Redshirts Recruit of the Year

Discussion in 'The Redshirts' started by schreck822, Aug 8, 2013.

1. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

redshirtsv1.png

Alright, wanted to get this up again for our new season. As with the last attempt at this, I will be tracking the top rated recruits users are after. The Recruit of the Year won't necessarily be the highest OVR guy, it will be the one that will essentially be the most valuable player and make the biggest impact on the dynasty going forward.

I'll be throwing up some guys that have either signed or users are currently fighting for that are in the running for this. Feel free to throw out some nominations if you've seen somebody that might fit the bill.

As time goes on, I will be tracking each winner's careers in the tabs to see if we picked wisely, then point out the busts and guys that we missed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

3. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Here's a quick preview of the guys in the running at the season's midpoint. When I get time later, I'll try to throw up some guys further down the rankings that could surprise. Again, please feel free to jump in anytime with guys you think should be in the running. If one of these is your guy, and you have him scouted, please throw up the image of their ratings to help us all get an idea of how good they really are.

Up first is Utah, with 5 star QB Marshall Bryant. He's the #3 OVR recruit and #1 QB. This guy fell into their lap, being a Utahian. There are a lot of rumblings out there that this guy may be highly overrated though, and his 82 OVR is possibly a mirage. We'll have to wait and see, but if this guy pans out he could be a gamechanger for Utah.

Marshall QB Utah.PNG

This next guy appears to be a long shot for both Utah and Washington, as LSU has a big lead at the moment. For some reason, LSU has yet to offer, so Kyle and Josh must think they still have a shot. Don't blame them, this guy looks like he'll be a ridiculously athletic QB. He's the #5 recruit, but looks like he'll be a monster. Somebody is going to be sad when he signs.
    Cade ATH Utah Wash.PNG

Our next guy up is an Illinois athlete being chased by Northwestern. Dan Wheeler is a 6'6" 231 pound freak of nature. I had to throw his skills up, because this monster has 90 spd/91 acc to go with his size, and he could be an unstoppable WR in the Calvin Johnson mold, a nasty Safety or even an LB. We're currently trailing Clemson, but had a huge visit weekend this week so are hoping that was enough to jump them, and ideally get him to commit. If he doesn't commit, it will be hard to keep him away from Clemson with their week 12 visit around the corner.
    Wheeler ATH NW.PNG Wheeler Skills.PNG

Next up is 5* Eric Burton who is being chased by Maryland and Iowa. Both are behind ND pretty far right now, but still appear to be holding out hope. He's a pure pocket passer and could be a stud for either one.

Burton QB Iowa MD.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  4. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Awesome job on this man. What the fuck is @SuperBowlNachos going to do with a QB? He doesnt throw the ball...

• Like Like x 2
  5. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I'll let you have him for a bag of skittles.

I should have gone after that ATH from day 1. I figured LSU had him locked. Can't just let Washington have him for free now!

6. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

If Burton just leaves Notre Dame without committing this week, I think I've got a decent shot at him. That should allow me to drag it out into the offseason and hope to get lucky.

7. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Northwestern makes a big splash with the signing of Daniel Wheeler, going to be really hard for anybody to top him. He's not only a 5*, he's a huge get for NW and should be an impact player right from the beginning. Everybody will be chasing him from here on out.

8. PAgamer07

Lame... Nobody worth a damn wants to play for Purdue. I think Im gonna have to work harder

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Ditto

10. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

The Redshirts

Here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for, the inaugural Redshirts Recruit of the Year! It was a tight field, but in the end the choice was easy. This guy goes to a team with great need at his position. Sure others may be rated better (by a lot), others may be prettier (it's totally subjective), some may even get more playing time (show offs), but this guy, just damn.

upload_2013-8-23_10-3-19.png

Congrats coach Top Gun, you have outdone yourself with this guy, and proven beyond a doubt that your "ratings don't matter" mantra isn't just talk. If he keeps reeling guys like this in, the rest of us better watch out.

iceman-bite.gif

• Like Like x 2
  11. PAgamer07

Hahaha.

Hahahaha.

Love the iceman gif

• Like Like x 1
  12. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Real winner on the way, but reviewing freshmen classes and came across that guy, couldn't resist.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PAgamer07

That's not very sim. Im betting he is just trying to hold onto that California pipeline. Tisk, Tisk maverickfp

14. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

He's going to let you know that he has about 15 Cali bois, and that you hate him :whistle:.

15. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

So this is a little embarrassing, but after careful review, the winner of this award really came down to 2 players, both of whom are at Northwestern. As a completely unbiased, impartial, benevolent ruler of this piece of content, you can rest assured that I have pored over every detail and come to the winner in the most respectful and accurate manner possible. A few notes to clarify the selection. Overall rating was a key component, players that were redshirted were almost eliminated from the discussion by default, and most immediate and long term impact were taken into account. Now, with that politically correct trash out of the way, here are the two that it comes down to, you are free to disagree, but you will be wrong:

upload_2013-8-23_10-20-25.png upload_2013-8-23_10-20-58.png

These guys are both unquestionably studs. Wheeler was a 5* Athlete that could have been a beast WR or Safety. He has gone on to become a 78 OVR WR, and at 6'6 with over 90 spd and acc, he will be a ridiculous force in my passing game. He's an understudy for this year, but will fill Prater's big loss next year and there shouldn't be much of a drop off at all as he is bigger and faster. He is starting as our Kick and Punt returner already and has been very solid there so far.

John Turner was a 4 star 81 OVR OLB, who we were in a tight battle with Utah for right through the offseason. Our biggest need was at MLB, so upon his signing he accepted the position switch, and is our starting MLB as an 80 OVR in the 3-4 alignment. So far he has rarely come off the field, as his great coverage and tackling skills are off the charts for a freshmen. His 81 spd isn't elite, but he's so quick and fundamentally sound that he more than makes up for it. If he doesn't leave early he will be a 4 year starter and anchor our D for years.

This is an incredibly difficult decision, as both players are making an early impact and will be even better in the next few years. All that said, there can be only 1 winner, and we have to go with Turner. Wheeler will likely go on to do amazing things and put up Prater-like numbers for our pass happy offense, but Turner is already a key starter and will help to reshape NW in the defensive image preferred by Coach Schreck. He was also a big recruiting coup in beating a fellow user for his talents. Congratulations to myself and thank you all very much for allowing me to walk away with this award.

award.gif

Attached Files:

16. PAgamer07

Rigged.

Did you perchance happen to see anyone redshirted that could be #2 on the depth chart? Id love to lay some sanction smackdown on someone The Redshirts

17. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Y u so mean

18. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Oooh, good question, did not look for that. To be honest, most of the freshmen were not very good, 76 OVR looked to be about as good as I saw, most redshirts were much lower than that. Can double check easy enough though.

19. PAgamer07

Nice work by the way on those recruits. I really hope I gave you a difficult schedule this year. Can't be having you go to a 6*

20. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Condescending-Willy-Wonka-Gifrific.gif

21. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

I did ask for Texas A&M somewhere along the line, really would have liked to play Manziel. If he's still here next season, I want to slam him.

22. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

PAgamer07

Give him bama after you play them (y)

23. PAgamer07

My team is nowhere near as talented as yours. You need to get over it. You finished #2 in the country. Youre going to play tough schools. Not sure why you keep beating the dead horse, but this is the way its always been. You win a lot and your team is talented, you get a tougher schedule the following year.

You suck and your team sucks, an easier schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

No we know why PA lost all them games in a row, easier schedule.

:ROFLMAO:

25. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

so we do have a reason to tank in Redshirts........ I like your style Nachos