Request to raise file size of avatars

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Bradkaz96, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Bradkaz96

Bradkaz96 Sim-Nation LSU Tigers

As you requested Shaun, here are the 2 avatars

[​IMG]

This is the lowest quality I could make this jpeg at and it still doesn't meet the site requirements for file size @ 19.8kb

[​IMG]

This is the original quality i created it at. It is in the 34kb range. I think if we boosted it to 50k or so it should allow better cleaner pictures and shouldn't slow down load times.

Hope this helps!

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    tblmil2.jpg tblmil2.png

3. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Good ole png.

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Ok, I took the high quality .jpeg you provided and converted it to a 8-bit level .png.

They are side by side above. Can you really tell that much of a difference?

The JPEG is 34KB, the PNG is less than 8KB.

---

I am not really opposed to increasing the current 20KB limit (at least for premier members), but there is not much difference between those two files. Feel free to counterpoint if you want.

5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    PNG's are just straight up better, am I right?

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Also, just so you don't think I am being a pain in the ass just for the sake of being one...the logo in the header is smaller than 25KB.

7. Bradkaz96

Bradkaz96 Sim-Nation LSU Tigers

Shaun, what program are you using? I tried doing this using photoshop 7.0 and was unable to recreate this result. The PNG was the same size. Not sure if the save options are different or something. Just as a side note not everyone has the ability to change file types if they are just looking for ones that exist on the web already most of those are jpeg format.

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I used Paint.NET, and GIMP, both work. I don't have Photoshop.:) You have to adjust the quality down.

I have a screen somewhere of the loading time of the root of the forums...it is like 40% avatars Brad. I'm not trying to be a hard case about this, but it does greatly effect the load time of the site.

If I was getting this request a lot, it would be different, but I have yet to have any complaints about that file size.

If you want me to help you get the file size down, I am more than willing, I want you to be happy here.