Red Downs Black in SDSU Spring Scrimmage, 17-13

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Oshiomogho, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]

Shaun Carroll makes a leaping grab in the Red-Black game.

March 22, 2014

SAN DIEGO - The Red squad held off a late rally by the Black team in a 17-13 victory Sunday in the San Diego State football team's annual Red & Black Game. More than 1,200 fans were in attendance at the SDSU Sports Deck as the Aztecs put on a physical display on both sides of the ball.

It looked like it was going to be a high scoring affair early when touchdowns were scored on the first three possessions of the game. The Red team opened the scoring with a nine-play, 65-yard drive that culminated with an 11-yard touchdown run by redshirt junior running back Lonnie Vincent. The Red squad took advantage of three penalties on the drive for 45 yards by the Black defense.

The Black team answered on its first possession, marching 65 yards on seven plays, mainly through the air. Sophomore quarterback Aaron Andrews threw for 54 yards on the drive, including a 19-yard touchdown strike to sophomore wide receiver B.J. Banks.

[​IMG]
    Quarterback Aaron Andrews drops back to pass

The Red squad wasted no time on its next offensive trip when freshman quarterback Darrell Bradley found sophomore wide receiver Shaun Carroll for a 29-yard touchdown pass on the fourth play of the drive. It came one play after Bradley tossed a 38-yard screen pass to Vincent to get deep into Black territory.

Late in the second quarter, the Red defense came up big as Sophomore Brandon Penn forced a fumble that was recovered by freshman safety Stewart Vaughn and returned all the way to the Black 30. Bradley made it a 17-7 advantage for the Black team when he nailed a 36-yard field goal.

The Red squad answered with a seven-play drive that started with just 1:24 left in the half and ended with a 34-yard field goal by Bradley to bring the Red to within seven points at 17-10.

After back-to-back three-and-outs by each team, the Black squad drove 60 yards on nine plays over 6:23, but had to settle for a 24-yard field goal by Bradley.

The Black team's final attempt to take the lead began on its own 23-yard line with 4:00 left. Black used quick passing strikes of nine, eight, six and 18 to get to the Red 36. After gaining only two yards on the next three plays, Black was faced with a fourth and eight to keep the game going. Freshman quarterback Roman Fuqua's throw to freshman Seth Anderson, however, was incomplete after Red's Justin Dunbar broke up the pass with a big hit.

[​IMG]
    Quarterback Darrell Bradley passes to an open Shaun Carroll

The two teams combined for 274 passing yards on 36 passing attempts. Bradley completed 4-of-8 attempts for 100 yards and a touchdown, while Fuqua tossed for 85 yards (8-of-16 attempts). Andrews was 3-for-6 for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Banks (66 yards, touchdown) and redshirt junior Marcus Russell (51 yards) each caught four passes, while Vincent (56 yards) and Carroll (36 yards, touchdown) had two catches apiece.

Jovan Hudson, the veteran leader of the running back group, had a game-high 42 yards on eight carries. Bradley rushed for 36 yards on five carries, Marvin Wilson had a combined 26 yards on nine rushes and Vincent rushed 12 times for 21 yards and a score.

There went plenty of impressive defensive players in the game as well, including Senior Cody Galea and senior Everett Beed, who had two sacks apiece. Beed and Penn each forced a fumble, while Penn, redshirt freshman Kenny Carroll and redshirt freshman Mark Brown all added solo sacks.

Freshman Blake Holman had two tackles for a loss and junior Kyle Burnett broke up a pass and had a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

[​IMG]
    Final Thoughts

Coming into the game, the main question seemed to be which quarterback would emerge as the stater. Neith of the four quarterbacks on the roster have college experience and three are still learning the playbooks on their first year on campus.

Coming out of the game, the question appears to be just as hot on everyone's minds. We have been given word that incoming athlete Cameron Coley will be sitting out the season due to a late start learning the playbook. It appears the competition is between redshirt sophomore Aaron Andrews vs true freshman Darrell Bradley.

Andrews had the ability to sit under Ryne Clark and Jake Bernards for the previous two seasons while working the scout offense against an improving defense. Coached believe Andrews has the stronger and more accurate arm but like what Bradley offers in his versatility. There has been talk of a dual QB offense in which Andrews takes over in the obvious passing situations while Bradley would get the starts.

Like when Ryan Lindley graduated 3 seasons ago, the Aztecs opened the season with a quarterback competition between Clark and Bernards in which Clark solidified the starting role by week 3 and never looked back. Look for a similar occurrence this season in which the quarterback who wins the job may be able to staple himself in the starting lineup for the next three to four seasons.

2. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

Good stuff. Can't wait to get some practice time in with my team and get into recruiting.... My goal will be to sign all Top 150 players on board or come very close to it.

3. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

my team is awful this year. my QB debate is between a 70 OVR sophomore or a 63 OVR freshman. Im starting a FB at HB, I DONT HAVE A KICKER!
    Im starting 3 freshman LBs in my 3-4. in fact 11 of my 23 starters have no playing time every in the college level

I think I can make things work but it will be a struggle at times

[​IMG]

4. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

how were you able to play against your team off and def that is? Just curious, I would like to do something like this and make a post on Air Force.

5. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

shhhh, there is no practice until we advance. Ive done the "spring game" before as i would take it offline but they dont let us do that. so... none of the above actually happened :) i edited the real game roster with my QBs though for a little target practice in a play now game. im excited to test out in a game. hoping i get some time before a big conference matchup