Restarts issue-read and discuss

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bcduggan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Restarts issue-read and discuss

Taken from rules:

WG.5.0 - Restarts: There will be NO restarts for user vs. cpu games. In the unlikely event that you experience a problem/emergency during your game, notify your commissioner immediately. Failure to instantly notify your commissioner will result in a sim. If restarts become a trend you will be dismissed from the dynasty.

Up until this season we hadn't had much of a problem with restarts vs cpu. This season we have had at least 5 restarts by users in cpu games. Bigsmooth has 2. I am simming Bigsmooths game this week because of the restart this week.

I believe Troy, SMU, and Houston each had one this season, I know Troy and SMU did, they both notified the board. Houston, I thought I saw it on the HQ one of the weeks.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

IMO- all restarts should automatically be simmed, regardless of excuse. If it's a multiple offense or you think someone tried to avoid a loss it should be a sim loss. It's only fair.

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

IMO, it should be case by case... Some unforeseens happen.

The commish has spoken though...

BTW, both games were with MTSU leads at ND...

4. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

A zero-tolerance policy shouldnt be in effect when dealing with EA's servers. Yeah its only happened to me once in 4 seasons of X3B but it still happens and it is still frustrating as hell.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Onaradio>I was mainly quoting what the rules stated. I never put the rule in. That being said, I remember the EA server issue, there were a few days that it was terrible.

I only brought it up because this year there have been a lot more than in previous years. I think there may have been one last season. I know in the 3 seasons prior I had one but that wasn't server related it was me related. My batteries died in my wireless controller and I couldn't find new ones. My backup controller the L2 button is broken so I couldn't use it.

I understand issues happen. The servers go down, getting called into work, family needs attention, and etc.

I know that there are dynasties that for every restart they user loses 2 scholarships. That may be a little extreme but the guy who implemented that one said it stopped 95% of restarts in his dynasty. I know in some dynasties it's an automatic sim.

I am prepared to set my team to advance for no matter what the reason my game may end prematurely vs cpu. I hope with myself I never have to do that but it's a reasonable statement for me to make.

6. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I completely agree with the rule. I even think that losing connection during a game falls under the users responsibility to have a reliable connection. My issue is with the servers failing. I think if it happens again ill take a video of the screen saying "the server is unavailable" and trying to reconnect. I dont think you could fudge this since anything else will read as "loss of connection." Sound fair to everyone?

7. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

I don't lose my connection much if ever, I didnt notice that there is a different message for server failure as opposed to loss of your own connection. Onaradio's suggestion seems fair.

The only other reason [apart from dead controllers] is if there is some type of emergency, but you can play when you expect not to have any interruptions. If an emergency arises then the result of a video game shouldnt matter in comparison and you should feel fine about dealing with the emergency and taking a sim.

So I guess what I am saying is that I would vote for sim in the event of a restart unless proof of a server issue can be sent.

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I probably have the worst connection or pretty close to the worst connection of anyone who plays online. My download is between 1.5 and 2.5, my upload is 512k. I have to play other users either when wife is sleeping or watching TV, because if she is online using facebook or pogo I have too much lag and in some cases the game quits esp when playing other users.

9. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

i dont think i had a restart this year

10. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

i had a restart in a user game but i dont think that counts

11. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

drunken, if i stated you in error, i apologize.