Rising Concern - Covering with DE's

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Feb 14, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Rising Concern - Covering with DE's

Ok. There has been more and more questions as of late of weather its league for people to use their DE's to cover in pass coverage. As of now, if they move after the snap of the ball its allowed. I think the problem is guys are starting to do it when the play calls for the DE to be rushing and they are taking them and manually moving them into coverage. I personally will use a DE in coverage, but only when the play calls for the DE to do a qb spy or a zone. I never do it when the DE is suppose to be rushing.

Thoughts on this situation? I think hes pretty pathetic imo and a little cheesy. I'd be all for a rule that stated if you cover with the DE then it much be a play that calls for the DE to NOT rush. Not saying we need a rule here, but it is something we need to discuss.

2. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

Not to point fingers but the eagles did use this alot. Bringing his D-end back in coverage every passing play. I think its stupid and very unsim

3. natedawg212000

ya. that's exactly who the complaint (the latest one) was about. Bears said it was very pathetic and the reason he lost the game.

4. natedawg212000

I've also heard this about the chiefs owner.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

This drives me absolutely insane when owners do this consistently.

BigOx hot routes his DEs into zones A TON, and then when its a passing situation many times he will hot route DEs into a man to man on MJD.

Now he did that and I just destroyed him downfield last game with Steve Smith to the tune of 300 yards and 5 TDs with brees....but that still doesn't make it sim style. When do you EVER see DE's in man to man pass coverage.

This needs to be addressed...

6. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

We will not be able to put a rule in that says DEs can only drop into coverage when play calls for it beacuse there is no way to see his playcall. But we can put something into the rules about getting excessive with it. Maybe once a drive or something to that nature.

7. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I know for a fact that the Chiefs owner does it. I watched his game against the Broncos. I don't like it when people do this, but like Jeremy said...it will be tough to say when the situation calls for it because they will they felt it did. If this is getting to be a problem though, we need to come up with some kind of a rule. Excessive use of this is not SIM.

8. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

theres been sometimes that I've done this, but maybe once or twice a game. I only do it when I'm blitzing usually and I just see the guy he was in the slot and try to protect from the quick slant. The sad thing is people always take advantage of everything.