Regular Season Week 1 San Diego Chargers vs. Oakland Raiders

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Kidofcrash23, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Raiders Out of the Gates Fast Thumping Chargers 48 -24

[​IMG]

In this week 1 match-up between long-time division rivals, the San Diego Chargers met the Oakland Raiders in Oakland in a rainy monday night showdown in September. The Raiders coming off a transition period in the off-season installing a new offense/defense and a whole new philosphy and regime, Raiders look to take everything they put together and show it in this divisional game. For the Chargers, they look to build upon another dissapoiting season last year after missing the playoffs and an off year for Rivers.

It did not take long for the Raiders to put things together in the 1st quarter as they jumped out of the games with a 17-7 lead over the chargers early. After stopping the Chargers on their first possession, the Raiders take their first offensive possession and drive down the field through the running of Mcfadden and the arm of Palmer. The long-drive ended with Palmer hitting newly acquired Shockey for the 1st TD of the year putting the Raiders up early. The Chargers answered leaning behind Ryan Matthews who broke two huge runs on their next possession finishing off with a 40 yard scamper to tie the game. The Chargers looked to answer, but Huff picked off a pass by Rivers and takes in for the score. Rivers threw 6 picks total in the game and Huff picked off three balls and returned one for a TD. Huff did go down with a disclocated elbow late in the game and may be out a few weeks.

Going into halftime the score was close at 20-10 and that is when everything went downhill for the Chargers. Jacoby Ford who returned a kick off return and a punt return for scores in the preseason struck again took the opening 2nd half kickoff for a 100 yard TD return. It did not stop there, the Raiders followed-up with a 60 yard bomb form Palmer to DHB which was then followed-up by a DVD interception return for a TD. Of the 6 interceptions Rivers threw, 3 of them were returned for Tds.

For the Chargers, the offense struggled to get going throughout the game with the exception of Ryan Matthews who finished with 160 yards rushing, but turnovers and not being able to get into the endzone resulted in a huge lead built by the Raiders.

On the other side, Palmer played great with 3 TDs throwing for 210 yards passing and hitting DHB on two TDs bombs in the game. DHB had 6 grabs for 161 yards and 2 TDs.

2. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Back to the drawing board for the Chargers....especially the passing game! Rivers was awful today and head coach Danny Ski is blaming it on the rain. You have to have a short memory in the NFL and Rivers will have to utilize that skill to get over a 6 interception week 1 against a division rival. Is there an upgrading trait for short memory because if there is I will use all of Rivers experience points up to this point on that trait!

Matthews ran the ball well amassing over 160 yards but we had to abandon the run early because of multiple pick 6's and a kickoff return that really took the wind out of the sails for the Chargers.

Considering the preseason stat line for the Head Coach of the Raiders the Chargers are pleased with "somewhat" containing the running game and not giving up any huge runs from McFadden. The only long run came at the end of the first half when the chargers were in prevent defense. Other than that the Raiders ran a lot since they were ahead but the Chargers were able to keep it from getting out of hand on the ground. This does not mean that they shut down the run because McFadden still had a nice day with over a hundred yards rushing and 5 ypc.

Carson Palmer had a solid game and was nearly perfect. In the preseason the Chargers were able to get to the QB as well as force turnovers but not today.

Great game Kidofcrash23. I am looking to hit the practice field and get really comfortable with the playbook to limit my sloppy passing game so that I can keep myself in the game the next time we play.

3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I cant help but thinking about Milli Vanilli when reading this.

• Like Like x 1