Romo & Witten era comes to an end in Texas

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by CaptMoe, Nov 10, 2013.

1. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

BFFs. Use that term around the Cowboys and only two players come to mind: Tony Romo and Jason Witten. Their friendship off the field and chemistry on the field has been well documented. So it comes as no surprise that a couple of weeks after Romo announced his retirement, Witten followed suit and walked away from the game. Neither one provided any closing statements to their outstanding careers. We can only assume they felt this was the time to go. "I'm gonna miss my boy, T-Ro. That was my QB, man. That was my QB" was all Dez Bryant would say when asked for a comment.

So the obvious question is, where do the 'boys go from here? At QB, Andy Dalton was signed and he will compete this off-season with 2nd year player Jimmy Echavaria. The coaches are hoping Echavaria can do enough to win the job and have Dalton here to mentor him. There is also the possibility that veteran backup, Kyle Orton, could be re-signed for the same role. "Jimmy has a great arm. One of the strongest arms in the league. And he continues to put in the work to improve his footwork and accuracy. Having Andy here this off-season will no doubt help him" said Owner/GM Moe Valdes. Dalton, aka the Red Rifle, doesn't view himself as a backup and also doesn't believe that's why he was brought in. "There were other guys out there that can be backups and mentors. I won't keep anything from Jimmy but, I'm not rolling over either. I want to start as much as he does."

At TE the picture is a bit clearer. James Hanna steps in as the starter with 3rd yr man, Gavin Escobar, moving up to the #2 spot. Both guys provide athleticism. Hanna, one of the fastest TEs in the league, has worked hard on his route running and blocking. Escobar is already an accomplished route runner. He has also greatly improved as a blocker. "One thing they both learned from Jason is to be complete TEs. Over the last couple of seasons, teams have played a lot of Nickel vs our 2 TE packages because of Hanna's speed. When the QB and the OL see that nickel back, they know the run audible is coming. But if you can't block, you can't make the defense pay. With their improved blocking, these guys will make defenses pay."

The Cowboys might not be done in free agency. How they fare in the upcoming draft will determine who they go after. One thing is certain: whoever ends up starting at QB & TE will have BIG shoes to fill.
    Stay tuned...

• Like Like x 2
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

They'll come out of retirement in 2016... ;)

3. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Won't do me any good though, right? They'll be free agents...

• Like Like x 1