Rule Change

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by joseph201105, Jul 6, 2010.

1. joseph201105

joseph201105 OMFL- Oakland Raiders

Rule Change

I think the OLB playing DE is really cheese unless its in the Odd Split formation. Otherwise its so bad u can stay in a dime all day or a nickle wondering how u guys feel about this?

2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I think they need to be 260 LBS at least..

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

People should not be playing dime or nickel all day anyway. That falls under mixing up your play calling.

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

We already have a rule change in place for this for Madden 11 that will cover all position changed :) We'll let everybody know within the next few weeks.

5. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

Call em out Joseph!

6. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

If a player is calling nothing but 4 or 5 wide there isn't much you can do.

7. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

I think there is no problem with that and I'm not speaking just because Kapman has been playing DE all year for me. You have to think about this.

People who want a quick rush will try to put a quick LB down in the DE spot say Manny Lawson for example. Lawson is not going to beat the Tackle or even a guard because he ratings do not allow him to do so. Lawson just has the speed but that wont work much if you cant beat the blocks. Kapman is too slow to play LB but a beast when playing the line, his attributes allow for him to make the transition to DE. Converting players to new position is a given in the game CB to FS/SS and LB to DE but never to DT. There is no real advantage in doing this as the player has to be designed to fit into that role and 90% of the LB's in madden cannot play DE. As my players gotten older they have moved into new roles for me. Bodden played SS last year after dropping ratings at CB and Thomas would have been starting DE this year because of his drop.

Off the top a few that can and should be playing DE....

A.Kapman
    C.Okeafor
    A.Thomas
    E.Dumervil
    T.Suggs

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

There will be no LB's playing DE next version. We have already settled on that.

9. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I dont think we should settle on any rules for the new game yet when we dont even have it.

Pass rush is sooo crappy in 10, we can all agree on that right?

I think that it should be DE at DE only outside of the other sets that have LBs at DE.

Some guys as mentioned above put thier hands on the ground often in pass rush situations also...Formation subs are supposed to be added to Madden 11.

I just say wait and see before making blanket rules for a new game we havent even seen yet, and for one I could care less either way whether someone uses a LB at DE against me or not.

If they are in Nickle and Dime all game thats illegal anyway...

10. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Does anyone know if they fixed the 3-4 in 2011? It played horrible in 2010 IMO.

11. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

we will announce rules that will be set and if the game comes out and things really did change (i highly doubt it) then we can re-look at all rules.

12. Emmdotfrisk

I have been saying this all along.

13. pittrocks43

pittrocks43 TMFL Steelers

I'll give you guys to some insight in what Doug & I do in our league. We only allow OLBs to play DE if they ever played that position in the NFL (ie. Kapman, Suggs & Abraham). This can only happen if any of those types of players are playing in the wrong system or if your making a switch on D (ie. 3-4 to a 4-3). I'm sure the board has something in mind that will make every1 happy in the league

14. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

If people follow the rules and make defensive calls based off of what the offense runs then we shouldn't have people sitting back in dime and nickel formations. I for one do have Ware and Spencer subbed into my Dime formations because thats how they are used in real life. I have never seen the Cowboys in a Dime formation with Ware on the sideline. Also they are automatically put there in the Nickel formations, are we going to say that teams must manually move them out of these formations?

15. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

This is why I was asking about the 3-4. Right now I play Suggs as my 4-3 DE. I don't do it to be cheesy, but he actually does play DE on alot of downs (like Kapman and Abraham and even Dumerville) and came out of college as a DE. If the 3-4 doesnt really work again I would like to still play him at DE, but I am for anything rule we go with.

16. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Suggs as a 4-3 DE is fine. When players start sticking guys that are meant to be a 4-3 OLB that weighs about 240 and runs an 88 SPD, then that gets a little cheesy.

I would hope you guys know the difference between a 3-4/4-3 OLB and DE. The differences are night and day.

Many 3-4 OLBs can play 4-3 DE, No 4-3 OLB should ever play DE.

17. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't cheesing on anyone with Suggs. :)

18. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

To add to this, I have no problem with people shifting a rookie from OLB to DE, but ONLY if that OLB has the size and attributes suited for the position shift and it would need staff approval. Quite honestly, ALL position shifts should be a request and require staff approval.

19. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Heh, should the board members create another position for this?

20. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Heres a twister, how bout a DE to OLB? Call me crazy.

21. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

It shouldn't be that difficult to manage, but if necessary, yes. I would be more than happy to assist if it is outside of the usual/customary requirements of the current staff.

If they had played the position before and/or if it is a legitimate position change, why not?

22. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

My 2 cents (I dont think any of this pertains to me although it might - I really dont pay attention to who is my 2nd string DE's so they may be LB's who are subbed in when my #1's get fatigued - Ill check):

When I see a fast LB playing DE I will run at him all day long. But I do think there should be a minimum weight requirement of around 250-260 to eliminate any gray areas.

23. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

You really cant really ban it anyway because its part of a formation substitutions so you going to see a nice LB on the DE in passing situations anyway. Also as mentioned you guys should love to see a Julian Peterson, Manny Lawson or any other speed LB at the DE position cause you can dominate him all game long with the run and the pass. This is really a non-issue cause the way its described as being used is not successful at all.

I mean truthfully who in this league was dominate so bad by a speed LB at the DE that we should even be bringing this up?

24. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Again. A 4-3 DE can develop into a 3-4 OLB. It all depends on what kind of DE and OLB you are referring to.

25. Emmdotfrisk

this thread is unreal, I can't believe this is a heated debate haha.