RRAH's Fitness Log

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by RRAHx2, May 16, 2013.

1. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

Hey guys you all know me as RRAHx2. I am going to use this thread as my fitness log to document my journey to get back in shape.

As I have posted on this site before, ( http://forums.traditionsportsonline...nd-exercise-section.94456/page-5#post-1312453 ) I have done a dramatic weight-loss journey once before. That was last year, but unfortunately I did not document any of my progress or blog any of it, so I am going to do that now. I have, what I consider to be, a good amount of knowledge in the fields of exercise, nutrition, and fitness. I will put that knowledge to use here, and document every single moment of it. Hopefully, this will motivate others to get in shape as well and this will also offer as a "template" or "guide" to those less knowledgeable in this process.

Here at TSO, there are many users who have on-going threads about off-line franchise's or leagues that they play in and the progress they have made in those. So I thought I could do the same, but instead of video games, I would be progressing my strength, and fitness level. I am going to document everything! My eating habits, my goals, my workouts, my schedules, my body statistics, my workout music playlists, etc etc. If it pertains to my weight-loss journey, you will be able to read about it here. I am going to try to post ATLEAST once per day, however realistically I am going to shoot for a MINIMUM of 4 times a week. That way nobody, especially myself, loses interest and stops posting. Everyone who has any questions or suggestions feel free to post up anything you like in here, as long as it is not anything negative or derogatory, obviously.

So without further ado, let's begin!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quick back story on me:

Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 195 lbs
    BF %: 26+ (estimate)
    Who I am:
    I am in my mid-20's, I have a family (wife and 2 kids). My son is oldest he is 5 y/o, I also have a daughter born on 02/18/13 (so soon to be 3 mos old). I work as an air traffic controller in the mid-west, so my work schedule is shift work. I work 2 evening shifts (2pm-10pm) followed by 2 morning shifts (6am-2pm) and end the week on 1 midnight shift (10pm-6am), so obviously with work and my fam I have a full schedule already. Not to mention, my son has soccer on the weekends and I am the commissioner of a Madden league here on TSO. So I have VERY little free time (hopefully this will help me be more efficient in my time management also).

I played Varsity hoops in HS and I have been working out on a some-what regular basis since I graduated high school, so I am no noob to fitness. I have tried many, many workout routines and diets. I have done marathons, triathlons, endurance racing (Spartan Race), and intra-mural sports. I have done the 5x5 method, WBB method, Insanity, Crossfit, HIIT, you name it. In regards to my body, it is in very good condition durability-wise. I have never been hospitalized and have never had any conditions requiring medicial treatment. The one injury I have sustained, was in HS. I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. That led me to give up sports and exercising for awhile. That has since passed, I believe, as I have not had any knee pains in over a year.

How I got fat... again:
    I know you are asking yourself, "How could this guy let himself go so much?" Well it's quite simple really. My woman got pregnant. Needless to say my diet immediately went to shit, as we were eating out at restaurants regularly and I had 0 time for the gym. So as she gained weight, I did too. Many call this "sympathy weight" that the man gains with the pregnant to avoid the woman feeling more insecure about her weight gain. So those 2 reasons are what caused me to put on roughly 30 lbs of fat in 8 mos. :banghead:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals:
    • Long-Term Goals (5 Months +):
    1. < 7% BF
    2. Bench Press Max >325 lbs
    3. Squat Max >400 lbs
    4. Snatch >225 lbs
    • Medium-Term Goals (1-5 Months):
    1. Complete Marathon
    2. Lose >20 lbs
    3. Bench Press Max >225 lbs
    4. Squat Max >315 lbs
    5. Deadlift Max >300 lbs
    • Short-Term Goals (<1 Month)
    1. Drink 72 oz Water Daily
    2. Abstain from "Fast Food" Completely
    3. Lose >5 lbs
    4. Perform at least 8 hours of physical activity per week
    5. 10 Days of a "Juice Only" diet
    6. No Artificially Sweetened Foods
    Overall Goal
    • Gain Strength NOT Weight - Ideally I don't want to weigh more than 180-185 lbs. I am trying to see how strong I can get while staying at a reasonably natural size. So my diet will not be of high-caloric intake
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Method:
    I do not believe there is such a thing as a "perfect" workout or nutrition plan, therefore I will be creating my own routines and diet. I will be combining some methods I have used in the past, as well as shooting from the hip, and trying new things every once in a while. When it comes to training, the one motivation-killer for me is routine. I can not stand doing the same things over and over again, I need variety. So my workouts will be constantly varied, but always of high-intensity.

For exercise, I will be doing many forms of cardio as well as weight training. Swimming, Cycling, Rowing, Running, Sports, etc, etc. For weight training, I will be doing mainly compound lifts. All of my exercises will use either DB or BB. I hate machines, and avoid using them at all costs. I will be practicing Olympic Lifts regularly, as they are needed to improve overall coordination and strength.

For Nutrition, I am going to start off by doing a 10-day juice diet. After that I plan to follow a strict paleo diet, that will include some intermittent fasting.

Diet will consist of:
    • Lean Meat
    • Vegetables (non-starch variety)
    • Nuts & Seeds
    • Fruits & Berries
    • Minimal Carbs
    • NO Sugar
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

So now that I have laid the ground-work for this project, I will begin first thing tomorrow morning. Tonight I may go for a light jog or something, I will be sure to post everything up here though.

P.S. If anybody knows any good fitness or diet tracking apps please recommend me some!

Enjoy guys and wish me luck!

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I'm sure other will agree with saying that myfitnesspal is a great app for tracking food intake.

You have any juice diet that you are following?

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RRAHx2

Tonight's jog:

Untitled.png

It's pretty slow time overall. I am happy I did it though.

Off to bed, I have to be up bright and early for work.

4. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

What juice diet are you doing??

I'm just starting to get back into the gym myself after a long 3 month break. Tried the Paleo a couple months ago, not too bad. Going forward I plan to just eat the cage free eggs, farm raised chicken, etc., etc. that it consists of. I think a 10 day juice program is something I'd like to look into to kick things off though. Any links or anything for it?

5. RRAHx2

Here are the main 3 recipes I will be using. There are plenty of others, but I have tried these first hand, and I know they are good. I just use juicerecipes.com and they have plenty of recipes to try.

Mean Green

[​IMG]

Ingredients
    • Apples (granny smith) - 2 medium (3" dia)
    • Celery - 4 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
    • Cucumber - 1 cucumber (8-1/4")
    • Ginger - 1 thumb (1" dia)
    • Kale - 6 leaf (8-12")
    • Lemon - 1/2 fruit (2-3/8" dia)
    Green Lemonade
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients
    • Apples - 2 medium (3" dia)
    • Cucumber - 1 cucumber (8-1/4")
    • Kale - 4 leaf (8-12")
    • Lemon - 1 fruit (2-1/8" dia)
    • Spinach - 2 cup
    Fruity Punch With A Twist

Ingredients
    • Apples - 2 medium (3" dia)
    • Kiwifruit - 4 fruit (2" dia)
    • Lemon (with rind) - 1/4 fruit (2-3/8" dia)
    • Lime (with rind) - 1/4 fruit (2" dia)
    • Oranges (peeled) - 2 fruit (2-5/8" dia)
    • Pineapple - 1 fruit

6. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Lol, that Mean Green looks legit. Haha. Precciate it man. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RRAHx2

Day 1
    Diet:
    • 7 AM Breakfast:
    Minor setback this morning. I was not able to get to the store before work, so I could not get the vegetables needed to juice my breakfast/lunch. I will probably go to Subway for lunch and keep it as lean as possible. For breakfast, I just had time to stop at the gas station on the way to work. So I grabbed the healthiest thing I could find, which was:

Untitled.png [​IMG]

dffff.png [​IMG]

Neither of these items are what I would deem as "healthy". However, given the circumstance, it was the best of bad choices. I am getting 40g of protein which is decent, but it is costing me 18g of fat, including 7g of saturated fat. The Sugar levels aren't bad per say, so I can live with those numbers. Again it is definitely not the juice breakfast I wanted, but I ran out of time. More to come at lunch time.

Meal Grade: C+
    Good amount of protein, but the fat : protein ration did more damage than good in the long run. The Sugar didn't help any.
    • 12:30 PM Lunch:
    For lunch, I had 30 mins off work, so I ran down the street to Subway. I was trying to get nothing but healthy foods, and go for nutrition not flavor. I could care less what the food I eat tastes like, I am only concerned with what the food will give me in return. So, I got a 6" Turkey Breast Sub, on 9-Grain Honey Oat Bread. No cheese as that is just needless, dairy products. The only toppings I got were Lettuce, Cucumbers, Spinach, and Green Peppers, basically all the green stuff. For a drink, I grabbed a Sweet Tea (more on that later), and a bag of Baked Lays.

I only ate half of the chips and less than half the drink. These are the 2 unhealthiest parts of the meal, so I tried to keep the consumption to a minimum. All in all, here is the caloric values of what I ate:

Calories: 775 Cal
    Calories from Fat: 65 Cal from Fat
    Sugar: 37g
    Carbohydrates: 109g

Meal Grade: B-
    Low in Fat, but high in Sugar and Carbs. If I cut out the Sweet Tea, it could of possibly been an A-. Good portion size. Feel satisfied but not "full".
    • 11 PM Dinner:
    Fasted for the entire afternoon. For dinner I ate the other 6" sub I got from Subway, earlier in the day. This time, I drank a 20 oz bottle of water instead of a sweet tea. This including I left out the chips as well, should make this a better meal overall. 11PM would be way too late to eat under normal circumstances, but since I am working the midnight shift tonight I am going to be up all night.

Calories: 580 Cal
    Calories from Fat: 65 Cal from Fat
    Sugar: 15g
    Carbohydrates: 94g
    Meal Grade: B+

The only problem I had with this meal was the high number of Carbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise:

• 3 PM Workout #1:
    I had 30 mins of free time, so I hit the weights real quick before I picked my son up from school. I felt good about my form in this workout, and I didn't push myself too hard. I did challenge myself, as I was pressed for time I kept my rest to 1 minute max between sets.

Bench Press - 5x5: 135lbs, 155 lbs, 165 lbs, 175 lbs, 175 lbs
    Front Squat - 5x5: 135 lbs, 135 lbs, 135 lbs, 135 lbs, 45 lbs

Hoping to head back for Workout #2 tonight

Workout Grade: B+
    Was a decent workout, form was good, and motivation was high. Minimal time standing around. In and out of the gym in 30 mins.
    • 930 PM Workout #2:
    Went to the gym for 40 minutes before work. I try to be in and out of the gym in as little time as possible. I want to avoid staying longer than 45 mins unless I am doing some sort of cardio activity. So I just stopped in to finish up my weight lifting for the day. Again, I kept myself to a rest of no longer than 1 minute between sets.

Deadlift - 5x5: 135 lbs, 185 lbs, 205 lbs, 225 lbs, 225lbs
    Push Press - 5x5: 95 lbs, 115 lbs, 115 lbs, 115 lbs, 115 lbs

Workout Grade: A-
    Form was solid, lifts were explosive. Moved a decent amount of weight, haven't DL'd this much weight in almost a year. Great motivation, sore already.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  8. RRAHx2

Updated OP with Overall goal and methods.

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Dude consider me a follower of this thread , really like what you are doing here. I know making public claims for goals puts pressure on people sometimes and can make you stick to it more , hope this does that for you.

I might make a thread of my own soonish , I'm curious if an out of shape 35 year old can improve his fitness to point where he can dunk a basketball lol. I am white & 35 so that's 2 strikes off rip :p

10. RRAHx2

LOL thanks for the words man! You should do it, and at least give it a try! But I agree it would be sweet to dunk. I am 5' 7" so I never considered that really. The closest I got was in HS I could get my fingers half way above the rim.. but I was like 145 lbs back then :oops:

11. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Me too, lol. Pretty good idea here. I like it, I like it alot. I think doing something like this would definitely help someone looking to get into shape out along the way. Let's you also see and realize what you are putting in your body. Great stuff, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  13. RRAHx2

Day 1 finished.

14. RRAHx2

Day 2

This morning, I got off work at 6am and went home and went to bed. Woke up at about 1130 am, BS'd around until 230pm at which time I decided to hit the gym for the first time today. Mind you I haven't eaten since 11pm the night prior, so I am in the middle of a dam long fasting session. Hit the gym, come home and BS some more until 7pm when I hit Target and finally buy my juicing ingredients:
    • 8 cucumbers
    • 10 Lemons
    • 2 bags of Celery
    • 1/2 lb of Ginger
    • Spinach Leaves
    • Baby Kale
    • 1 Bag of Green Apples
    • 1 bag of Oranges
    Total comes out to about $34.. and should make me about 3-4 days worth of juice.

Nutrition:
    • 7PM Meal 1:
    For dinner, I ate a Baked Potato.. with 0 toppings. All those extras are just unhealthy flavorings. Also, I made a Mean Green Juice.

potato.png juice.png
    Meal Grade A
    The Baked Potato with no toppings and a juice totaled to about 390 Calories, 99g of Carbs and only 2.7 g of fat. The 13g of Protein is what surprised me about this meal. It is just as much protein out of the Bar I had yesterday morning, but with only 1/4 of the Fat. While it is a bit high in sugar, it is something I can deal with as that will all be used as energy in my workouts.
    Exercise:
    • 3PM Workout
    Ran to the gym from my house, but forgot to turn my run tracker app on before I started so it is not the entire run. The Gym is all downhill from my house, so it is an easy jog going, but hell coming back home. Was a little groggy in the beginning of the run, but once I got to the gym I was ready to go.

Run to the gym:
    Untitled.png

Workout:

Weighted Dips: 3R BW+25 lbs, 2R BW+45 lbs, 2R BW+45 lbs, 1R BW+45 lbs, 1R BW+25lbs, 1R BW+25 lbs, 1R BW+25lbs, 1R BW+25 lbs
    Burpees: 10, 8, 8, 4

Run back home:
    ssss.png

As you can see the incline on the hill is 128 ft. so it is a decent size, especially after a weight lifting session.

Workout Grade B
    This workout was pretty decent. I worked up a good sweat, and was pretty tired when I got home. More cardio than lifting today, but that is fine considering it was "low calorie" day. Good intensity.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  15. RRAHx2

Day 3

Spurs Game today! Pumped and ready for 230 to get here, should be a great series if any of you are basketball fans. Anyway back to the nitty gritty. Hoping to get 2 workouts in today, and today is a "high calorie" day, so might make an extra juice. Enough chit chat, lets get to it.

Nutrition:
    • Meal 1 10AM
    Drank a "Mean Green" juice this morning for breakfast. I am really liking the taste of these juices. I follow the recipe I shared in the beginning of this thread, but I also add 1/2 of an orange in for some more flavor. The flavor Kale and Ginger can be very strong if you add too much or you are not used to it, so the orange helps a lot.

• Meal 2 3PM
    Unfortunately, I gave in on this one. I went to a local sports bar to watch the Spurs stomp on the Grizzlies (they jsut crushed 'em). While I was there, I had a cheeseburger. Again, there was no toppings as the burger in itself was unhealthy enough already. I am gonna have to work double time the next couple of days to undo this damage, lol.

Exercise:
    • Workout 1 12PM
    Went to the Gym around noon, to workout before the game. As usual, ran there and back. Here are my times:

Untitled.png

Workout:
    Bench Press 5x5 - 135, 185, 185, 135, 135
    Hang Clean 5x5 - 135, 135, 135, 135, 135
    Jump Rope Alt Single/Double Unders - 3x20

dasd.png

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  16. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    There are tons of things you can throw on a baked potato to give it some flavor. Salsa, mustard, etc.

17. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

just wanna say deadlifts are the truth. I've been weight lifting for about 12 yrs (also started in my early 20's) and after cutting my BF down under 14%, deadlifts will give you development in every muscle group... not just your back.

getting below 12% for BF will be a big challenge however... you really have to screw with your diet and do some serious fasting when you get to that point.

18. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

This is good stuff man! I will be following along, always enjoy to see how others are doing it. I personally like to think I know nothing about nutrition (or at least don't know how to work it into my diet). Workout wise I feel confident in my lifts and HIIT Cardio. I don't much care for the distance cardio (steady-state cardio). Best of luck to you though.

19. RRAHx2

Day 4

*This was for yesterday, but I didn't have time to post anything*

Monday is here, but for my schedule it is Sunday. A day off while the woman is at work and my son is at school, just me and the baby today. the baby sitter stopped by so I could go to the gym for a bit. So I tried to make the most of my time. Also, now that I am getting a little better with my jogging and have a bit more energy I am going to start trying thrown in a few more workouts.

Nutrition:
    • Meal 1 2PM
    Again, I started the day off with a juice. Nothing new to add here.
    • Meal 2 6PM
    Another juice same kind. I also threw in a protein shake after my juice. Nothing special just 8oz of water and 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein
    • Meal 3 9PM
    Had a slice of DiGiorno Pizza.. really regretted it afterward, but not during of course. I have had 2 bad meals the last 2 days. Gonna have to start drinking more juices, to keep myself full.

Exercise:
    • Workout 1 1230PM
    zasasdasd.png

Front Squat 3x5 - 135 lbs, 185, 185
    Farmer's Walk 3x10 Paces - 100lb DB
    Leg Curls* 5x5 - 105, 105, 105, 120, 120
    Jump Rope* 5x40 - 20 Single/20 Double Unders

* - Alternating Sets

aswwwwww.png

20. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

just curious to know, as I am following along, do you take any supplements besides protein? (vitamins or pre-workouts or anything really)

21. RRAHx2

No, not as of yet. I used to take quite a bit of supplements, but I haven't this go around. I wanna see what I can do with just a good diet, first. Maybe I will once I plateau.

22. RRAHx2

Day 5
    [/B][/SIZE]
    Woke up bright and early this morning, and made myself a juice for breakfast. Feeling good, I can notice a difference already in the mirror. More motivation!

Nutrition:
    • Meal 1 - Mean Green Juice
    • Meal 2 - Mean Green Juice
    • Meal 3 - PB Sandwich and Protein Shake
    Exercise:
    • Workout 1 -
    sdfd.png

*Deadlift 5x5 - 185, 185, 185, 185, 135
    *Back Extensions 5x10 - BW

* - Alternating Sets

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  23. BrewBomber

BrewBomber Walk On

Check out NOOM

24. RRAHx2

Day 6
    Took a rest day on Wednesday, sore from all the running and lifting. No workouts today.​

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  25. RRAHx2

I Haven't abandoned this thread, but with it being the holiday weekend I have been short on time to post. Will update either tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 1