Rookie Symposium 2.0 Year 1 Draft Review/Season 2 Outlook

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by mmorgan184, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

1st Round 1st Pick: QB Wade Schumacher Northwestern 6'3" 233 (Avg. Development) Grade: A+

My scouting determined that he was the most NFL ready QB in the draft by possessing 99 throwing power, 80 short accuracy, 81 medium accuracy, and 83 deep accuracy. Enough said? Well not entirely. Wade Schumacher also has some speed with a 73 rating and possesses a 76 trucking rating. I am hoping that his huge arm will also keep defenses honest which will open up the run game for Trent Richardson and we are also looking forward to creating some big plays with his 84 play action rating.

2nd Round 1st Pick: LG Matt Hurley Miami Univ. 6'5" 344 (Avg. Development) Grade : A

Matt Hurley comes in as a rookie with 94 strength and incredible size. He also has 89 impact block and 85 run block which should help pave some huge holes next to All-Pro LT Joe Thomas and Pro Bowl C Alex Mack.

3rd Round 1st Pick: CB Tiras Brown Florida 5'10" 200 (Quick Development) Grade: A

Tiras Brown was a consolation pick for the Browns. We were hoping to get CB Heston Hill here but other team's did their homework and drafted him in the 1st round. Brown comes into the league ready to step into the starting line-up opposite of CB Joe Haden and should develop nicely over the year. He is a solid all-round corner with 76 man, 75 zone, and 75 press ratings along with 86 speed, 90 acceleration, and 82 agility. We aren't expecting him to be a shutdown corner but he should be solid opposite the stud that is Joe Haden

3rd Round 23rd Pick: RE Blaine Robinson SJSU 6'3" 260 (Avg. Development) Grade: A

Blaine Robinson was picked on the heels of WR Alex Givens who we were hoping to grab here....and we couldn't be happier. Blaine comes into the NFL rated as an 80 overall Speed Rusher and will be a great bookend to LE Jabaal Sheard. This duo should put fear into the quarterbacks if the AFC North and Browns opponents this season. Robinson shouldn't have any problem getting at the passer with 82 speed and 89 acceleration while also having a finesse move rating of 87. This pick was a steal.

5th Round 1st pick: RE Jameel Edwards Utah 6'5" 253 (Avg. Development) Grade: C

Jameel Edwards was also another consolation pick as we traded down from our only 4th round pick as both players we wanted in that round were the first 2 off the board. Edwards is going to be a great backup for Sheard and Robinson and also subbing into the interior on pass rush downs. He has 81 speed and 88 acceleration along with 83 finesse moves. We look forward to seeing how he develops in his limited role.

5h round pick 19: HB Tyron Dore UNC 5'11" 228 (Avg. Development) Grade: C

Tyrone Dore is a mini version of Trent Richardson without the burst. With 91 speed and only 80 acceleration he is buried behind a beep backfield of Tim Hightower and Montario Hardesty. Dore does have his upside though. He has 90 elusiveness and 89 trucking along with 89 stiff arm and 80 juke move and could develop into a great back up over the next few years.

6th round pick 1: WR Michael Campbell Utah 5'10" 187 (Avg. Development) Grade: A

Michael Campbell was a pick made out of frustration. All of the Browns scouted players had been drafted and I decided to let the CPU make this pick. It ended up probably being one of my most important picks. Campbell is going to replace the big hole left by Josh Cribbs in the return game and should step in as my #2 Wide Receiver lining up opposite of Josh Gordon. Campbell has the ability to get downfield with 93 speed and 93 acceleration and should be a viable receiver with 84 catching, 81 route running, 73 spectacular catch, and 66 catch in traffic. Where Campbell really shines though is his ability for YAC. With a 95 elusiveness rating, 92 juke, and 93 spin we hope he can be a dangerous return man and leave some of his opponent's jocks on the field with great moves downfield.

6th round pick 19: MLB Wesley Abel Bloomsburg 6'1" 240 (Avg. Development) Grade: D

Also a CPU draft pick, Abel will be backing up MLB Dqwell Jackson and should see plenty of playing time and Jackson has a hard time staying on the field. Abel possesses some great physical tools and might develop into a solid rotational player during his career. With 90 hit power he should be a great fit in the bone crushing AFC North.

7th round pick 1: P Beau Lindsly UConn 5'11" 193 (Avg. Development) Grade: B

CPU pick. 89 kick power. Whatever.

7th round pick 19: FS Chris Parker UC-Davis 6' 197 (Avg. Development) Grade: C

CPU pick. Has 82 zone coverage rating and 92 hit power. Also has high 80s ratings in speed, agility, and acceleration. Should see some playing time and we look forward to a lot of big hits on Steelers/Bengals/Ravens wide receivers trying to come over the middle. Should be a good pair with him and TJ Ward enforcing their will on opponents.

UDFA WR Casey Clowney Syracuse 6'4" 236 (Avg. Development) Grade: A

How did Casey Clowney not dominate college and get on everyone's draft board? With 72 route running, 89 spectacular catch, 82 release, 89 catch in traffic, 74 catching, 90 speed, and 99 jump ratings he should have been one of the top college prospects this past year. Clowney steps in and will immediately become a threat in the passing game and challenge Campbell and Gordon for the majority of playing time.

Overall Draft Grade: B+

Season 2 Schedule:

@ Seahawks
    vs 49ers
    vs Dolphins
    @ Jaguars
    @ Steelers
    vs Titans
    Bye
    @ Ravens
    vs Cardinals
    vs Ravens
    @ Texans
    @ Rams
    vs Bengals
    vs Colts
    vs Steelers
    @ Bengals
    @ Chargers

Playing at the Seahawks and following up with the 49ers at home should be a good test for rookie QB Schumacher and our young offense. If we can get through those 2 games 1-1 and have a good showing against the returning NFC West champion San Francisco I really think we have a chance to compete for a playoff spot and become a legendary Head Coach in Cleveland. There will be some growing pains on offense still as we will be starting 3 rookies (QB Schumacher, WR Campbell, LG Hurley) and a couple of second year players (RT Schwartz, WR Gordon, RB Richardson) but we hope that free agent pickups TE Dallas Clark, FB David Johnson, and RG Kraig Urbik can mesh quickly into the Vertical Passing/Power Run scheme we plan to implement and start putting some points on the board.

On defense we are hoping defensive ends Sheard and Robinson can really get at the passer and cause some havoc in the backfield of opponents. Phil Taylor and Athyba Rubin should be formidable up the middle again, and the linebacker corps of Jackson, Gocong, and Johnson should be solid performers again. Joe Haden and rookie CB Tiras Brown should play well with safeties T.J. Ward and Eric Hagg with plenty of man and zone coverages mixed in.

Overall the Browns look forward to this upcoming season and all the excitement that rookies bring with it. We finally have some truly impactful players on both sides of the ball and will be looking to throw a bunch of points up on the board every game. It should be a great year for a tortured franchise and fan base.

Prediction: 9-7 with a wildcard playoff appearance. Who knows what will happen from there?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. xassassin4lifex

xassassin4lifex Walk On

My team averaged about a B for every position, but my team is a 69 overall? Anyone have any idea why?

3. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

What do you mean?

4. xassassin4lifex

xassassin4lifex Walk On

When i go to where you can look at your position grades...you can see every position, and if its an A, B, C, D, or F.

5. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

I think that has more to do with your depth at that position. But where are you seeing your ratings? I've found the ratings in the game lobby don't change. You need to highlight progress players under My Actions and those ratings for Offense and Defense are dynamic.

6. xassassin4lifex

xassassin4lifex Walk On

Im not home anymore. I dont remember what i clicked on to see that

7. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

Updated OP with my review and prognosis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

The Seattle Seahawks entered the draft with a set game plan. Position needs were obvious, and coach Selvy and the rest of the front office left New York feeling pretty good about their haul. "We knew we needed to add a playmaker at receiver," said the coach. "When we lost Golden (Tate) last year, our lack of depth really limited what we could do offensively." Enter first round pick Howard Moore, a 6'4, 229 lb WR out of California. "We really liked Moore, our scouts had him pegged near the top of our board. Great hands, great size. He'll be a tough matchup for any nickel DB or linebacker."

Seattle also grabbed WR Bryan Buie in the 4th round. "Buie is another big receiver with a giant vertical to boot. He's a little more raw than Moore, needs to work on his release and route running, but should be very serviceable on 3rd downs using those big mitts in traffic areas."

The 'Hawks used their 2nd round pick to fill another need at right tackle, taking Harlos Ray out of Ohio State. The big man (6'4, 327 lbs) is a solid run blocker and hopefully can help spark a run game that struggled most of last season.

The Seahawks then traded their 3rd and 4th round picks to move up and grab a second 2nd rounder, taking defensive tackle Daniel Ryland from Texas A&M. "Losing Alan Branch really hurt us, and once the DTs started coming off the board, we knew that the we couldn't wait around. Ryland obviously won't be able to replicate Branch's abilities right away, but he's going to be asked to step up in a big way."

The Seahawks used their final two picks on a couple of hail mary's. FS Troy Johnson and HB Ego Hobbs are long shots to make the final roster.

"We're pretty content with how things panned out for us. Obviously only adding 3 guys to the roster wasn't our best case scenario, but the guys we got are going to fit right in. Free agency and the draft hopefully brought us some more explosiveness on offense. We know what we had on the defensive side, almost all of our guys from last season are back, so it was just a matter of putting more points on the board. Russell Wilson's going to be the guy, he's got a year under his belt and we expect a big step forward this season."

The Seahawks just missed out on the playoffs last season, finishing 8-8, but if they hope to improve on that, the offense that finished last in the league is going to have to do their share.