Rookie Salary

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Kidofcrash23, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I couldnt seem to find this anywhere...

As we approach the offseason and the draft, how are the contracts for rookies treated in regards to guaranteed money?

Full guarantee of rookie contract? Is there a tiered system somewhere for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ....etc draft picks?

Length of contract?

2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

There is some guarenteed money (signing bonus) for higher draft picks and better players it is higher, if they are drafted later you can get away with no signing bonus as for what each player is going to get for a salary that depends on the player and what there demands are. It is all done through XFN. (y)

3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Is there a minimum salary requirement for players (not just rookies but all players)?

4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Whatever they are willing to accept if they don't accept it will tell you that you need to raise the salary or SB. Some will take like 30K but those are those low ovr crappy players.

5. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

A rough estimate of rookie salaries would be a huge help for those of that might be tight against the cap. I'm still trying to familiarize with all of this, so it might take me a bit.

6. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

The reason i am asking is because most 1st rounders in the real nfl will have fully guaranteed contracts due to the rookie scale now.

on xfn, rookies have small salaries and small bonuses....

There is a 40% rule for vet FAs, but figured you would have a similar structure for high draft picks.

7. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

No there is no rule for that. Rookies don't always get small salaries and small bonuses it depends on where they are drafted and their overall. (y)

8. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

It is hard to say it depends on the overall and position of a player as well as what round they are drafted. If you want to put out an example to try and gauge what you might be looking at feel free to pm me or post here about it and I will answer it when I get back from work today (y)

9. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I cant go by history for tmfl since i think there was a boo boo that happened in march that resulted in a restart.

In another league, peter newcomer a qb i believe would be a high draft pick right? im thinking top 15 at least probably closer to top 7...

Anyways, his contract was $13 million 3 million bonus and accepted through XFN.

Another example is cobie ross i think he is one of the top rbs in the draft after the first year. The league i was in had him go for $24 million $6 million guaranteed...this was over 7 years which is stupid since the rookie scale doesnt go that far, but that is besides the point. Keep in mind that cam newton got $22 mill i think fully guaranteed contract.

I think the 20th or so pick in last years real NFL draft had his contract fully guaranteed. Granted it was probably like $12 million total over four or five years, but high draft picks these days will have a fully guaranteed contract most often than not.

Point is for me is high draft picks most of 1st rounders should probably have a fully guaranteed contract or at least 80% guaranteed. Contracts are shorter term with potential max being four years. The rest of the rounds, you are going to see less guaranteed or none at all.

2nd-7th rders not so much...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Whats this 40% rule you speak of.

11. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I am speaking of this:

09.03 - Free Agency
    We use the XFN Free Agency console to run this. There will always be a lot of information on the main forum about the offseason process and Free Agency is no different. To give you an idea of how things are typically ran, I will post an overview.
    1)We run a 24 hour bidding period directly after we finish signing rookies.
    2)Use the XFN console to submit your bids on players. The player will tell you how much they want and how long of a contract they will accept. All you control is how much money to give them.
    3)I will specify when the bid period is closing. The XFN console will accept bids up until this time and the exact time is randomized between 5 and 20 minutes, making the last 5-20 minutes an interesting flurry of bids (kind of like ebay).
    4)Players of particular marquee value will have "signing bonus" 40% rules attached to them. This means that if a player's total salary is 20 million their signing bonus must be at least 8 million. Otherwise the bid does not qualify and the player will not be added to the winning bidders team. Marquee players are typically designated as guys who are less than 30 years old and over 84overall.

12. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Less then 30 over 85+ gets a 40% bonus, got it.

13. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

I checked and it looks like the top 16 had fully guaranteed contracts. Here's a link with the list:

http://cippinonsports.com/2011/07/28/2011-nfl-rookie-signing-tracker/

Hopefully, the rookie salaries are roughly similar to these.

14. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

nice find...

Dont think XFN will have similar salary structures for rookies.

Same goes with Free agency salaries, most of the time, FA contracts that are high in salary have very low bonuses which is why i think the 40% rule was put in place.

The rookie contract negotiations plays out the same way...The bonus money is pretty manageable, but not realistic.

15. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

That is only for FA mind you. Rookies do not fall under this scale.

Kidofcrash23 aarondramp We do not do 7 year deals here, we do 3 years max, and players when they come up do demand salaries comparable, you will see after the draft but roughly in order to sign all 7 draft picks you will need roughly 7 million in cap money. If you don't plan to sign your late round guys then you could need less. If you don't have a first round pick it will save you money. (y)

I'm trying to answer as best I can but it is hard because there is no steadfast numbers to go by.

16. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Length of contract or not being able to sign your draft picks is not the issue..

I understand the rule does not apply to rookies. At this point, i am assuming this rule was put in place because FA bidding resulted in highly rated and high in demand players being signed for a lofty contract with minimal bonus money. Resulting in that player can be cut at any point with minimal cap penalty. Obviously, that is not reflective of the real NFL when star players get huge contracts with probably 40-50% of it being fully guaranteed. So trading/releasing would be difficult. This is my assumption of why the 40% rule was put in for free agent re-signs or FA bidding.

i am bringing this up about rookies because the XFN does the same thing that it does with Free Agents, higher salary for those picked higher, but low bonus money. Logically, wouldn't it make sense to have a similar system for rookies as well? As aaron posted, half of the 1st round picks had their contracts fully guaranteed with the remainder of the 1st rd being probably 75% guaranteed in the real nfl.

You dont really need exact numbers, but two of my examples that were high draft picks had only 25% of their salary guaranteed.

So i bring up the question, should there be a bonus rule for rookies as well?

17. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Kidofcrash23 I think a bonus rule for rookies would be something to look into, but I'm not really sure if it can be implemented.

18. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Doesnt the rookie signing period work the same way as Free Agent signing?

Meaning you can adjust the salary and the bonus money. So in free agency, if i wanted to sign Matt Forte to a deal, i probably sign him for $40 million for 5 years lets say and the bonus money being like $5 million. Due to the 40% rule, i manually would have to put in $16,000,000 in bonus money during the signing state to meet the 40% rule.

The rookie signing works the same way i believe. After the draft, you have to sign your players and you have the ability to change salary/bonus money manually the same way as FA.

Correct me if i am wrong.

If i am correct, if you can change salary/bonus during the negotiation stage for FAs/FA bidding, you can do it for rookies.

As far as implementation, only way you can not do this if people are opposed to having high cap numbers for rookies. The reason being that people tend to want to trade their rookies after one year whether it makes sense or not. Higher cap number, more difficult to trade.

19. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I would say I am against the signing rookies to huge contracts. They are unproven players, that is why the NFL has a rookie pay scale in effect. If were going to do something like a rookie pay scale where the first two rounds need to be paid X amount depending on where they are drafting that is fine with me but I am in no way in favor to give 40% SB to a rookie. I will have Friday off so if that works then I will work on drawing up a rookie pay scale and bring it to Shaun Mason fuzzyl0gic and I Peench and myself and see what some of them think in regards to it if were that die hard into the idea.

20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Rookies salaries are not huge. Cam Newton as the #1 pick last year got $22 million fully guaranteed. The example of Cobie Ross got $24 million 6 million guaranteed. That is the why i brought this up, i figured there would be fully guaranteed rookies just like in the NFL.

XFN i believe will not give the rookies huge salaries, it will probably range between $6 million and as high as $25 million for 1st rders. With obvious lower the pick the lower the salary...The point is, the rookies salaries are already low, shouldnt they be tiered guaranteed structure just like in the real NFL? Again, referencing Aaron's link, the first half of the 1st rd picks got fully guaranteed contracts.

21. fuzzyl0gic

If you cut someone from the NFL in the first 14 picks above ^^ you would have to pay them all of that guaranteed money, certainly more than XFN generates as acceptable. I don't think something like a 40% rule would be too crazy for first rounders, we are going to raise the cap 7% each year.

22. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

As I said Friday I can try to draw up a rookie wage scale if you want for guaranteed money for the first round if you want.

23. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Imo I would just keep it anyone above 84 regardless of being a rookie or not, not necessarily all 1st rounders.

• Like Like x 1
  24. fuzzyl0gic

Very few rookies would be that high.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    There are probably 10 or so a draft. While I understand the need for realism, forcing a 40% bonus for ALL 1st rounders seems a bit excessive imo.

Also, prior to the rookie salary cap, contracts were rarely fully guaranteed, number 1 ovr or not.