Rivalries

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Full Moon Fever, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I was playing around with creating a new OD tonight.

As far as rivalries go, whatever team you substitute for, you'll get their rivals (or whatever team is subbed for that rival).

For the protected rivals, you have the option of having a cross-division rival that you will play every year. It's all or nothing for that, either everybody has one or nobody has one.

So we could either change out our 12 teams for a 12-team conference, the drawback being that our conference rivals would be kind of weird. A team subbed for Texas, for example, would have several conference rivals, and other teams would not. If we did that, we'd probably need to go with protected cross-division rivals to make sure that everybody has at least one rivalry game.

Other idea would be to replace crappy single teams from different conferences. This way we could all have a cpu rival, and if we wanted to also do a user rival, that could be done through the cross-division protected rival setup. This would also have the advantage of us not having to have a dynasty that's missing some of the best teams.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I was hoping issues like this would get resolved in our trial dynasty, which is why we ran one. I don't know shit about Teambuilder.

3. Full Moon Fever

Yeah, me either, that's why I set it up last night to toy around with it. I THINK the best thing to do would be to pick who we want as our cpu rival, and replace their real rival. For instance, I'll probably want Boston College as my cpu rival, so I'll look up on the game who their rival is and hopefully replace them. We can either set up cross-division rivals on the game or just have our own rivalries here on the board.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Ok good, get it figured out bro. Fn work, I'll be off Sat-Mon and can really toy with it then.

5. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

As much as it pains me to say it... you could probably replace a lot of the MAC schools to form the desired effect. As an example off the top of my head, EMU, WMU and CMU are all rivals; so you could replace those three.

Maybe we just need to get up a list of rivals of some of the weaker teams in each division so we can compile it. I'll start working on seeing what I can do.

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Maybe I was high, but I could have SWORN that EA let's you customize the rivalries under Custom Conferences, I fucking remember doing it in my first offline dynasty.

7. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Ya I think its for gauranteed cross-division games. You can set 2 teams to be cross-division rivals but I dont think it counts as a rivalry unless their already set up as rivals.

8. Full Moon Fever

Yeah you can give them a cross-division rival if you have a 12 team conference, but that's it. And that screws up the schedule because you would get that opponent every year and have two games to rotate the other 5 teams. Somebody could get lucky. For example, Ole Miss gets to play Vanderbilt every year even though they are in different divisions of the SEC.

9. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Alright I think I've come up with something!! I thank my wonderful co-professors at Princeton University for their assistance in the development of this Ivy League quality setup. Here is my wall of text and the product of some thinking:

This is entirely based on:
    "As far as rivalries go, whatever team you substitute for, you'll get their rivals (or whatever team is subbed for that rival)."

Instead of raiding the MAC, I'm going to be raiding the Sun Belt. Here is who we'd replace with who and how this would ultimately end up for the rivals:

Replace:

Arkansas State -> Bucknell (Ark St Rivals: Troy, North Texas) *Redd
    Middle Tenn State -> Georgetown (MTSU Rivals: ULL, WKU, Troy) *Qwon
    ULL -> Harvard (ULL Rivals: ULM, La Tech) *Fever
    WKU -> Howard (WKU Rivals: Temple, MTSU) *Hammer
    Troy -> Penn (Troy Rivals: UAB, FAU, MTSU) *Blonde
    La Tech -> Brown (La Tech Rivals: ULL, FS, ULM) *Nik
    ULM -> Yale (ULM Rivals: ULL, La Tech) *DCD
    N. Texas -> Holy Cross (N. Texas Rivals: NMSU, Ark. State) *Snoopy
    FAU -> Cornell (FAU Rivals: FIU) *Steamer
    FIU -> Columbia (FIU Rivals: FAU) *Galt

Then we'll replace two from the MAC:

Temple -> Princeton (Temple Rivals: Pitt, Buff) *Crumb
    Buffalo -> Dartmouth (Buffalo Rivals: SU, Temple) *Irish

Now you're probably going, alright, wth does that do? This actually will set up the rivalries relatively close to what they are like in the Ivy League, Patriot League and also will even take into account some of the rivalries that have developed here in H4Y. So... based on the above, here is who you would have as your "official" rivals based on NCAA '12. Keep in mind that in some cases a team will be a rival outside of those listed, so in our case I just listed those as games that we won't be able to schedule. (Please definitely double check these to be sure that I did it right)

Redd -> Blonde, Snoopy
    Qwon -> Fever, Hammer, Blonde
    Fever -> DCD, Nik
    Hammer -> Qwon, Crumb
    Blonde -> Steamer, Qwon, Can't schedule UAB
    Nik -> Fever, DCD, Can't schedule Fresno
    DCD -> Fever, Nik
    Snoopy -> Redd, Can't Schedule NMSU
    Crumb -> Can't Schedule Pitt, Irish
    Irish -> Can't Schedule Syr, Crumb
    Galt -> Steamer
    Steamer -> Galt

By Team:
    Bucknell -> Penn, Holy Cross
    Georgetown -> Harvard, Howard, Penn
    Harvard -> Yale, Georgetown
    Howard -> Georgetown, Princeton
    Penn -> Cornell, Georgetown
    Brown -> Harvard, Yale
    Yale -> Harvard, Brown
    Holy Cross -> Bucknell
    Princeton -> Dartmouth
    Dartmouth -> Princeton
    Cornell -> Columbia
    Columbia -> Cornell

This is again with the divisional set up as:

Division 1:
    Brown
    Harvard
    Yale
    Cornell
    Columbia
    Princeton

Division 2:
    Penn
    Dartmouth
    Georgetown
    Bucknell
    Holy Cross
    Howard

Next, which games to set as cross divisional each year(protected games to fit the above), we actually only need 4, so we can actually put 2 more guaranteed matchups for two website based rivalries that I might be forgetting:

1. Dartmouth vs Princeton (most critical as it is our only rival in opposite divisions and also the only primary rivalry that goes across divisions)
    2. Princeton vs Howard (besides, we both live in KY, hammer and I, seems like a decent choice; guarantees him his second rivalry matchup)
    3. Georgetown vs Harvard (Let the Ohidaho Feud continue between Qwon and Fever)
    4. Penn vs Cornell (Steamer vs Blonde)

Since this is Hard4Yards, this will work out good in terms of bowl alignments and conference alignments as well. We take over the Sun Belt and make it two divisions with 12 teams. The MAC loses its two newest members and returns to the way it was before with 5 in the one division and 6 in the other. The only minor complaint is what to do with those four "extra" rivalries that were formed. The Pitt and Syracuse ones would be alright ones to keep considering the fact that they are in the Northeast but NMSU and UAB don't exactly fit.

Last detail, I almost wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea just to flip my team with Irish's team in terms of the divisions. I'm remembering that it was a bit difficult to schedule with Fever and I believe Steamer.. I know I had zero problem scheduling with Redd, Qwon or Hammer.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Bl0ndeRedHead

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

You are too devoted to this league

12. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Pfft, I had 30 minutes to kill before dinner. You must remember that we're in the Ivy Leagues now. The thing that shocked me was how it all literally came together so damn well by just using the default way the Sun Belt teams had their rivals.
    That's really all it took. ;)

Plus I also figure that I'm going to be getting busy once school starts so I don't know how much of that extra content stuff I'll be able to do. I figured maybe I can get some credit at the beginning while I have the time. ;)

13. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Dayum! Nice work crumb!

14. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

crumb is a beast

15. Full Moon Fever

FML.

16. Full Moon Fever

Seriously, though...."Bully!"

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Qwon, Steamer, and Redd? Hell ya

18. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Pfft, at least you get two chances each year to win vs what I dealt with last year with Nik as my swing-rivalry game.. Also you wanted Harvard, so you're going to get the big boys. ;)

19. jkyle5

jkyle5 Walk On

jkyle5-> Redd, Qwon, Fever, Hammer, Blonde, Nik, DCD, Snoopy, Crumb, Irish, Galt, Steamer...

LOL! SCREW YOU GUYS!! :p

20. Full Moon Fever

I'm just not looking forward to "Beat Nik" as my team goal.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Full Moon Fever

And why the hell are you still here?

• Like Like x 1
  22. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

No one in this league ever had to deal with that last year, nope, no one.. not even...., yeah, no... err.. right!

23. Full Moon Fever

Lol. It's not a big deal. Besides, it looks like Qwon is also a rival. So that's a W.

24. Full Moon Fever

...and look how that worked out for you. ;)

25. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Dude, my rivals are perfect.