Reminder - Going for it on 4th down

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by NYJuggalo45, Oct 2, 2009.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Reminder - Going for it on 4th down

The league rule is:

03. Offense
    03.01 - Going on 4th Down
    We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

* Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to go for it on 4th down.
    * If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

There was an issue in a game this week where someone went for it on 4th & 1 from their own 40 with under 3 mins to go in the game. This is NOT ALLOWED!. I will be speaking with the person about it, but wanted to remind everyone about the rule

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

we are assumming the team that went for it was winning.....or the game was tied?

3. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Team was up 24-21 with 3 mins to go, 4th & 1 on their own 40 and went for it, getting the 1st down...rather than punting back to the other team. Something totally unsim, and something you would never see in real football

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Something that continues to happen for some reason. Stop this garbage fellas.

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Just playing devils advocate here but last week the Patriots went for it on their roughly their own 40 yd line on 4th and 1 against the Falcons. In real life.

6. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

#1 - We're better than Bill Belichek

#2 - For every 1 Belicheck, there are 31 other smart coaches. And weren't they up more than a FG when they did that? I thought they were up like 10?

#3 - That's what our rules are, and what everyone needs to go by

7. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

some things have to be regulated in gaming leagues though.. you can 't say that ONE instance of situation in the NFL means that we should not have rules limiting gameplay around that specific issue... otherwise, you will have guys going for it all the time.

it's basically about drawing a line that everyone is comfortable with so that people can't get a realistic game online... otherwise you have no idea what your gonna get when you play someone.

8. GoGators

The Pats were up 16-10 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. It was 4th and 1 from their own 24 yd line. Just looked it up on ESPN. I thought it was crazy when they went for it too but the got it. They went for it later on the same drive on 4th and 3 from the Atlanta 37 and got that too.

#1...you may be but I know I'm not better than Bill Belicheck. Only have to look at my paycheck to realize that.

#2...31 smart coaches with less super bowl rings

#3....I agree we need the rules. Like I said, I was just playing devils advocate. I'm not supporting the person that did it and I haven't done it but I was just trying to offer a perspective. Hopefully you didn't take it the wrong way.

I think there is some gray area on this but like Ryno stated, rules need to be in place in gaming leagues. Although I will note that this video game actually gives the defense a chance to make a stop on a play like 4th and 1 finally.

9. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

There are games where going for it in that situation is the right decision. I go by the rules though.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i kick and play defense every time in that scenario

11. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Not at all, I was actually being tounge in cheek with most of my post. Except for the last part. The rule is, in that situation, you MUST punt. We can use this forum to discuss maybe changing or amending the rule. But until we do, that is the rule that must be followed, and someone can't decide to not follow them, and thus, costing the other team a shot at a tying FG or GW TD, as it happened in this situation.

12. GoGators

I agree fully.