Redshirting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jan 26, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Wow.....I was just going through some of the rosters trying to figure about where I stand as a team and something jumped out to me. All of us have around 10+ guys that are playing as true upperclassmen, jello1717 ASU having the most with only like 18 guys on the entire roster redshirted. However, at the other end of the spectrum is Wisconsin. Not counting new freshman (I'm looking on DW and I'm just assuming all the new freshman on the squad are redshirted since they didn't crack the two deep) Wisconsin only has 1 player on the entire roster not redshirted.

That's incredible. I'm not calling cheese, I'm actually impressed at the amazing job that dakota7 has done in compiling talent and maintaining depth. Sadly it makes me wonder if I should just hang up the controller for this year since there's no way in hell my team will ever approach that talent level :eek:

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I've been lucky, I had a couple guys from my first recruiting class that I had to play right away, but for the most part I've been recruiting for my needs a couple of years down the road.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

As I've said before, I'd LOVE to be in the situation that dakota7 is currently in. I think he's there because he started out as a :5stars: while I started as a :3stars:. The 2nd season I rose to a :4stars: while he fell to a :4stars: and we've been the prestige ever since, but that first year of :5stars: recruiting is what has allowed him to RS everyone. For me, on the other hand, I started with a roster that had 23 SRs on it so I had to fill a lot of my 2 deep right away and I had to do this with :3stars: recruits. But then, the next year, my :4stars: recruits were better than my :3stars: guys and so on and so forth so my true FR have always had to play. Hell, last year I started 3 true FR LBs, despite the fact that I had 6 JRs and SRs on my team. Hell, take a look at my HBs:

[​IMG]

My SRs are 92, 88, 83. My JR will likely be a 95 as a SR. My SO will be an about a 91 as a JR (which is better than 2 of my guys as SRs) and, if he sticks around, would be about a 96 as a true SR.

Also, I've purposely NOT redshirted guys from my earlier recruiting classes since they sucked so bad and would never see the playing field (SR HB C. Taylor above is a perfect example). Most of my earlier classes, as they were getting surpassed by my later classes have never been redshirted so that I could get them the hell off my team as quickly as possible. Since we can only cut 1 guy per year, this means ensuring that they get at least 1 stat so that they never redshirt and will be off my team in 4 years instead of 5. Heh. Just take a look at ole Charles Taylor's illustrious career at tailback for the Devils:

[​IMG]

(And that reminds me that I need to get him a carry this year before it's too late)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Get Charles a mutha fuckin touchdown!! That guy has paid his dues!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Truth