Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by heathh, Mar 2, 2014.

1. heathh

heathh Walk On

Im sorry for my recent rant! I apologize to everyone for putting problems out there. I will look at evaluating my play instead of focusing on other's.

I enjoy playing here and want to think Jim Michael and Doug for the opportunity.

Guys, I apologize if I have ruined a game for you. Its Ridiculous for me to make accusations with no evidence and to nit pick your game. When it could all be my fault. I will be working on my issues. Please forgive me and lets move forward!

Thanks a lot,
    Heath

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

What is it that your opponents are doing that makes their play not "sim"? Are you sure they are really using quarters defense "the entire half"? What is the down and distance when your opponent is using quarters defense? What is the score? Why is it harder to play against quarters defense? Are you mixing up your offense? If you aren't doing this already, perhaps keep your opponents honest and take it to your opponent with the run when they come out in quarters? Are you having difficulty reading the coverage? Perhaps it isn't the coverage that is the problem, but rather, perhaps there is a different solution to the problem by means of playcalling?

In the future, I would recommend talking with your opponents about your concern directly versus taking it to the forum. If your opponent isn't responsive, bring the concern to Jim or Michael, or even me like you had. Hell, even if your opponent IS responsive, I would still bring it to Jim and Michael's attention so that they are aware of the concern and the communication between you and your opponent. They'll be able to determine if there is any abuse going on and can address the concern head on; similar to that as Jim did wth the QB Playmaker Control issue. The problem with voicing your concern in the forum like you have is that instead of being constructive, you are being negative and will most likely be viewed as a whiner. I'm not saying that you are a whiner because you are voicing a concern, however, it is the way that you voiced it and that is how your message comes across. If you're looking for support, this isn't the way to do it.

I, personally, have been looking for ways to improve my passing game as it has been dismal at best. Here are a couple of items that I found that may help you based on your concern that you have stressed...

• Like Like x 1
  3. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Pass lead is my favorite friend.

4. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

I see very little of quarters defense when I play my games…and the dialogue on the game logic is clearly messed up as they misdiagnose game situations and defenses verbally all the time.

I see quarters scarcely used…and certainly not all the time. I'd be surprised if owners used that D exclusively or extensively.

Seeing lots of losing teams playing the blame game(s) lately. People do realize that MOST teams in the NFL…lose, and a much smaller percentage win?

• Like Like x 1
  5. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Heath and I had a long discussion behind the nature of his original post as well as the subject matter. Heath elected to change the content of the original post, and I respect that decision.

To make a long story short, for those that did not see Heath's original post; he was frustrated with what he perceived as overuse of the Quarters defensive formation by his opponents as of late.

I took issue with Heath's accusatory tone and public nature of his statement, and I let him know that. Simply put, we do not tolerate lashing out at fellow members publicly, whether directly or indirectly (named or not). If you have a problem with your opponent, speak to league management. Don't take it upon yourself to blast them in the forums. If a particular situation needs addressing publicly, we will handle that.

Regarding Heath's original concerns, I want to speak on both sides of the issue.
    • First; assuming Heath is correct and he has been seeing nothing but Quarter's formation for a quarter, half, or even entire game at a time. This is not OK. Nobody should be running any one formation (on either side of the ball) that extensively. If you think that is ok for any reason at all, you either need to change your line of thinking, or find a new league. Even if someone is running a lot of spread offense (which also shouldn't be done exclusively), there is no reason for a defense to stay in a single formation. Mix in some Nickel, Dime, and Dollar for Pete's sake. Mixing it up is a pillar of what we consider "Sim" game play. This goes for all situations and all sides of the ball. Open up your playbook, find other things that work for you!
    • Secondly; sometimes we can get too wrapped up with watching our opponents for flaws (or "Un-Sim" play), that we get too caught up in that and forget to have fun. If we look hard enough or nit pick everything, we WILL find flaws in any and everyone (even if we have to manufacture them in our own minds). When you play the game with that mentality, you will make yourself miserable. Win or lose (but especially when you lose), that little flaw you nit picked will just fester inside of you. Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and a step back. I think the majority of the time you will realize it wasn't as bad as you initially thought. I know I can relate to this myself, as early on in my league experience I used to find flaws in every single one of my opponents' games and I would drive myself crazy. Now it is my job to look out for flaws as the commissioner, so I have to be careful not to over analyse once again. Now, I am not saying that you should overlook any clear infractions by your opponents, quite the contrary. If there is a clear rule violation, it needs to be discussed. Either with your opponents directly or with league management (or both). Because if we don't know about it, we can't take steps to correct it. But at the same time, everyone needs to make sure that if you are going that far, there is an absolute legitimate reason, and you are not just letting your frustration get the better of you.

Thanks,

~Jim

Avery (AveryB) - Steelers
    Carl T. (CTfromDC) - Bengals
    Charlie (KingPatron) – 49ers
    Chris (CSteud) - Packers
    Curtis (thafuture3886) - Colts
    Danny (DJDunn6) - Dolphins
    Dave (saintsdave75) - Texans
    David F. (David Froisland) - Bears
    Doug (CHUNKNESS) - Jaguars
    Eddie (pittrocks43) - Saints
    Eric (Easy Dez It) - Rams
    Glen (Glen Cieske) - Raiders
    Heath (heathh) - Lions
    James M. (cry_havoc) - Giants
    James Y. (Phenom) - Broncos
    Jeremy (Jeremy) - Buccaneers
    Jim (LtJustice) - Seahawks
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman) - Redskins
    Josh (Josh Barnes) - Ravens
    Kenri (DarkKnight89) - Vikings
    Kris (Coach KO) - Eagles
    Lawon (MrWitness36) - Falcons
    Loren (ThaBayouChef) - Titans
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84) - Chargers
    Michael O. (Michael Overman) - Sentinels
    Mike A. (Miki1369) - Cardinals
    Moe (CaptMoe) - Cowboys
    Pope (dablakpope) - Browns
    Reis (Mugga) - Panthers
    Rob (PepperNY) - Patriots
    T.J. (klaximilian) - Jets
    Troy (redlishus) - Chiefs

• Like Like x 3
  6. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I do notice a lot of guys playing Nickel when I run my 2 TE sets. I don't like it but, as stated by Doug, I've learned to adjust and take what the defense gives me.
    Not sure about QTRs. Could he be seeing the 3-2-5 defense and thinks it's QTRs?

7. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I can see nickel against two TEs sets. when people call nickel against 2WRs 2RBs 1 TE sets on first down you know they probably like playing nickel too much

8. LtJustice

LOL Moe, you got 2 88spd TEs. Not many LBs can hang with them.

• Like Like x 7
  9. CSteud

CSteud Walk On

I know the Baltimore defensive play book has quite a few formations that could be mistaken for quarter. Other than the nickel 2-4-5 if you come out 3+ WRs against me you're more than likely to see something that looks like qtrs but it's usually not. I usually only call qtr (among other things) if I'm going against 4 or more WRs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I will only call quarters against 4 and 5 WR sets an only in pass only situations. I would prefer to go with more LBs than CBs if I can help it.

11. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

There is nothing wrong playing Nickel defense when you come out in a 2TE/2WR set. Especially if you're a team that has good receiving TEs and likes to pass to the TEs often. It's all about playing the chess match. If I think you're going to pass out of that formation, why would I have my LBers cover your fast tight ends when I can have a safety or CB cover one of them?

So I have to ask, what exactly don't you like about it?

• Like Like x 6
  13. LtJustice

Personally I DO sometimes use quarters D more than I use Nickel, Dime, or Dollar. For me, I consider it to be my best personnel package for stopping the pass.

Just as a refresher, here are the formation restrictions for defense:

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Yea but one of them is always hurt... :(

15. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I thought the reason I don't like it was pretty obvious. If not, I plead the 5th... :cool:

16. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Nope, it's not obvious why. It's within the rules to use that formation and it's good scheme to matchup against your personnel. Not really sure what the beef with that strategy would be.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2