Reminder: Gameplan and Adjustments

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jul 17, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Unless someone can research and come up with a compelling reason to start including these features in the game, we still require all coaches to NOT use any gameplan or adjustments (pass/run commit, etc) aside from the occasional chew-clock (conservative time management) feature when up big in the 4th quarter.

Thanks.

2. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Define "up big" in the 4th qtr? What exactly does that look like and how does one get there?

• Like Like x 1
  3. vatechhokie01

defintion: the 4th quarter when I'm playing Mormon. I will use it then.

4. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Ok....if you would said that first, it would have made complete sense

5. TJM

TJM Walk On

You do not mean chewing clock up on a game winning drive so you do not give the ball over to soon to the offense for them to score?

6. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Bulletin board material. Im not pulling the dogs off at any point when we make our trip to Vegas in a few weeks!

7. vatechhokie01

i dont expect you to. when im up 28-0.... im gonna make it 35-0 with 30 seconds left.

8. vatechhokie01

and no... i do not mean that. sim-style in everything we do.

9. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

I think it should be the other way around. Why SHOULDN'T we use the game planning? The rules are the rules and if they are not allowed, I wouldn't use them. But I think someone should put why this feature is NOT sim. But I'll give my reasons why I think it is good.

I think that it gives us a little more strategy in the game. I would assume coaches use this in real life. Here are a few examples. If OSU has Terrelle Pryor in the backfield, the coach might say, "focus on Pryor on the option, don't fall for all the fake pitches." This would help out your team. It's all risk-reward. I'll put a couple examples on what I usually change to either conservative/aggressive.

pass rush- aggressive : I would like more of a pass rush with my team so I always put this to aggressive. One way to (easily) counter this is to fake hike the ball sometimes. I have a perfect example from last game @ Kansas St......Near the end of the game KSU was up and had the ball late in the 4th. I still had this on aggressive and a couple of times Kansas St. fake-hiked the ball and I was called offsides. I was forced to change this back to balanced and (of course) it didn't happen again, (but my pass rush wasn't the same).

Tackling/big hits - Conservative : This is another "play how you like" option. If you have it set on aggressive, you risk a lot more broken tackles, but more fumbles. I just like the sure tackle though.

I just think the gameplanning adds a little strategy and don't see how it can be viewed as "cheesing." I think cheese or something not sim would be something that you can't really defend against, and the gameplanning is all risk/reward.

But let me know what you guys think too and why we SHOULDN'T use it. PEACE!! Go KENT!

10. vatechhokie01

historically, we havent used it cuz, although its "strategy," the actual effect is a somewhat tecmo-bowl-like (sorry if you are too young for this) advantage: meaning, if you "pick" run or pass then the defensive AI is given such an unbeilevably unrealistic advantage that the offensive play has no chance. it should be a tad of a help... not a certain success on the part of the defense. another way to look at it is one of EA's many gimmicks that sounds nice but is silly.

but either way you like it, it is right there in the league rules and should be questioned before used. so everyone please read.

11. vatechhokie01

edited note: apparently, and now, i remember removing the blatant "NO GAMEPLANNING RULE" so forgive me for suggesting it was still there. but the note does mention "depending on how the new game plays out... use realistic adjustments."

To be honest, I hate the crap. I wish is were more realistic but it is not I fear. Maybe some others can pipe in, but again, traditionally, it would be silly to assume that the features of EA, especially "strategic buttons" and "advantages" are actually realistic.

But no matter the case, you should absolutely not be using these every stinking play. For no defensive coordinator worth his spit is gonna run commit (what does that mean anyway? like FULLY commit? half commit? kinda look for the run? totally abandon the pass?.... silliness I say) every play.

I guess I've opened this for discussion. Will be asking other commishes.

12. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

I would like to say that I honestly missed that if that was in the rule description. Sorry. If it is in there I won't use them. I would rather be in the league than keep using them. That would be silly.

I would like to hear from other commishes or league members. That would certainly be an interesting conversation! I just think that the gameplanning is different than cheesy plays. A nano blitz or rocket catch is cheesy. How do you stop those? You can't, and that's why leagues ban them. I put in my last post how there are 2 sides to the gameplanning. When I put tackling on conservative, my players most certainly do not make the tackle every time. And I'm not sure what you mean by run commit. Is that on option plays? Or the d-line aggressiveness? Thanks.

Hokie, if you and I are playing a game and your Georgia Tech and I'm Georgia and you're running the option EVERY PLAY, and EVERY time you are pitching the ball. Why should I not be allowed to adjust my team to mainly go after the RB so they won't keep getting beat every play?

13. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

If you feel like gameplanning creates an unfair edge, then that's that. I don't know if anyone else has used them, but I haven't had a distinct advantage in any 1 category. Even when my pass rush in on aggressive, I'm not getting 12 sacks a game. I believe I'm still averaging around 5. When my pass defense is focused on interceptions instead of swats, I can see my guys going for more picks. But I also get beat deep more often. It's just a risk I take (at certain points in the game).

But again, if the rule says we can't use them, I'll never use them of course. It's good that we are clarifying things. I was sure that the first season would bring up such conversations!

14. vatechhokie01

commishes in my discussion saying they do not ban but they need to be used in moderation.

translation = if you are using something every play regardless of realistic expectation or because "it works," don't. If you want to use it on a strategic play-by-play basis, fine. But beware of other noticing cheesy overuse.

i think that settles it for now?

15. vatechhokie01

don't want this to become a legalistic dogmatic rule-based league. but fwiw, we don't know how the new guys play. jsut what it is. prove you play on the up-and-up and ALWAYS play sim, like a coach would in real life and we will have zero issues.

all this said, there are no current issues btw. just a topic that game up. good playing everyone!

16. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

o.k sounds good!

17. vatechhokie01

btw, rules go both ways. just cuz you get your ass beat, dont call out some cheesy play and use the rules to hold all of us to some unrealistic style of play. its a video game. impossible to be perfectly realistic. sometimes you lose.

note: be bulldog. he got his tail kicked (as usual...thanks bulldog for representing the old regime) and graciously accepted defeat!

18. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Maybe I can get a Nike endorsement out of my graciousness...."Be like Bulldog"

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

And Kent State shouldn't be avg. 5 sacks a game this early in the season. Maybe against the MAC but most def. not early in the season.

20. vatechhokie01

first you have to not suck to get a nike deal

21. vatechhokie01

5 sacks/game is lame.

22. vatechhokie01

bulldog, how many times did he sack you? lol

23. TJM

TJM Walk On

I do not see a problem with using the gameplanning features other than always choosing run or pass commit. Calling pass commit when its 3rd and 25 is a legitimate call by a real sim defense. Calling pass commit when theres 30 seconds left with no timeouts going for a driving win is defensive strategic football that happens IRL. Using these 2 features all the time is illegitimate, especially against a balanced team (and it will most likely hurt you by even doing this). But it is strategic football to call run commit if its 1st and goal at the half yard mark. Calling the run commit and someone opening up a playaction pass is almost surely ending in a TD.

From experience playing football IRL all my life, growing up in the locker rooms and football camps, coaching high school football (my father was and still is a high school coach, I help him) I say:
    As for the other ones like aggressive pass rush, consertaive zone defense, etc..I think these are legitimate gameplanning techniques. If you know a team passes the ball 75-80% of the time a game, then IRL you tell your defensive line to be aggressive, as the likelyhood of getting beat by an off tackle run is a risk-reward situation. If you know the team passes the ball a majority of the time, you tell your defensive line to get to the quarterback, be aggressive>

Conservative/Aggressive Pass Defense: If your team is made up of strong, athletic, fast secondary then aggressive style of play is usually called for. This includes bump n runs (strength, athleticism, speed, etc..). If your playing a speedier team, then balanced, conservative might be better. If your secondary is weak, not that fast, and your playing a team of speedsters, then you play balanced-conservative (hardly any bump and run, you also tend to run more zone defense if you have a weaker, less athletic secondary.)

Aggressive Tackling-Fumbles, etc..: If your down a couple scores, or its late in the game and you MUST get the ball back immediately, then you tell your defenders to go for the ball, strip it. This is also a risk reward as going for the strip can either lead to broken tackles for a TD or fumble recoveries.

All gameplanning features have a risk-reward. You need to look at your teams strengths and weakness as well as your opponents (is our secondary fast? Strong? Do they have fast receivers? How much do they run the ball? etc..). This comes with pre-game preperation. Just because people do not want to take the time to do pregame preperation like finding these things out, in a sim football league, does not mean it should be banned.

I am not sure what the other features are as I truthfully do not really use any of them as I feel more comfortable being balanced, but I am sure they all have risk-rewards and should be gameplanned based on your opponents strength-weaknesses as well your own teams strength-weaknesses.

Thats just my 2 cents.

24. TJM

TJM Walk On

Why is it lame? If its was 5 sacks again coming from poor D-Line, Linebackers (blitzing), and DBs (pass coverage sacks) against a team like Wiskys offensive line (usually, not so much this year) then it would be lame.

I've had a few sacks a game, but all of them I believe have been coverage sacks or designed screen plays where the CPU QB does not get the ball off in time.

25. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

Oh. My. Goodness. Someone agreed with me on something (I'm talking about subjects outside of the cathedral too). I'm about to cry. lol The risk/reward subject is what the gameplanning is all about. Along with the team's strengths and weaknesses. Either way, it's up to the league, so we'll see.

And I am averaging 3 sacks a game. Which is still good to me. I do have Robert Nix aka the beast at right end!!!! lol :p