Restricted FA Period

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Apr 14, 2010
    Capparelli brought this to my attention so I wanted to make an official post about it so EVERYONE could see it.

Essentially, there is a restricted FA period after the season. Once playoffs start, through the playoffs and through the rookie draft all the way up until the official Free Agency periods begin - we run a restricted FA period. What this means is you have first crack at resigning your players before they become free agents.

Currently, any contract re-signings go on this years cap. In restricted FA, any resignings go on next years cap (thats Y2 on the spreadsheets.) During restricted FA you're basically deciding who you want to sign and who you want to not re-sign. If the player is re-signed, they require a normal contract, as usual, and their signing bonus. The signing bonus is essentially the price you pay to keep your players from becoming unrestricted FA because if you recall, unrestricted FA's do not require signing bonuses.

Lets try to do a summary to clarify things a bit:

1. Beginning of season 1 through trade deadline - resign players on season 1 cap.
    2. End of season 1 until rookie draft = restricted FA period - resign players on season 2 cap. Get roster to 48 players or less. Signing bonuses are required.
    3. Rookie draft happens - decide which rookies to sign and continue making decisions about restricted FA's
    4. Restricted FA ends, real FA begins - all free agents are signed by bidding and signing bonus is NOT required though is helpful for outbidding other owners.
    5. Start of season 2 and end of Free Agency - all players are signed on first come first serve basis - signing bonus not required.

Any Questions?