Roster edit questions

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Roster edit questions

Firstly, I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with me editing my roster during the dynasty. I always make my front 7 (or 6) dress the same (tinted visors, long black sleeves) and I'm also very particular about numbers. I keep with Michigan's traditions (I don't use retired numbers and I only give #1 to a stud WR who has earned the right to wear it. In my 11 years of my offline dynasty, only 1.5 years did anyone get to wear #1) and I also have my own specific traditions too. It's fine for me to change equipment and numbers right?

Secondly, I'm curious what we do about actual roster edits for the roster we begin the dynasty with. This can certainly be a touchy subject because I'm sure we'll all have players that we think are underrated. The reason I bring this up, however, is because Michigan's roster is really beneficial for me, and there's likely going to be similar situations on other teams. This might not be the case when we see the fixed rosters, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Michigan's QB position on teambuilder goes live.

Michigan's real QBs are:
    #1 - Tate Forcier - Speedy FR who will run the spread nicely.
    #2 - Nick Sheridan - Slower JR who's a big step down from Forcier.
    #3 - David Cone - JR who'll never be more than a signal relayer.
    If Forcier gets hurt, we'll lose a lot at QB and if Forcier and Sheridan both get hurt, we're completely hosed.

In NCAA'10, however, there is Forcier (83/85 OVR/SPD), Sheridan (76/77 OVR/SPD) but they also have another Freshman who is 80/88!!!(the fastest QBs in the game are 90 SPD) OVR/SPD. Michigan had 2 other speedy QBs (one ranked just below Forcier and one ranked just above him) give verbal commits along with Forcier, but the other 2 backed out and went to Tulsa and somewhere else. This guy is clearly one of them.

So, if this is in the final roster, and this is how we start, my wolverines will be in much, much better shape if Forcier goes down and in addition to that, I wouldn't have to recruit another speedy QB immediately like the real wolverines will.

So, in situations like this, would we edit the default rosters (and firmly perch ourselves on a pretty slippery slope) or should we use the (fixed) rosters as is?

2. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

Good topic. I think that the mystery QB is Denard Robinson though, who is a legit sprinter, so I don't think that you should feel bad about him being one the roster.

I hope that we do allow some leeway for edits. I won't get too caught up on "underrated" players unless we are talking about guys who were previously voted All-SEC who are mistakenly rated in the 70's. My main concern will be guys being put at the wrong position, which seems to always happen.

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Something we'll need to discuss when the edited rosters come out for sure. Hopefully we don't have to make too many manual edits, but I think we should keep the door open to this. Forcier's speed might be right, but 83 OVR? And Denard Robinson 80 OVR? Those ratings should be reserved for top 50-type recruits. ND has a true freshman listed (#16, walk on Nate Montana) who besides being a sophomore is listed as an 84 ovr if I remember correctly. He's a walk-on. I'm keeping fingers crossed for some major editing, but we'll probably have to do a bit of our own to make things a bit more realistic.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I am very, very hesitant about manually editing rosters. The only way I could see it working is with a single person as a final say, and I don't want to be that guy. But if we have 12 editors, we will likely edit in more mistakes than we remove.

We should be very careful with this. Hopefully the guys who did last year's are already working on this year's and we'll have an updated set pretty quick.

5. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

Considering the current roster snafu, I don't think that anyone is working on the rosters now. Remember, the "corrected" default roster won't even be available for download until the game releases, according to what has been reported on OS and other sites.

I think that once a named roster set is released we should submit changes for league approval. If they are approved by the membership, then the commish should make the changes on the roster file that we intend to use. Like I said before, I'm talking about stuff like wrong classes or positions, not ratings. If someone wants to submit a ratings change, then I think that they should present why the rating should be changed and again leave it up to league approval.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The only problem I see with this is that we're not going to say no, or we won't say it enough. We're sim players, but we're also human. Guys will make edit proposals that put their teams in better positions, and we'll approve them, and then it will becomes a source of animosity later in the year when an edited player makes a play or wins a heisman or whatever. Not saying it will happen a lot, but when that door's opened, it stays open for a long time.

Not to mention the fact that almost all of us have inflated opinions of our teams. Whatever the source of the roster edits may be, it is much better for everyone if that source comes from outside the league.

Hopefully good roster files come out quickly, and we won't have to worry about it. Most of the big schools get analyzed carefully, so we should be OK if things get done at a decent pace.

7. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

I could see your point if we were only talking about ratings, but I think that class and position changes should be allowed if they are incorrect.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't think anyone would have an issue with position changes, especially if they're just corrections.

9. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I agree.

10. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Agreed. Position changes to reflect real-world position changes are the ONLY team editing that I would be in favour of. Well, I don't have a big problem with editing jersey #'s either for the true fanatics.

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Agree. It's best to stay clear of ratings. We could all make arguments for players on our teams.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I think we should use the rosters of someone reputable and leave the tweaking to them. RomanCesear or someone.

That way there is no slope, we have a firm line to maintain.

Just my opinion.