Redshirt Sliders

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Jan 28, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Post your thoughts here:

My initial impressions are thus:

-The game was competitive and definitely more challenging than the previous sliders against a team inferior to my own.

-I found it very difficult to run, averaged exactly 3 ypc between my two backs. D-lineman were in the backfield immediately on most of my running plays. Again, this could all be attributed to my bad offensive line so I'm curious to see what other people observed.

-Passing was difficult but not overly so. It was very realistic IMO. Pass rush wasn't out of control. It was well balanced.

-CPU offense was decent and could move the ball on me, especially through the air which is where I'm weak on defense. They turned the ball over 3 times, otherwise the score may have been closer.

2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

A little recent history on the set:

To begin our season this year (season 6), I made tweaks to the sliders which were the first changes in about 2 years I would say.

At the end of last season I noticed that a lot of backs (even the above average ones) were over 6 YPC. It was nearly half the league. So I made slight tweaks. The results I have been seeing this year are outstanding in the run game I feel. You need a good offensive line AND a good back to get results in the run game. Previously it was one or the other. Last I checked the stats were exactly what I would expect with these settings.

3. PAgamer07

One thing I have noticed JC, is that you HAVE to find what works in the run game and keep pounding it. Eventually youll start breaking of big runs

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Thats a good thing. I'm by no means hating on the sliders, just observing. I don't mind it being difficult to run. I shouldn't be able to do it that well this year with my current O-line and average HB.

5. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I found it tough to run but really feel behind so early that I had to abandon it all together. Hopefully, I'll get a better feel for them in my next game. VT was rated better than me and won. I could have played better and made it a better game so Im happy with the sliders thus far...more to come after the Miami game.

6. PAgamer07

I think our top user RBs are the guy in Penn State (Logan?) and the kid in Alabama. Im pretty sure theyll get 100+ games and if so, that means they are working as intented.

Im sure that @GoGators will bitch if the spread doesnt work though :p

7. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I had some good runs out of the shotgun surprisingly.

8. PAgamer07

Well thats good. No one uses the spread there. AJ used to use Oregon's playbook and switched a couple seasons ago. Yeah, Ive had some good runs out of shotgun as well, just not sure about the key play (read option) I dont like it and never use it.

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

That was the play I used and had some decent success with it.

10. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Nope, I'm done bitching about that. It's obvious that you can't have the best of both worlds with this game cause if the spread works then the pro style is way too easy. So I'd rather see you guys struggle and I'll find a way to make it work vs the CPU.

And on the flip side, I get user games against LSU and FSU every season. It wasn't very difficult running the ball against you this past season :)

11. PAgamer07

sliders dont affect user games, but Ill remember to use that as motivation for our game next year.

12. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Impressions after one game...

I think the user RB ability could use a bump. That would help the running game. During my game I couldn't make any of the cpu defenders miss.

And even though I couldn't run the ball my 80 overall QB threw for over 300 yards. Accuracy seemed to be a lot better than before.

13. PAgamer07

Which back? Buice? If so he's only an 85 overall with: 83 Break Tackle, 78 truck, 79 elusiveness, 78 stiff arm, 95 spin move, 98 juke and 78 agility. Unless you were manually doing jukes and spin moves with R stick, his ratings arent good enough to be doing anything too special.

And you only gave it to him 10 times...

14. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I was thinking my HB should have been better based on his ratings too, but I really think my problems are with the O-line so I'll wait and see. I have two more CPU games still.

15. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I got a really terrible draw to try out new sliders against. I played West Virginia and their 3-3-5 defense, which the cpu plays as a blitz-fest. I attempted to run the ball in the first half, but to be honest wound up audibling out of the run play because they would show blitz with 8 guys in the box. Consequently I had a pretty big day passing. The times I did run it, I thought it was pretty tough. Mainly because my guys felt really slow. I agree with Bill that we could use a bump on RB ability. I had holes that seemed to take FOREVER to get to, let alone thru the hole. That was true with all my backs. I finished the game with a 2.3 ypc. I thought the defensive lineman had an appropriate amount of penetration against the run, but it was my HBs inability to make anyone miss that really shut me down.

16. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I had the same observation. We'll see what happens with the rest of these games then maybe bump it up.

17. PAgamer07

Michigan backs had a good day:

David Thomas 19-197
    Devin Gardner 10-76
    Austin White 6-43

18. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Let me preface this by saying I was playing Indiana and I switched to the LSU playbook before the game. My run game was not necessarily explosive as it was under the previous sliders but it was definitely effective. Thomas is a 97 OVR w/ 99 ACC and 86 SPD so he is not going to outrun a lot of defenders in the second or third level but he can hit a hole quickly. These sliders seem OK to me after the one game but we shall see how my game in Columbus goes.

19. GoGators

My thoughts after the Miami game:

1. CPU run blocking is very strong. They get a lot of pancakes and there were a handful of plays where the cpu ball carrier had a caravan of blockers 4+ leading him into my secondary. I think I'd like to see a -5/10 on cpu run blocking offset by a +5/10 cpu running back ability. This was one thing Shaun was adimant about and it was noticable in my game was with the cpu running back ability at 50 they don't use a lot of moves and their vision is pretty bad. For example on a couple of the plays where the cpu ball carrier had a caravan of blockers, he ran right into my safety rather than making it a big play. I know, Masler for instance hated how the cpu always broke the first tackle and everything but I think that's because the cpu rb ability was close to 100. I think 55 or 60 would be a pretty good spot for that.

2. User running back ability +5/10 to 45/50. Having this setting at 40 takes us back to our season 1/2 sliders where our HBs, mine at least, feels like he's running in sand. I like that the cpu makes some plays near the LOS defensively in a realistic manner, but when I do get that perfect play call with perfect blocking I should get a big play from my 99 HB w/99 speed. I shouldn't get run down when I get 8 yards past the LOS. Also, as others have pointed out, you really can't make any plays with your HB once your in the open field due to the handicap.

3. User pass coverage +5/10 to 50/55. This is maybe my most frustrating point. Pass coverage is the one thing you cannot impact during the game. You can only build a strong secondary through recruiting. I've done that, I have 4 stud CBs right now that should be able to lock most guys down in man coverage. That's not the case with this setting and I HATE IT! It's very unsim and frustrating IMO to have the cpu in 3rd and 15 and know that with the talent I have in my secondary I should be able to man up bring 5 and shut down the cpu. And this ABSOLUTELY NEVER WORKS! Guys are getting beat on ridiculous routes by far inferiorly talented WRs. Nothing in this game makes me want to throw my controller at the TV more than seeing my 99 overall CB continue running for 5 yards after the WR has made his break on a dig route.

Overall though I think these felt pretty good. In my first game the cpu really put some pressure on me before the game froze at 14 all going into half time. The restarted game got ugly for the cpu cause we got out to an early lead and that gave us all the momentum.

In both games though I was able to get some parts of the running game working from the spread. But as I noted in #2 above, I think you should be able to break a big run w/a talented back rather than getting run down all the time. The only thing that really makes me mad is #3. I think this is tunable though. I'd rather see good pass coverage from stud user CBs and maybe bump the CPU QB accuracy up one to keep things competitive.

20. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I would have to agree with this. I had Indiana on third and long several times for them to make a throw to a miraculously wide open receiver. THey were 80% on fourth downs and had a fourteen play drive that I was finally able to stop on the goalline.

21. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

It seems that when we have hard sliders people want them easier and when we have easier sliders people want them harder.. I just don't get it, this is why I pretty much stay out of these slider talks.. Can't win either way.

22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think the challenge is what most of us want but the problem is the games logic doesn't let us have it all. I am fine with either of the two slider sets we have used recently. The little annoyances I can overlook b/c we cant get away from them.

23. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I agree it seems that way, but to me the top priority is always a realistic feel to the game, based on player ratings. I want a fast player to be able to outrun a slower one, whether he's mine or the cpu's. I want a top flight offensive lineman to dominate a shitty d-lineman, again regardless if its mine or the cpu's. I absolutely do not want shitty cpu players jacked up or superior human players dumbed down.

The main problem with the cpu is the logic it uses to play. Why blitz every down? Why throw a bubble screen on 3rd and 17? Its hard to compensate for the lack of intelligent cpu play with performance sliders, IMO.

24. GoGators

I don't think I asked for anything to be easier. I want the game to be challenging, but most importantly I want there to be balanced and intelligent. That's where my thoughts come from.

I think the cpu has great run blocking right now but the back doesn't take advantage of it and the cpu could use a slight boost there.

I think it's difficult to understand why my 97 overall CB with 99 man cover skills can't cover a WR. He should be able to stick a WR. Now if the QB can find a way to squeeze the ball into a tight window I'm fine with that but I should not see a WR beating my stud CBs by 7 yards on a dig route in man coverage.

I'd rather see the CPU QB accuracy increased from 30 to 40/50 and my CBs actually given back their ability to cover people. I don't like when things get dumbed down in the game. The game already has enough stupid flaws as it is. Making guys play even dumber due to sliders just makes the game frustrating IMO. For example, the CPU QB accuracy slider effects more than just where the QB throws the ball. It also effects his awareness and decision making. It gets dropped to 30 because people hate the robo QB crap that happens. But what is the difference if it's at 30 or 50 when the CB can't cover the WR anyways? I'd rather see the CPU QB accuracy up at 45 or 50 with strong pass coverage from users to actually let the AI of the game have an effect on gameplay.

However, I think these redshirt sliders are a pretty good base. I'm only one guy with .02 so that's really all my opinion is worth.

25. PAgamer07

Personally I think we need a larger sample size before making any changes. We are in Week 11 over there and everyone seems pretty content with how they are working. With that said, if there are any changes, only do them in +5 increments, not +10. And Id recommend only changing one thing at a time. It's JC's call though, personally? Id leave them alone through bowl season.