Redshirting - Everyone Read (Murk)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by dharvey09, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Redshirting - Everyone Read (Murk)

I know there is no rule to redshirting

but... with that said the point of SIM football is to be realistic and redshirting highly rated SR and JR players is kinda silly which some users are doing.

I vote for next year to make a rule to only redshirt a certain ammount of players say 5-6 or something like that.

Discuss.

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

examples..?

I'm not aware of anyone who has done this. Regardless, I posted that I needed to know if there were any Seniors redshirted.

Everyone respond to this thread.

3. Huronia8

Huronia8 Walk On

I agree to an extent, I don't think there should be a rule against how many guys you can redshirt in a given year, however it is pretty unrealistic to red-shirt an upperclassmen... in real life if you slapped a redshirt on a player that was highly rated and not a freshman he'd likely be extremely angry and transfer in the offseason and immediately be eligble at his new program.

4. danielm025

danielm025 "Wreck 'em Tech!"

I'm with Huronia. I think it should be limited to freshman. Also another thing to add, the "will not redshirt" promise pitch. If we limit redshirts to freshman, that would probably keep it sim more than anything because honestly, how many people use that pitch and then redshirt them when they are a sophomore? Not sim in my book. Thoughts?

5. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

+1 on the only redshirting freshman
    even though most of the damage will be done after this year with alot of people redshirting tonnes of SO and some JRs but should be a good rule for the future.

6. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm not aware of any players above sophomore that I redshirted in year 1, but will check tonight. If I have any I will put them in my next game to remove the red shirt.

Regarding a rule, I would disagree with any rule prohibiting the number of redshirts to a set number. I also would disagree with a rule prohibiting the redshirting of sophomores. Sophomores get redshirted at big programs, especially if a new freshman comes in that is likely to reduce the soph's playing time that year. I would agree that redshirting juniors/seniors shouldn't happen.

7. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I think limiting redshirts to freshmen and sophmores is reasonable.

8. wader49

wader49 Walk On

i agree with the redshirting of only freshman and sophomores. doing it to seniors and juniors is just stupid and impracticle.

9. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I'm pretty sure I didn't redshirt any above a sophomore. Will double check though.

IF we are going to change things, I think it should be FR and SO as well as incoming JUCO's. Just my 2 cents IF we decide to change anything.

10. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Yeah JUCO is fine i agree because alot of JUCO come in and redshirt wether its accedemics or whatever reason.

11. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

My vote is Freshmen and Sophomores

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

My question is who redshirted a junior or senior?

13. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Lol my bad I just checked and it was me. I have a junior runningback who is my 3rd best back redshirted but I was about to pull the RS on him anyways because of a season ending injury to my starter. I also have one on a 75 OVR LE. I'll pull it off of him to but I really don't see a reason to considering he is actually my 5th best DE and if I never use him he'll be redshirted anyways.

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

alright, limit redshirts to freshman and sophomores..

15. Dru50

I appear to have redshirted a junior as well. He's my 3rd string SS who is rated a 75, which makes him the 6th rated safety on my team. I must have redshirted him due to the fact he'll never see the field this year and I have 3 seniors at the FS and SS positions. If it's truly an issue with everyone I'll put him in for a snap during the next garbage time I have in a game.

But to be honest, worrying about this is not as concerning as some issues I'm seeing in other dynasties regarding people obviously cheesing in CPU games (based on scores). I'm not seeing it in here yet, thankfully.

16. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Hopefully we won't see the cheesing in this dynasty at all.

Yeah about the redshirt issue you just gotta think of it in real life if a guy gets on the field his first year or 2 years and see's action and than randomly the 3rd year the coach decideds to not play him like Huronia8 said he would bolt for another program most likely or go D1aa. I just think everyone likes to play it realistically as possible that the fun in it.

and that safety not even that bad it is more so the 85+ rated guys where the issue is ex Allen Bailey and Dedrick Epps getting the redshirt.

17. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Ok, there is no rule on who you can and can't redshirt.

Don't be stupid with it..

If a guy is not going to play at all in a season, then redshirt him if you want..

At no point should you have obvious starters, or people who can contribute in back up roles redshirted..

Since not everyone responded, I'll waste my time going through all the depth charts to see what cases of this we have. This is not a pressing issue, and there are more important things to worry about, but at the same time I obviously need to look at it.

to be continued...

18. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

People who have someone redshirted that is 85+ overall..

Colorado - none
    Florida State - none
    Kansas State - none
    Maryland - 86 overall So HB Davin Meggett
    Miami - 90 overall Jr DT Allen Bailey, 88 overall So DT Marcus Fortson, 88 overall Craig Cooper, 87 overall So DE Marcus Robinson, 87 overall Sr TE Dedrick Epps, 87 overall So WR Laron Byrd, 85 overall Jr CB Demarcus Van Dyke, 85 overall So DE Andrew Smith, 84 overall Sr TE Richard Gordon, 84 overall Sr CB Ryan Hill, 84 overall So WR Davon Johnson (this is excessive, fix immediately)
    NC State - none
    Nebraska - 85 overall Jr K, but is behind an 88 overall Jr K (this is fine)
    North Carolina - 85 overall So DT
    Oklahoma St - none
    Texas - 85 overall Fr WR (fine because he is a Freshman)
    Texas A&M - none
    Virginia Tech - none

wow, SPatin...that is a bit excessive don't you think? Do you think Miami would sit some of those guys I have listed above? The answer is no.

19. SPatin

SPatin Walk On

I don't know that in the first year, its really "fair" to limit this. I have no control over who/what I have coming in and if the Seniors in one area are overwhelming, I stand to lose several "good" players without EVER having them contribute. For instance, I have four DTs who are 87 or above. But there is NO WAY that more than 3 of these guys will get hardly any playing time unless there is an injury! So it wouldn't make sense for me to NOT red-shirt at least one of those four. At tight end, I have 3 seniors who are 84, 84, and 87 respectively. Again, AT MOST, two of these guys contribute, and that depends entirely on the offensive strategy. One of them is changing positions next year (to FB) if he is still here. You also listed two CBs on my team who are "good," and a Junior and Sophomore, respectively. But they are #4-5 on my depth chart! Hill would have just sat on the bench and graduated. Now, he becomes a nickel back next year.

Also, I don't think I can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the number of red-shirts at this point in the season. I'm halfway through now and would basically just be losing time from these players when I could have been using them had this rule been implemented from the start!

Finally, just curious, but all I would have to do is NOT play one of these guys and he'll get red-shirted automatically anyway, won't he?

20. Huronia8

Huronia8 Walk On

true, however its extremely unrealistic that they would stay at your program. Once they walked into the coaches office and were told they were getting redshirted after 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) years on the field contributing the first thing most of these guys would say is "F**K YOU COACH, release me from my scholarship because i'am out of here".

A great example of a guy who I didn't redshirt because it would not be realistic is my true sophmore Center, a guy who is in the mid 80s but is behind a 5th year senior... There is no way i'd redshirt that guy because the experience he will gain from being my 6th or 7th oline far outweights the benefit of him having that extra year of eligability. This is why he gets time in the 2nd half of my games when they are out of reach because he is getting ready for next season.

21. SPatin

SPatin Walk On

But you're also taking into account "blow-outs" or chances for players to get in in the second half when the team has a fair lead. I've had one game where I got that opportunity so far.

And, as I said, my biggest complaint is just if we institute this NOW (halfway through the season). I don't mind removing a few of them. But I've already lost a FULL half-season from any of them that I do just based on the fact that we are NOW going to make this a rule. Had it been from the "get go" then OK. I would have NO complaint(s) really.

But again, there is no way for me to prevent a player from getting red-shirted if they aren't used, as the computer will probably do it automatically anyway.

And also, I have a feeling SOME of these players, not saying all, would understand the logic. For instance, my third-string senior TE who would be lucky to catch a single pass ALL year. He redshirts and returns as a starter. OR, my Sr. CB who is #5 on the depth chart - not play or come back and contribute?

And I'm curious, you said players "85+ overall" Murk, but you included three players who are only 84's...

22. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I'll gladly pull Meggett out if it will please the masses since he's over an 85...but...he WILL NOT get any reps because he has two even MORE legit JR HB's in front of him and therefore will just be redshirted by the CPU anywho :D

I hope all can sense the sarcasm lol

23. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

personally, I think these redshirt rules should start next season. No one did anything maliciously, we just didn't think of these rules before we started. I say no harm, no foul. Leave all the redshirts in place for 2009, change for 2010.

24. Dru50

Just to clarify regarding the UNC DT that I redshirted who was an 85 rated sophomore. My two starting DT's are rated a 90 and 88, and I have two seniors behind them rated 85 and 80. Generally, I like to play seniors who have stuck in the program unless there is an underclassman who is significantly better and would start. Rather than having the guy sit 5th on the depth chart, I decided to redshirt him.

I already discussed it with Murk and he was ok with it, but wanted to clear the air here.

I would agree with dakota that it might be best to wait until the offseason to implement any rule, but honestly enforcing any such rule would be very hard since in this years game if you just choose not to ever play a guy the CPU slaps a redshirt on him at the end of the year for you anyway.

25. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

There doesn't really need to be a rule. I've never seen someone redshirt a fourth of their team. Just keep it realistic, a lot of those guys are starters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.