RULE CHANGE: Dropping back and/or rolling out with the QB

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CHUNKNESS, Feb 21, 2011.

1. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Over the last few weeks there have been several complaints regarding excessive use of unrealistic QB movement to the outside of the pocket. These complaints have come from several different owners regarding several different opponents in several different game situations. It has become difficult for Eddie and I to enforce a general QB movement rule due to the subjective interpretation of the previous rule. One thing is apparent. We're seeing an increase of QB movement out of the pocket on a majority of passing plays. This strategy is all fine and good in the NFL. However, when playing a video game like Madden 11, it is not considered strategy when used excessively. QB movement to the outside of the pocket is a tactic that is used to put the opponent on defense at a disadvantage, particularly when sprinting the QB toward the sidelines immediately following the snap - not to mention that it is unrealistic. With that said, the rule regarding QB movement has been changed as follows (changes appear in orange):

This rule change is not open for debate. If you do not like the rule, we are sorry for the inconvenience as we, too, do not agree with limiting play calling. However, we have been forced to do so. Please understand that we are not singling anyone out and we have implemented the rule change to create a more "cut-and-dry" interpretation of the rule. Thank you for your attention regarding this.

2. CHUNKNESS

Just to clarify, QB runs are included in the count. Any kind of QB movement is counted toward the limit unless you are pressured out of the pocket.

3. Andyman33

Andyman33 Walk On

Doug, I really don't think this is a "vince young" rule because I really think taht I am still playing within those rules...but I will say that I think this is going to really limit what teams can do all because of some people that are hiking and sprinting to the sidelines...which pisses the crap outta me too. The problem is that there is going to be issues in my opinion...so my thought is why not just ban sprinting to the sideline or outside the pocket right after the snap instead of making a global rule that changes a lot more.
    Here are the problems I see:
    1. Playaction roll outs included in this? I would assume so based on the rule stated.
    2. Massive zone coverages where they are rushing 3 guys, no one is open...5 seconds go by...qb can't take the 5 yards running that the defense is giving them?
    3. Most everyone in 2011 plays man to man --- the middle of the field is open for 40 yards and they are playing qb contain and because I'm not a douche I stayed in the pocket so 1 or 2 guys are rushing me...if I've run ONE playaction roll out, ONCE I floated away from a blitzer(not sprinted but floated), and ONCE I took the 5 yards that the zone gave me now I have to throw it out of bounds and can't run right up the middle?
    In my opinion 3 is such a random number --- I can understand if people are sprinting to the left or right after the snap that we would want to limit that part, why not just ban that altogether and see if we still have problems other than putting a number with it for the above reasons I have stated? Again this is a GOOD rule at the heart, but why not just address the problem instead of globally making changes that are going to lead to trouble because one guy will be "I was pressured" which is also an interpretation...

4. CHUNKNESS

You are correct. This is not a "Vince Young" rule or even a "Michael Vick" rule as there have been in the past. The majority of the complaints received were NOT related to Vince Young or any other mobile QB. As a matter of fact, most of the complaints received involved QB's who are not known for their mobility outside of the pocket. As I indicated in the original post, we received several complaints from several owners regarding several different opponents in several different game situations. This is more of an issue of guys taking their QB out of the pocket on pass plays in order to take advantage of the defense. There has been a recent increase in these occurrences and warranted complaints, so that is the reason why we needed to take action before it becomes a league wide epidemic.

Any quarterback movement outside of the pocket - playaction, quarterback draw, or otherwise - is considered toward the three (3) total allowed unless the QB is pressured out of the pocket.

Is it going to limit what we can do? Absolutely. Are Eddie and I happpy that we even have to implement such a rule? Absolutely NOT. Is three a random number? Not necessarily because if an owner moves their QB out of the pocket more than three times a game on passing plays, they're relying on taking advantage of the defense too much. It still allows for owners to run an occasional rollout or quarterback draw by design. The original rule already banned sprinting out of the pocket immediately following the snap which apparently wasn't clear enough. We considered a 5 second rule, but again, the paramaters for such a rule would be interpreted differently by everyone. One person counts 1-2-3-4-5; and another counts 1-1,000-2-1,000-3-1,000-4-1,000-5-1,000; and the next one counts 1-1,000-2-1,000-3-1,000-4-1,000-5. You get my drift here. As for pressure in the pocket, you damn well better have a defender beat his blocker and/or you better have somebody chasing you out of the pocket if you want it to be considered a QB scramble. I don't think there's anything confusing about that.

I reiterate, this rule is not open for debate. It needs to be clear for Eddie and I to enforce. We want sim ball here. Play to beat your opponent and not the computer.

5. Andyman33

Andyman33 Walk On

Wasn't trying to be a dick...I honestly read "this rule change is open for debate"...obviously missed the NOT part!!! My bad dougie!!!

6. CHUNKNESS

LOL, dick! I've never thought of you as a dick Andy. Besides, you did express some valid concerns which I'm sure are on some other people's minds as well. Typically we do not rule with an iron fist here. However, with the recent influx of issues regarding QB movement, it was necessary for us to make an executive decision.

7. thaexistence

thaexistence Walk On

Damn, this is going to severely hurt Brady. I protest. With his 52 speed I break ankles so this kills me!!!

Good rule imo.