Archived Rule Changes

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JerzeyReign, Jan 18, 2011.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

The purpose of this thread is to get any ideas of what adjustments, if any, to the rules we have to make things more realistic. This is not meant to discuss sliders. I repeat if you speak about sliders MaximusPrime will Chuck Norris kick you in the scrotum... very, very hard.... with steel toe Crocson;). So if you have something that pisses you off or feels like it hampers your 'sim' approach, voice your opinion. We're not trying to reinvent the wheel but... man, you guys know where I'm going with this!
    Yes, yes, yes... I have a flippin' suggestion. You knew it was coming, just lube up and take it. Matter of fact, forget the lube... I like a struggle (No Homo). Seriously, my suggestion is a 'two deep' type rule the Madden leagues implement to keep rosters 'even' or close to mimicking real life depth charts. Now I'm going to use a current coach as an example in my proposal but remember he did abide by the rules but did touch a gray area.
    My suggestion would be that every team had every position 'filled' out at least two deep during the season. Now this may be hard to explain through words so I'll break it down a bit.
    Instead of having your depth chart like (example Cornerback Position):
    1. Ronnie Lott Safety
    2. Deion Sanders CB
    3. Revis Island CB
    4. Asante Samuel CB
    Why not have it like:
    1. Deion Sanders CB
    2. Revis Island CB
    3. Asante Samuel/Ronnie Lott
    Or if your corners suck that bad change your safety's position in the PRESEASON to mirror that change. The guy is playing their anyway, why not just call him a corner? Makes sense to me but I wonder if it makes sense to all. That would go for all positions, except fullback. But when it comes to fullback maybe everyone should have ONE on their roster due to goalline packages. After the one FB tight ends may sit second string.
    Now I know your wondering about the 'example'. Well, in this case the coach's running back went down. Instead of plugging in a lesser quality back he plugged in his WR. The WR broke no restrictions whatsoever. But lets keep it real, would a coach ever put his best WR in that position in real life? No. I didn't go crazy about it (did ask a WTF type question) but kind of let it be since it technically didn't break any rules.
    I would just like to suggest a rule to 'govern' over such scenarios. To make it short and sweet I'm suggesting that only like positions that would 'sub' for each other be considered for such subbing during injuries. At the beginning of each season you must be at least two deep (except FB,K,P) in every position. If your starter becomes injured you must use the backup. If the backup goes down as well, you may use the 'best available' player that would naturally sub in for that position. I would like to push the 'depth' for corners and wide receivers to 4 deep before any 'abnormal' position is plugged in. Example, my top two running backs went down this season. I had to choose between a 42 overall HB and my FB. I started the FB obviously but it was a 'sim' move. Not saying anyone is not sim but you get it, right? No one is perfect (except Florida and WVU) but we damn sure are going to strive to be in BCS Chaos.[​IMG]
    Thoughts on this or any other rules in general?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I like the depth chart idea for sure.

We need to have something in place regarding running up the score to cover the spread. It could be loss of scholarships, mandatory benching of a player, simming a game, etc. Those are just off the top of my head so everyone chime in.

3. BG

BG On The Rize!

True and adding to what you said about running up the score, aren't we supposed to take starters out of the game once an established lead (like 21 points) has been made. I thought that was a site wide rule. Can't remember for sure, but I know thats the rule in another league I'm in. The consequences for not abiding by the rule is that your starters will not be able to play for the entire next scheduled game (just like you indicated). I think that would be a welcomed change! Just putting my 2 cents in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maximus21

I was unaware of a specific score that demanded that (my fault obviously) but I usually just run the clock out in those situations anyway. Not trying to get my thoroughbreds injured.

5. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

I agree with both suggestions

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Regarding running up the score, this is what I do:
    • Let my starters play the entire first half, regardless of score. Once I get a 28-35 point lead (never happens in Chaos for me) I stop trying to score but rather try different things (plays/packages). I don't have much time to do this due to the fact I probably grabbed that 28-35 point lead with really no time to experiment.
    • Starters are benched in a game where I'm up 28 or more at the half, period.
    • I run on 1st and 2nd downs and pass on third downs for first downs (ie I'm not looking for a deep pass but just enough for a first). Chew Clock Off.
    • Once the game is in the fourth (and I still have a huge lead) I run on 1st and second down with chew clock on. On 3rd and 6 or less I run the ball again. If its 3rd and 7 or more I throw for a first down.

If things are done for the right reasons I wouldn't care if a backup QB accumulated some stats in garbage time. But if your up by 35 at halftime and your starting (or even the backup) QB is throwing 80 yard touchdown passes, than yeah that would be a problem. Or if your up big and score ANY points with under a minute left. Things like that will drive someone up a wall. If anyone is guilty of that, hold your peace, the hammer and a salty scrotum will smack you eventually.

I say, if anyone is caught chasing a spread then they have scholarships taken away, suspended for the remainder of that season from participating in the gambling thread, and their games are not included for the rest of the season (unless its a user game).

Hopefully y'all provide some wonderfull insight on this stuff so I have something to read at work tomorrow.[​IMG]

7. Maximus21

Yea I basically run it all the way but I find it annoying that the game subtracts sportsmanship points for throwing a pass 10 yards or less for a 1st down on a 3rd down play. I know it doesn't matter cus no one ever looks at that shit but it's a pet peeve of mine.

8. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

I agree with this...the cpu blitzes 8 ppl and if you throw it three yards for a first or complete a screen you get -50 which pisses me off....

9. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

I agree with most of this stuff in principle; however, Ray, I do not believe that 28 points is a safe lead at the half - especially in this league. 4th quarter, fine. Also, sorry to be repetitive; I know I have made this point before.

10. ticketp1

ticketp1 Walk On

Oklahoma sure hasn't had a problem running up the score this year.

I like everything that is being said regarding the depth charts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boondock3691

Boondock3691 Walk On

rules are straight with me.

i would of moved one of those 99 overall wide receivers to running back if i had joined in the offseason.

but once i get my recruits in this wont be a problem.

Question for 2bits or Maximus:
    My backs are should be healthy for our game but i was planning on using my 3rd wr as my backup halfback too. this is the same guy who filled in earlier in the season. would yall be against that? i dont have a problem changing it but just wanted to let you know ahead of time

12. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

The general spirt of the rules (and actually the letter) is that WRs cannot be subbed in the Depth Chart. If your backs are not healthy and you are in a pinch, I think it is okay. Also, if the play call screen allows for a WR sub at HB, I am fine with that (some playbooks do this). But if you have healthy backs I would not feel comfortable with having a WR at HB in the depth chart. Just my opinion.

@Maximus21

13. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

The issue/problem with WR's playing at HB is simple...Traditionally, the WR on this game has two attributes that work huge for RB's. ACC and BTK. Usually WR's have high BTK ability and ACC. ACC to get off the line and BTK so they dont go down as soon as they catch the ball. HB's usully fall into two categories, power and speed. (The balanced guys are usually the ones with average stats). By putting a WR at HB, you effectively are giving that WR an advantage because he will usually have all the stats needed to be a great HB. SPD, ACC, CTH, BTK

I would be comfortable if there was a cap (restriction) on the ACC or Speed of the WR to be moved.

JMO

14. Maximus21

I second what 2Bits said

15. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

These are what i think the rules should be, all DB's interchangeable, all LB's interchangeable and all DL interchangeable. on offence O-line is interchangeable. FB can play HB, No WR at TE or HB. Obviously if theres injuries you have to play someone, but if you have an able body at the position he has to play before you can start switching. This includes redshirted players, so you would have to lift the redshirt and play these guys first. If your looking for more sim this does happen occasionally in real life were guys are force to play early.

Obviously you should do your position changes in the off-season but if you miss it, you can still save your defense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

I agree with drunken...although im never switching my oline around agin like i did before...It kills their awareness i think ? had some linemen this year and last year with over 90 rating but around 50 awareness! and they never seemed to get any smarter lol

17. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Ben, I think that happens when u switch a guy from offense to defense and vice versa. Robert Woods play both sides of the ball for me. He had high awr on offense but when he played corner his awr dropped to 50.

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I have something pro '2 deep rule' that I will explain later.

@DS: Your basically saying the same thing but burning someone's redshirts midseason will birth the 'super' players issue NCAA '10 had (99 overall players).

19. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Very good points fellas and appreciate everyone's input.