the guy can't decide who to block, it does not matter how good he CAN block. By the later seasons as Iowa (after Coker left) I was using RB's rated in the low 80's and still making big runs out of power formations on users. It was all because of the line in front of them.

With my other OD at Baylor, I ran the spread. I converted a lot of tackles to guards for PB reasons, but I also still tried to keep the higher accel guys at G for the run plays out of shotgun and running the zone read. If you get the guard moving to the second level the same time you are going around the corner off that tackles ass, it makes a great cutback lane that springs a lot of big runs.

18. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

giving shitty advice

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keller

sweet?