Reputation System

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shaun Mason, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Everyone,

I came across an interesting way to let your fellow community members decide how valuable you are to the community. We now have a Reputation System that allows you to autonomously give people feedback. Considering how much emphasis we put on being good members of the community, this is an interesting way to let people measure themselves against each other.

How it works:
    • Every 24 hours, you can give 10 reputation clicks.
    • With each click, you can assign how much reputation to give.
    • You can give positive or negative reputation.
    • You can't spam the same person, you have to evaluate 20 people before you can repeat one, so you can only give an opinion of someone every couple days, max.
    • How many points you can give per click depends on how long you have been here, how many posts you have, how many posts you have, and how much reputation you have.

For example, I can give 12 points per click. At the moment, I have been here as long as anyone, I have the most posts, so I would expect 12 to be the ceiling right now. If I gain 100 reputation, I get another point to assign. So, remember that the more reputation you give someone, the more powerful they will become in the reputation system.

So, think a post is great...give some reputation for it.
    Think a post is terrible, hit them with some negative points.
    Tired of someone being inactive in your league, give them negative points.

By the way, this is for Premier Members only. I have something else for you guys I will announce after the draft.:)

Shaun

2. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Wow this is interesting Shaun. Can't wait to try the finished product.

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Is their a way to track who gave you the 'bad rap'? We're all adults here but some guys act like teenagers, no offense, so I can see them giving negative rep to be funny. Just a thought.

4. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Great Idea, this site is constantly getting better.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

VSN has something like this and they track it by green squares.. should be interesting

6. justadude

justadude Walk On

How about instead of a statistic to label someone, we take the time to look at their posts to get an idea of who they are...

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

In theory, this would work great. However, many cases have shown that programs similar to this one simply do not work in practice

1). as previously mentioned by jerzeyreign, while we would like to assume that we are all mature adults here, the fact of the matter is that in all likelihood there are a few people who will act like teenagers.

2). a lot of members are going to treat this as an afterthought, and not really pay close attention to it

3). reputation is subjective. while one person may view someone in a negative light, another may view the same in a positive light.

I could probably think of more reasons, but it's 3am and Im really tired and I still have to work more on my senior sem project. Long story short - the best way to get to know someone is to do what justadude said: look at their posts and make the judgment yourself.

8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Bruh, I don't mean to be a 'cop', but c'mon now... who honestly wants to go back and look at somebody's posts? Are you going to look back through all 6,000+ (wow, didn't know I was up that high) of my posts to find out what kind of person I am?

Improvement over the current situation is always a positive. Not everything can/will work out as planned but even attempts keep people like me with a smile knowing that management is trying to make things better. /rant

Edit: Sorry for that but its Monday and I just spilled my Red Bull. I get a little agitated without my caffeine. Sorry if this came out harsh.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    This one is finished, Suge.:)

10. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I have the option to let people see that, but I have it turned off. If this turns into virtual penis measuring, I'll get rid of it, or the people causing problems.

12. Iron Mickey

www.reputationdefender.com

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Not really worried one way or the other.

<-- Negative 1 already. Let the 'class' begin.

14. Iron Mickey

I just sent you some G-Unit rep love buddy

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Honestly, if you want to go this route... then there's a lot of policies on this site, especially the new ones that are coming up for NCAA '12, that would lead to bad places if people decided to act like that. If someone views one thing in a negative light and someone else in a positive, it'll end up equaling out. I would imagine it will get used about as much as the like button.

There will usually be that one or two people who will end up with mounds of negative rep, but it's all in good fun.

Does it show what post you got +/- repped for or does it just say you got rep?

16. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

wow i got deleted.

does a mod deletion cost bad rep? :)

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That's up to you.:)

18. Iron Mickey

deleted? WTH did u do?

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    You got a -1 because someone didn't like your comment...that's what this is for.

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I delete a lot more threads than you realize.:)

It's called moderation.

21. Iron Mickey

Are you aware that I once killed a small pony......

with my bare hands?

[​IMG]

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Amazing you got him before he choked you out...

23. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It shows what post, who did it, and their comments.

24. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Shaun, can we have this show up wihen you click someone's name? the Likes received and trophy points show up but not rep points.

25. justadude

justadude Walk On

Did not sound harsh at all to me.

No, I would not read all 6500+ posts. if the need arises, I would simply see how someone handled thenselves in certain situations (content, trash talking, conflict, etc.) to get a better feel what a person is like. This does not require extensive reading and is much better way of judging someone than an arbitrary number.

What is the rep number going to tell you about someone that will help you decide if they are a good fit for your league?

Its like me saying I have an RB that ran 43 times for 119 yards in a season. That does not sound good. If he scored 16 TDs and gained 19 first downs on 3rd & 4th downs in short yardage situations against 8 - 9 men in the box with everybody knowing that he is getting the ball, it is a different story.

Context is everything when judging a person and a rep number has none.