Reflections on the Cycle

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, May 21, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

recchem2000
    whygodwhy1111
    Jayrah
    Boom29
    SatansAngel1104
    MexiRican35
    Kapono
    Cheez
    Dru50
    gowazzucougs

So, we had a solid group of 11 guys for a handful of seasons with a revolving door for our 12th. We have lasted the cycle while many dynasties including the venerable T1 and Deuce have fallen off. I am curious about everyone's thoughts on the game cycle for us. I'll pose a handful of questions, answer them all, or some, or none. Also, when I say I want your thoughts I am not looking for how much you hated the game, more a reflection of how you felt about the guys here and our OD in general. These questions are meant to be just something to get us all thinking, feel free to talk about whatever is on your mind about our After Midnight NCAA 13 experience.

How did you expect to do in terms of competitiveness and how does that compare to how you actually did?

What was your greatest strength as a player?

What was your biggest weakness?

How did the other guys here impact your gameplay, recruiting, and overall approach?

What do you think is the one thing that you could improve that would get you "over the hump" in user games?

What was your most memorable game this cycle?

If there is one thing another guy does well that you could incorporate into your own game, what would it be?

Did you feel like your gameplan, skill level, etc evolved over the course of the cycle or do you have basically the same approach you had when you started?

What were the biggest surprises for you this cycle with regards to results, other members, etc?

2. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

How did you expect to do in terms of competitiveness and how does that compare to how you actually did?
    I expected to be highly competitive and win more than I lost. I had never played WGW or Dru but they were both supposed to be really good, Kapono owned me in NCAA '12 and I believe I was 0-2 in '12 vs cheez. I did better that I thought, by about season 4 I felt that I was the second best player in the OD and that continued to the end of the cycle. My overall user record was much better than I thought it would be.

I feel like more than anything I am a clever playcaller on offense. There are times where I know I have caught guys completely by surprise. I think I do a good job of seeming just predictible enough that you start to think you know what is coming and then I hit you with something else.

Not enough balance on defense. I feel like I mostly was either blitzing everyone or rushing 2 or 3. As a result I feel like it was probably pretty easy to tell what I was doing on defense at any given time, though I have recruited well enough that it bails me out.

How did the other guys here impact your gameplay, recruiting, and overall approach?
    Getting beat over and over again by WGW made me so much better. I was able to see how he was beating my blitz or my man or my zone and incorporate those same tactics into my game. On the recruiting trail I changed things up a bit when he had a dominating power back and then had slow receivers who could still kill you deep. To sum it up, he showed me that you could win in so many different ways and I was able to adapt my gameplanning around my strengths better as a result rather than being ineffective if I didnt have the right types of players on the roster.

What do you think is the one thing that you could improve that would get you "over the hump" in user games?
    I think I had enough success not to dwell on this one. Eliminating errors jumps out. In games where I had zero or 1 turnover and limited sacks and such I was really tough to beat and when I did lose it was close enough that I had a chance to win late.

There were some really great ones. WGW and I had a number of close battles, he beat me on last second FGs more times than I can count. The one game that really sticks though is season 3 vs TAMU and Jayrah. He had beaten me in seasons 1 and 2 and he was kicking my ass in our third go around. Then in the second half I started trying some new stuff on defense and being really aggressive. He must have taken about 10 or 12 sacks in the second half as I mounted a huge comeback and his O-line just gave up. He hasn't beaten me since (yet).

If there is one thing another guy does well that you could incorporate into your own game, what would it be?
    There is a long list of things guys do well so I will just jump out with a couple. Mexi and Kapono are money in user defense with the LB. They almost always make the right play, avoid the block, shoot the gap, etc. I feel like I have to rely more on playcalling and less on the stick. On the other side of the ball it has to be WGW and his user catching. I have tried and failed to get it down consistently while he just seems to catch balls in triple coverage like it is just routine.

Did you feel like your gameplan, skill level, etc evolved over the course of the cycle or do you have basically the same approach you had when you started?
    Yes, particularly on offense. I have had monster passing seasons and monster running seasons, I went from the spread option to an air raid to a single back almost pro style attack. I became much tougher to stop as the cycle went on and I feel like I am a much better player than I was in season 1.

What were the biggest surprises for you this cycle with regards to results, other members, etc?
    Cheez and Kapono. I expected those guys to be beasts in the SEC East when we started this thing off. In fact, when we picked teams, Georgia was sitting there and I was going back and forth between them and Mizzou. The clincher for going to Mizzou was that I figured I would have either WGW or Dru in the west with Mizzou while if I took UGA I would have to play Cheez and Kapono every season and I felt like I would have a much tougher time getting to the SEC title game in that setup. Obviously, both turned out to be more beatable than I had anticipated, while WGW was basically unbeatable.

All in all I felt like we had a really good run. This is a good group of guys. We dont have a bunch of whiners or complainers, everyone is accommodating, funny, and has good sportsmanship..... except Jayrah..... he uses magic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

I wasn't real sure how I'd do. This was my second year on the game and with a totally new group of guys I just wanted to be competitive. I think I did that and with the exception of one foe, most games were fun and competitive.

Mixing it up on defence.

"Babying" out when my team played shitty. Mizz knows this best. I generally lasted a whole 4 minutes.
    User controling defenders.

I tried to stick to the identity of the team regardless who I played. I tried to learn each user's tendencies. Made for a nice chess match.

Not having Mizz on my schedule.

One that still sticks out was that first game winning TD in HUGE traffic vs Miami with my third string TE who became the all everything receiver for UF

Anyone who plays the travelling Linebacker really well.

I got better by years end on defence.

4. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I'll try to get something up tonight after work.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Slow day so I'll participate.....

I felt like I did well in my limited time in the league (3 seasons I think), if whygodwhy1111 weren't in the league I'd likely have won 2 titles. I usually expect to compete well enough, but getting lucky enough to get Georgia instead of say Tennessee helped.

Probably recruiting. Like I said, having Georgia helped, but I actually found about 4-5 guys a year in those first 3 seasons that were :3stars: gems that filled the roster. I was a disaster on the sticks (as usual) and my inability to make user hit stick big hits and INT's cost me nearly every time I played WGW.

Whoops - answered that above. Being old, that's my weakness, right recchem2000?

I don't think they really did, I usually try in any game to adapt my gameplan to the players I have. That said, having Cheez as a rivalry game for 3 years was fun, as usual. I do wish I gotten the chance to play Wyrmreaver once for real, as the only time we played was in the pre-season TSO tourney.

Not being old, or just finding a way to steal some of WGW's ability to user the shit out of players in the game.

Probably the 2nd title game loss to WGW, which I think was the 3rd time we played. If memory serves, we disconnected in the late 3rd and it had been a real back and forth affair with a ton of big play scores each way. I think that game was my shot at a W, and when it disconnected, that's all she wrote.

I'd like to be able to cheese with the 3-3-5 like Neal does. :D

Not really applicable for me. If they actually re-vamp the game I'd love to give it another shot with this group though.

I was really happy to see some of the new blood we added in 2013 ( SatansAngel1104, Wyrmreaver, Boom29, etc) stuck in here with the old guard. Glad to see that you guys kept this thing rolling.

6. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I did better than expected, last year @Cheese and @Dru plus a few other users beat up on me pretty good at times. This year I had more success against those 2 than I expected. I may have spent a little too much time practicing this year.

I probably tested out every play/route combination in the game which really helped me mix things up when players grew wise to my ways. While playing against the computer I really pushed myself to master high pointing passes infront of the DBs. This is probably the most useful skill in the game.

I tended to panic when playing slower paced teams. Trying to maximize possessions by focusing too much on quantity of plays and not quality of plays call, got me in trouble.

Wyrmreaver and I are in a constant state of presnap mind games and frantic player switching to add more qb spies. I feel like I should list out all my presnap reads.

Watching gowazzucougs have a 98 yard go ahead with 20 seconds remaining TD called back Holding.

@Jarah uncanny FG blocking ability

Use to think speed was the best WR attribute, slower with height, hands, spc, CIT, jump can be more valuable.

@Cheese man DOWN! Never thought i'd see the day

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Dont remember. It's been too long since I played.

Passing the football.

Kicking Field Goals.

The 3-3-5 is a bitch.

Playing recchem2000 every week.

Didn't really have any, apparently, since I dont remember playing much.

Dru50 recruits linebackers well.

I am ahead of the curve on offense. Dare I say, trendsetter?

Wasn't around long enough to pay attention

• Like Like x 1
  8. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

whygodwhy1111

Watching gowazzucougs have a 98 yard go ahead with 20 seconds remaining TD called back Holding.

Thanks, for the love. I had numerous victories taken away from me, either by my own dumb mistakes, see any of recchem2000 victories. MexiRican35 and I had a couple of epic contests, I think the last one, was a very devastating defeat. But your defeat was a devastating loss for the program. I mean how does somehow get called for holding on that play, when clearly there was late hit on the QB.

9. Cheez

Cougs is back, everybody!

Maybe he is Zach's surprise for the last season!!!

10. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I am not back, I am just checking something out.

11. Cheez

:(

12. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

If gowazzucougs comes back, so will Cheez and I.

Make it happen Mr. Worgum, make it happen.

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Nobody forced you to run play action out of your own end zone :)

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

It will happen. If I have to drive to Washington in July to make it happen I will

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

How did you expect to do in terms of competitiveness and how does that compare to how you actually did? I would say I performed as expected. The goal coming into the cycle was to not be an easy out, and I think I accomplished that. I won some games I should have lost, and lost some that I should have won. The best example I can give of this is that I beat both WGW and Wyrm in the same season…and still finished with four losses.

What was your greatest strength as a player? I don’t know that I have a particular strength as a player. I like to think that I remain true to my offensive/defensive philosophies and provide just enough wrinkles to keep it interested year-to-year.

What was your biggest weakness? On a macro level, it would b e a lack of consistency. I don’t seem to be able to maintain my level of play from game to game, in a large part due to turning the ball over. I am also at times too quick to abandon my game plan when falling behind early.

How did the other guys here impact your gameplay, recruiting, and overall approach? We were all recruiting to catch up to WGW at first, and outside of Wyrm, I don’t think any of us really got there. Gameplay wise, from playing Nickel as my base defense against Florida to trying to ball control my way to victory against Missouri a few times, I knew I had to vary my play calling for certain users more than others, and this kept it interesting.

What do you think is the one thing that you could improve that would get you "over the hump" in user games? I’m sure this would apply to most of us, but limiting turnovers. It’s not so much that I would absolutely win if I didn’t commit any, but that I would at least put me in a better position to win more games. I also think that I would be helped a bit by User-switching on defense, but I just like to control one player the entire play.

What was your most memorable game this cycle? Beating Arkansas for the first time comes to mind. I was so nervous the entire game, especially the final drive. Even whygodwhy1111 thought I had gone into “serious” mode because I had (accidentally) turned off my mic. Also, the first three times I played Florida; I lost all three games, all in unbelievable fashion. I don’t quite remember the order, but in one game my MLB gets called for PI on a Hail Mary, giving him a second change and he converts the second Hail Mary to his triple-covered TE. In another game, my HB picks up a first down inside his 5 that basically ended the game for all intensive purposes, but gets hit and fumbles. His DB returns the fumble for a TD to give him the lead with a mere five second left. The third game, his TE again found the end zone on the last play of the game.

If there is one thing another guy does well that you could incorporate into your own game, what would it be? I like the way Jayrah mixes his defense and will “show” blitz even if he’s not blitzing. I’m too afraid to get beat deep to commit to showing blitz more often.

Did you feel like your gameplan, skill level, etc evolved over the course of the cycle or do you have basically the same approach you had when you started? My game planning continues to evolve, but I don’t think I’ve changed much in terms of skill. I’ll still lose winnable games and win the occasional game I’m not expected to win. The approach remains the same; it’s a matter of remaining consistent both in terms of my play and in terms of the philosophy.

What were the biggest surprises for you this cycle with regards to results, other members, etc? No real surprises. I figured WGW and Wyrm (once Dru left) would eventually battle it out at the top.

Other comments... It was a bit disappointing we didn’t have a full league after the first couple seasons. It would have been interesting to see how the league would have progressed if full, especially the impact on recruiting. Also, we were light on content, even at the beginning of the cycle.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  16. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I still remember that.

17. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

This was my first year in a premier league. I had played against most guys, except for dru. I know wgw and wyrm would be the guys to beat from the get go. I was able to beat wgw in year 2, but not since.

My passing game improved tremendously through the year. I think it helped that in my offline dynasty I was running an air raid offense. Since then I've been able to read coverages better, thus limiting sacks.

Wyrm said that it was usering the LB, but I sometimes got burned with them. Over-pursuing is something I needed to get better at.

When wgw goes to user his DE, I put in a formation just for this. It's an empty set with 4 WR's and a TE. I would always have the TE block, and this greatly helped, especially when trying to mount a 4th quarter comeback. Recruiting wise, I really just tried to find the 3 star gems, which I had great success at doing. That, and finding guys late that no one was recruiting. Dru was tremendous at recruiting, as was wgw and wyrm. Once those guys had a beat on a guy, I would start to look elsewhere.

3rd down conversions. When I had my 10/11 game user losing streak, it was because I couldn't convert on 3rd. That, and dropped interceptions. That was mainly the cpu's fault :mad: but I need to get better at switching to where I control the guy attempting to make a pick. One year I had like 40 interceptions. I'm lucky if I have 10 since.

Beating Cheez with a last second 55 yard FG.
    Oh wait, this cycle. Almost coming back from 26 down to beat wgw. Probably also beating wgw (its been so long tho I forgot how the game went).

Kapono and how he users the MLB.

I basically stayed with the one back from year 4 on. I just feel comfortable with it.

recchem2000 I thought I would make him pay for skipping over LSU. It was actually probably an even series. I think playing buzzed helps him play better

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. Cheez

fixed it for ya

19. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Still won,

20. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I did a pretty good job comparably, more often then not I thought I was a top 3 or 4 guy in the league. However I still feel like if Kapono or Dru50 are playing that puts me in a race for 5th (at the highest), which puts me right in the middle tier. What I really like is that I am competitive in most of my user games outside of a few blowouts by @ whygodwhy1111 and Wyrmreaver

Play calling balance and bluffing on defense. I know I catch guys not seeing my play call in the pre-snap at times and come away with a lot of interceptions or sacks because of it.

Panicking. Whether it was getting rushed or falling behind, I occassionally come totally out of my gameplan and find myself suddenly down by 3 touchdowns.

Recruiting took a different turn for me this year. I recruited more to what I needed/wanted, as opposed to trying to swing for the fences. In a way my team was more the result of the farm system and I didn't really find very many freshmen starters. A couple Qbs and a couple Wr's are what I remember for impact freshmen. My gameplay has dramatically improved, I'd say thanks to all these guys. The different styles that everyone uses is really enjoyable and has helped me adapt in a variety of ways.

Tackling in the open field & closing games. I had won 6 or 7 games over the course of the cycle and just flat found a way to lose them. In probably 10-15 more I had a chance to win but couldn't get it done.

I can honestly say the one I remember most is the loss in year 1 to whygodwhy1111. I blew it on the last play of the game by calling man instead of prevent. He then brought back the horrible memories by doing it in the National Championship game 2 seasons ago in the 4th quarter. SMH.

I also remember several games from every other player still in the league though. I've had probably 10 OTs between MexiRican35 and recchem2000 (and the loss to Rec when I had my shot at a Conference Championship game has stung me, especially that it was a pretty thorough beat down by possibly his worst team this cycle). I've beaten SatansAngel1104 and Boom29 on a few late drives and taken Wyrmreaver to the wire a couple times since beating him in years 1 and 2.

LB play.

Skill level has evolved due to necessity :D. Gameplan has stayed much the same, though that's expanded, almost to a fault at points.

How much turnover we had as a group. Really thought at least 9 or 10 of the 12 would still be around at this point when we started this thing. The game really is pretty good and we still have guys that don't play participate in the discussions. Kinda baffling but I think people just get bored (which is something I have a hard time doing).

My truly biggest surprise for myself is that I've gone 2-24 vs Wyrm and Whygod and never made a championship.

And then finally, there really aren't any weak players left. You could lose to anyone here an a given game because they are balanced and efficient players. It's a fun group.

21. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I did what I came here to do...beat gowazzucougs. Unfortunately he had to leave us so it was bittersweet. Realistically I feel like I can play with just about anyone. However this cycle I couldn't touch Neal or WGW. I think I had one or two close games with them each. The rest were complete blow outs. So that was disappointing. However I think against everyone else it was a split or close to it. Can't ask for much more than that really. Im old and my stick skills lack. I over pursue and whiff constantly trying to use the MLB but I continue to do it.

I don't think I have one. I just show up for my user games and hope for the best. I have a plan for user games. Sometimes it works and sometimes the plan gets chucked out the window. Im a good buzzed player as MexiRican35 said. Im a terrible drunk player as Cheez can attest to that!

Stick skills. I can't user catch, don't think I've ever tried. If I try for a user pick I usually screw it up and end up giving up a big play. I don't read defenses all that well. I constantly miss open receivers just because I don't see them. Im sure I am the guy that everyone here thinks they should beat :D

Recruiting...big time. It took me awhile to learn not to battle for recruits with the likes of Georgia (when Dru50 was here), Arkansas and Missouri. The first few seasons I spent too much time doing that and lost out on other recruits in the process. Lesson learned! Gameplay wise I tried to learn from what the rest of you punks were doing. I switched up my normal pro-style to spread a few season and even some air raid. But it didn't feel right. So im back to my old ways running the pro-style im accustomed too. Can't teach an old new tricks I suppose.

Turnovers...easy. I don't think I ever gave away a close game but I was blown out of plenty by chucking the rock to wrong team. Like everyone else, If I limit my turnovers im usually in the game down to the wire...except against Arky or Mizzu.

A few come to mind. I think it was season one when Jayrah blew a huge lead against me. Had a crazy game against SatansAngel1104 where I fumbled the ball with seconds left and he returned it for the go ahead TD only to lose the game when I returned the kick for a game winning TD. But my most memorable games were against gowazzucougs. He always seemed to find a way to foul it up in the 4th quarter against me. I don't know what that was but it inevitably happened. Whether it was taking a safety on a play action pass out of his own endzone or just throwing a pick late in the 4th that sealed the game. It was always fun and always close.

My skill level didn't change. My team got better which helped. With most of you guys our games usually came down to the wire. So it was usually a mistake by me or by my opponent that won or lost the game.

How good WGW was. 7 loses through 12 seasons is insane! That cheez, cougs and dru all left early on :(. Boom beating WGW and Neal in the same season and not making the CCG. Jayrah whining about CPU ranking logic ;) Bill staying up until 2am every night to play us west coasters. Mexi proving that my Tigers were as good as his. That a freaking 12th member was impossible to keep. Living vicariously through our youngest member Kapono (anybody heard from him?) And last but not least Neal's 3-3-5. I love to hate that defense!

A note on content...I know we slacked a bit, especially down the stretch. However, im from Dru50 school on this topic. If guys are checking in and posting and were talking about anything, that's content to me. A stupid thread that rambles on about chicken enchiladas or Cheez terrible QB play is content enough for me. You also have to keep in mind that we lost 3 of our core group early this cycle so that had a big effect on our content. However I love our group and I hope those 3 come back for 14. But if they don't im sure we'll have another great group and plenty of good content to go with it. Whether its about our recruiting class or what everyone had for dinner :)

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  22. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Forgot this one

Easy. Jayrah 's magic (y)

23. Cheez

To everyone in this league: If you want me here - find me a job!!!

24. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Wouldn't you have more time to play if you are unemployed? Finding you a job seems counter-intuitive.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Cheez

I cant get the game if I have no money.