Rugby Style Punts: Vote

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kasper, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Which option do you prefer? Please read my message below before voting.

Poll closed Mar 11, 2012.
  1. Option A

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Option B

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

It was a while ago that someone was doing this to me somewhere, so I just started doing it too. For those that don't know what I mean by Rugby Style, it is when you basically lower your punt/kick meter all the way down and kick it hard. It hits the ground (usually) before the returner can get there and most of the time you get a few more yards. I don't care one way or the other on this topic, but will leave it up to a vote. The choices will not be public, if you want to let people know how you feel publicly, simply make a comment below.

Option A - We will allow this rugby style of punting, and no changes will be made.

Option B - We do not allow rugby style punts. If you are going to coffin corner it, you must make an attempt to kick it out of bounds while the ball is still in the air.

I hate to micromanage this, but I think it is something we should make a quick ruling on. If you don't care one way or another, simply don't vote.

Masler
    Philstyle3005
    BPHusker
    Oshiomogho
    sawemoff
    Gho5t9
    hurricane216
    stiff bon air
    fuzzyl0gic
    JQwon13
    Steamer43

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Are you talking about the angle punts that hit the ground and roll because they're basically impossible to catch? Or short high kicks too?

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yep, those that are impossible to catch.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I don't see anything wrong with the short high kicks - your giving up yardage because you are scared of the returner... common tactic imo in real life.

5. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

Rugby punts have their place (say too far for a FG but too far to go for it on 4th). Lots of teams will do it in that situation so I think we should lay out some parameters for it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Yea I don't mind them. With the defense I have no user will be punting playing against me :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

The big thing is though that in real life rugby punts get shanked or other stuff. On NCAA I can hit the exact same 2-3 yard area damn near 10 out of 10 times.

And regarding using them when you are in between FG range and a longer 4th down-- whats the difference between simply kicking it out of bounds to begin with? If you are "outside of FG range" but too far to simply do a normal punt, there is probably around 35-45 yards of space. Kicking it rugby style or normal shouldn't make a difference.

8. hurricane216

hurricane216 Banned

Option A. if its used in real life let me be used here

• Like Like x 1