RFA/Franchise Tags

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

RFA/Franchise Tags

After we get progressions in place, I know we have a deadline set up for getting the new caps figured out. Do we also have a deadline for people putting in their mandatory cuts?

One other question on this note as well: have we considered having a board member receive all the information on RFAs and franchise tags and mandatory cuts? That way that board member could post the information at the same time to keep "competitive balance" and unfair advantages from creeping up.

Someone mentioned this idea and I thought it was a good one if we hadn't already thought of it. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I see your point Win....if I already know that there will be lots of CBs in free agency I may just cut them where as I wouldn't have otherwise.

This is a great idea. I think it needs to get done. Have people email a board member their cuts, then we release the complete list on said date, that way no competitive advantage.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Since I got the cap book, it would make most sense for me to get these things, unless someone else would rather get the list. That way I could start doing some color manipulation, changing names of players that are RFAs a different color to easily spot them on the roster for me. And I could easily make a new tab to put on the book with the RFAs all listed on it and minimum bid to try to get their services.

Let me know.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i think we should make them post their cuts and tags in their team management thread that way you can handle them in the book and we (a board member) can compile a list, make sure those players are really released, and start the offseason.

yes there will be deadlines, just gonna wait and post them after we know when the OMFL Bowl game is done.

5. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I would like to be the one to get the list of drops from people. I havent really had a real job yet. I think that it would be fun. If that is ok with you guys.

6. natedawg212000

i dont think we should do a 'list'. everyone should post them in their team management thread and we can make a 'list' from that. i just dont like the idea of having to do extra work by sending it to one guy who could be sick, have issues, whatever and then we are either stuck with no list or stuck having to have everyone redo them. simple and easy i always say

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Playing devil's advocate, if you don't mind, Nate...what's to keep me from waiting till the very last minute to post my RFAs/cuts and watching other people and seeing what they have cut to know what I can afford to cut and possibly sign as FAs?

That made more sense in my head, but do you see my point? With people posting their cuts/franchises/RFAs at different times, I can make my cuts accordingly and have a competitive advantage.

To be fair, if we decide on simple I'm not against it. I just want to make sure we see both sides before making a decision.

8. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

That is what I was thinking too. People will make moves based off of others moves. Many will wait as long as they can I think to see others drops. If it is secret until it it released it would put everyone on the same playing field. I thought it was a good idea.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Again, to be fair, I see Nate's point. The simpler we can keep it, the better it is for the league and its leadership (us). In this case though, I would lean towards being more complicated in this matter.

10. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I see his point too. I was just kind of presenting the alternative. I like the idea. I am good either way,

11. natedawg212000

Again, its all part of the game. If ppl want to wait, then fine, wait, but you still have a deadline and it still has to get in. I personally dont follow what you guys mean? waiting to see what others cut doesnt change my averages or anything. I've still gotta cut 6 ppl, regardless of who others cut.

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, I'll give you a possible example:

If I wait around and see a lot of teams RFA/cutting DTs, I may be more willing to RFA my DT, because the possibility exists that I may be able to get him back for the minimum versus other DTs.

Conversely, if there are few LBs going to the cut/RFA route, I would be more willing to NOT RFA/cut my LBs on my average list because of the inability to protect them with cap restrictions.

Sure, in either example I could get lucky (or unlucky), but I'm playing the odds by waiting in either spot, which gives me a competitive advantage in supply and demand of players. I can, to an extent, control the market.

13. natedawg212000

if there is a deadline of 3 days, and everyone waits then so be it. i donno. i am for whatever you guys want, i personally just dont like it and dont see the need for it. lets go with what the majority wants.

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

I am for Win's idea.

15. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I am for Wins idea and if voted I volunteer to get the list and post it in a nice HTML table organized by team.

16. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I agree with Nate on this. NFL teams don't have to give a list to the commish before releasing or giving players RFA tag. If people want to wait let them do it. Maybe just say that teams have to have their RFA's and cuts posted before bidding on RFA's, that way waiting till the last day could cause you to miss out on bidding on other RFA's.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Actually, Claven, that's an awesome idea. Just like with posting caps and what not, if you do not have your RFAs on the table, you can't bid on other people's RFAs. That is perfect. Would prevent waiting, and if you wait too long you will miss out.

Sold on Nate's idea with Claven's caveat.

18. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Claven makes sense on this one. I think I am changing my vote.